Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 09:14 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times

Advertisements

I ask because I'm a city resident born and raised here. I love it. I praise my city to others when I travel. Great location. Great amenities. World-renowned institutions in every sector. What's not to love?

But I'm not really feeling any love for it right now.
I always thought I was a city girl, but after living in another state in the MD suburbs just outside D.C. -- another major city with all the things Philly can offer -- I have to say if I didn't already have a house here, I wouldn't live in the city.
So maybe I'm not a city person anymore. Maybe I never was, and just thought being from a city, makes you 'a city person"

I'm a car person. I have driven everywhere since I was 16 -- even high school.
So maybe that's why I'm not 'feeling philly.' And cities are not car places. I'd rather drive to the suburbs and park than deal with broken parking kiosks, and have at least three streets on my journey downtown have lanes or blocks closed for construction. (I GET that all this building is good for Philly. And Lord knows I hope it brings plenty of major employers here. But it's a PITA for residents already here.)

I asked a person living in CC the other day why she does it. Actually I asked "do you like living in town?" She answered an enthusiastic, "yes." "You can walk every where, things to do, etc" We had a great conversation.

And I guess that just made me wonder even more, "Am I a city person?
You know, much as I love Philly, I don't think I am. But I don't THINK OF MYSELF as a suburbanite either. But maybe that IS more my lifestyle type. Because, I'd have no trouble living in a neighboring county, and just coming into the city just for whatever might bring me in town -- rare concert, Flower show, etc. Heck I live in the city now and go downtown as little as possible. My friends also. Those who live in Mt. Airy, for example, hardly ever go downtown. But then again Philly is a city of neighborhoods. So if you live in the Northeast, what to you really have to go in town FOR? other than something special that you can only get there.

Soooo, do you think of yourself as a city person -- and what does that even mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 10:24 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I ask because I'm a city resident born and raised here. I love it. I praise my city to others when I travel. Great location. Great amenities. World-renowned institutions in every sector. What's not to love?

I always thought I was a city girl, but after living in another state in the MD suburbs just outside D.C. -- another major city with all the things Philly can offer -- I have to say if I didn't already have a house here, I wouldn't live in the city.
So maybe I'm not a city person anymore. Maybe I never was, and just thought being from a city, makes you 'a city person"

I'm a car person. I have driven everywhere since I was 16 -- even high school.
So maybe that's why I'm not 'feeling philly.' And cities are not car places. I'd rather drive to the suburbs and park than deal with broken parking kiosks, and have at least three streets on my journey downtown have lanes or blocks closed for construction. (I GET that all this building is good for Philly. And Lord knows I hope it brings plenty of major employers here. But it's a PITA for residents already here.)

I asked a person living in CC the other day why she does it. Actually I asked "do you like living in town?" She answered an enthusiastic, "yes." "You can walk every where, things to do, etc" We had a great conversation.

And I guess that just made me wonder even more, "Am I a city person?
You know, much as I love Philly, I don't think I am. But I don't THINK OF MYSELF as a suburbanite either. But maybe that IS more my lifestyle type. Because, I'd have no trouble living in a neighboring county, and just coming into the city just for whatever might bring me in town -- rare concert, Flower show, etc. Heck I live in the city now and go downtown as little as possible. My friends also. Those who live in Mt. Airy, for example, hardly ever go downtown. But then again Philly is a city of neighborhoods. So if you live in the Northeast, what to you really have to go in town FOR? other than something special that you can only get there.

Soooo, do you think of yourself as a city person -- and what does that even mean?

I've always been a city person even when I was child I always loved the energy of any city I went to. I grew up in the suburbs, and learned to drive as a teen like you. It was normal. It was what most people did. I drove for almost 50 years. I gave it up two years ago. Why? Being retired, and living in the city, meant I didn't really need to drive. I didn't want to pay for car insurance, parking, registration. Reckless drivers and traffic congestion removed any joy or freedom I derived from driving. Lastly I did not want to be one of those seniors who are forced to stop driving and car ownership because of ill health. I made the decision to stop so no one else had to.

I will never drive again. And I will never live in a suburb again.

The whole city living issue was a no brainer for me. Once I got to a certain age with certain amount of disposable income I was spending most of my free time in the city. So making the move was easy and essential for my well being. I'm also gay and I needed to live somewhere where that would be less of an issue. I'm single so no one else affects my attitude about it. In fact I broke up with someone I really liked because they weren't city oriented. City living is so important to my psyche that I will give up relationships because it. I get a ton of choices that I can walk to including a world class art museum. One of the greatest symphony orchestras in the world is a 5 minute subway ride away from where I live. Then there's opera, ballet...
The food... well we all know about that I think. I feel God's blessing that I can be in NY in about 2 hours. What I don't have to do is plan making trips to the city from a suburban location, drive or take pub trans to it. Nowsdays I can do whatever I want more spontaneously.

When I was much younger I wanted to live in any of these: NYC, San Francisco, Paris or Milan. As it turned out I'm still in my hometown(lol) and that's more than fine with me.

I'm fairly familiar with NoVa. A good friend of my mine lived in Falls Church. Would I live there ? No.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:27 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,691 times
I never thought I would leave London, and even when we left, we planned to go back in 3 yrs. We bought a place but later on we came to the realization (more like an epiphany) that as much as we liked and enjoyed living in London, life was so much better elsewhere.

The main reason is because London is expensive and over crowded. We still go back there and we have nice house in a good location but chances are we will never live in that house. The house is paid off and we are renting it so it's costing us nothing to keep it. Millions would kill to be able to afford to live in London but not me. I'm just happy to visit London once or twice a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

So maybe I'm not a city person anymore. Maybe I never was, and just thought being from a city, makes you 'a city person"[/u]

Old 09-15-2017, 10:45 PM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
I grew up in the middle of a largish city in the Midwest - the Central Plains, to be specific. Once past Chicago, most American cities are less dense than those to the east of Chicago, and that fact makes driving easier: in fact, the city I grew up in has become known as much for its lack of traffic congestion - one survey found it to have the lowest traffic congestion of any city in the Western Hemisphere - as for its lovely parks and boulevards and its barbecue.

Of course, driving was a rite of passage there, but I learned my way around the city on mass transit before I learned to drive. I've maintained both the license and the transit habit ever since.

But I haven't owned a car since my freshman year of college and don't miss not having one at my personal beck and call. Car sharing gives me what I want whenever I feel I need a car for some purpose. (Well, everything but a true manual transmission.)

As for being a "city person," I'd say I definitely am. After riding the subway in New York City in 1970, I made a mental vow to myself that I would never live in a city without one. And I haven't since leaving Kansas City for college in 1976. The city you see on foot is vastly different, and richer IMO, than the one you see from behind the wheel, and there are all sorts of opportunities for chance encounters that you can't have while driving somewhere.

But after my two most recent visits, I think I could live in KC again if I needed to. Go figure.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:24 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,681,266 times
Might be worth it to consider a move to the suburbs with your current lifestyle. You still have enough access to the city, but possibility the space you want.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:59 PM

252 posts, read 234,180 times
I think a city person is someone who will live in a city at all costs despite any of the city B.S. because they can't imagine living anywhere else.

I think you sound more like a person who really enjoys the city but would be just as happy living in a nearby suburb and visiting Philly for the ammenities as you wish. I don't think being from the city makes one a city person.

Then there are the anti city people who live in the burbs or rural areas and hate the city and don't want anything to do with it because traffic, crime, etc. etc.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:46 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
I think a city person is someone who will live in a city at all costs despite any of the city B.S. because they can't imagine living anywhere else.

I think you sound more like a person who really enjoys the city but would be just as happy living in a nearby suburb and visiting Philly for the ammenities as you wish. I don't think being from the city makes one a city person.

Then there are the anti city people who live in the burbs or rural areas and hate the city and don't want anything to do with it because traffic, crime, etc. etc.
City people don't like to put up with BS any more than anyone else. It's just that not everyone has the same criteria for BS. I consider BS being in my car to run simple errands. Traffic, congestion, mowing lawns, long commutes, big box stores (not all, but several), etc. But that's not to say there aren't advantages. I also like peace, quiet, nature. It's just that I like street life, walking, small businesses, architecture, etc.

If you live in the city and you drive everywhere, you really should consider the suburbs. Not that city living cannot accommodate cars and driving, but that's a big part of it. I see a lot of people in Philly dying to have more car infrastructure and angry about traffic. Those folks would love to pull into a driveway, drive to the supermarket, drive to a restaurant, drive to a park.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:52 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
People can change over time. After living in Philadelphia or New York for so long it may become exhausting for some people, that is where walkable suburbs come into play. West Chester, Media, Ardmore, etc. can provide a perfect balance for people who need a break from the city, but still want the availability of a downtown. I know plenty of people who have left big cities for walkable suburbs or smaller cities like Denver or Pittsburgh and they love the balance. I love the beauty of walkable suburban communities, but I go nuts if I spend more then a few days there.

Personally, I am 100% a city person. When I walk out of Penn Station onto 7th Ave and I hear/ see the sheer chaos of Manhattan, I smile, whereas others cringe.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:18 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
People can change over time. After living in Philadelphia or New York for so long it may become exhausting for some people, that is where walkable suburbs come into play. West Chester, Media, Ardmore, etc. can provide a perfect balance for people who need a break from the city, but still want the availability of a downtown. I know plenty of people who have left big cities for walkable suburbs or smaller cities like Denver or Pittsburgh and they love the balance. I love the beauty of walkable suburban communities, but I go nuts if I spend more then a few days there.

Personally, I am 100% a city person. When I walk out of Penn Station onto 7th Ave and I hear/ see the sheer chaos of Manhattan, I smile, whereas others cringe.
I am the exact opposite of some: being in the 'burbs was mind-numbing to me, soul destroying, and a social desert ( when I was a gay youngling years ago). It was all so boring to me with no challenges.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 AM

288 posts, read 244,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I am the exact opposite of some: being in the 'burbs was mind-numbing to me, soul destroying, and a social desert ( when I was a gay youngling years ago). It was all so boring to me with no challenges.
+1 to all those ills. Pretty much lifeless and no energy. It's funny now how these communities like KoP village and Ardmore are trying to build themselves up as a half-assed attempt at "urban" life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia