Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:23 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,827,283 times

Advertisements

The exceptions (sick/not feeling well) are well managed by cabs/Uber. Of course, that's extra expense. I take an Uber every month or two when it's really needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 08:54 AM

32,755 posts, read 35,956,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I certainly had a bunch of ER trips when I was doing elder care so, yes, having my own car was a big help with that.
I was the one who needed to go--3 times in less than 48 hours!--and it was a mess. My son drove me there in my car because he didn't want me in his vehicle if it could be helped. LOL

Since my insurance doesn't cover ambulance fees, those trips would have cost me a lot of money.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:52 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,211,951 times
One thing to note about the opposite perspective. I currently don't have a car, but will need a car when I live the area in the not-to-distant-future.

The thing about living here though, even where I am in Mt. Airy, is that sometimes the thought occurs to me that it would be nice to have a car now to have a little bit of freedom to explore a larger part of the area before we leave.

But then I think about what I would actually use it for, in a practical manner. And I'd probably only really use it to go grocery shopping once a week. And it wouldn't be worth buying a car, even though we have a car money just sitting in the bank right now, because of the cost of insurance in Philadelphia. Just for a once a week grocery shopping trip.

Plus you shop smarter when you don't have a car. I'm amazed at what I see people buying in line at the Acme. Most weeks my wife just makes one trip. Sometimes I make a second trip. Occasionally we go together. We have a cart that we use a couple of times a year. Sometimes I stop at something in Center City like a CVS and buy some snacks before work during the week.

But the vast majority of things that we buy are actual food and food-stuffs, as opposed to expensive, bulky, packaged, processed stuff.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:15 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,526,571 times
An uber guy told me he once dropped a passenger at the ER and he thought they would die in their car. The passenger needed to be taken from one hospital to another and they did not want to use the ambulance because their insurance would not cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I was the one who needed to go--3 times in less than 48 hours!--and it was a mess. My son drove me there in my car because he didn't want me in his vehicle if it could be helped. LOL

Since my insurance doesn't cover ambulance fees, those trips would have cost me a lot of money.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
An uber guy told me he once dropped a passenger at the ER and he thought they would die in their car. The passenger needed to be taken from one hospital to another and they did not want to use the ambulance because their insurance would not cover it.
I wasn't sure if Uber would take me. The driver would either want to save my life or run because I was hemorrhaging. Blood isn't easy to clean up.

Inquiring minds? I awoke one morning to a nose bleed of epic proportions. I have no idea why. The ENT didn't have an answer. "Maybe you disturbed a blood vessel." Thanks...for nothing.

My son drove me to the ER. I had a few store bags, a roll of paper towels, box of tissues, and a few bottles of water so that I could rinse. People were moving away from me in the ER waiting room.

Bums me out that everyone there probably thought that I'd been snorting something.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:14 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,443,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Hello all,

Disclaimer:I've searched the forum and read through some of the posts regarding car ownership and public transit in Philly. While the information is useful, I thought my own desires/circumstances were specific enough for a separate post. This post may be a hybrid of Philly-specific advice with a bit of "life advice"

I'm a "young professional" 26-year-old teacher. I've been living and working in West Philly for two months now. I love it: Philly is the biggest city I've ever lived in and I am amazed at how much there is to do and see for such a low cost of living.

I currently own a Ford Focus (small sedan) that I've driven for the past three years. It gets me where I need to go, but it's nothing special and I have no attachment. I highly dislike driving in Philly. The roads in the part of town where I work (SW Philly) are horrible. I've gotten two flats in just two months -- my Focus had not one flat before moving to Philly. Drivers are aggressive and rude. I never drive into CC (the only other part of Philly I frequent) because it is so impractical. Because of all this, I am considering ditching my car.

I can walk and take the Trolley to work and it only adds around ten minutes to my commute. I have tried it out for a few commutes and actually very much enjoyed the experience. I was able to do a bit of work and save myself the frustration I feel driving in Philly. I am afraid riding the trolley every day may grow old, however. I also bike to work often (right now I bike about half of my days, depending on my mood, and it is about as fast as driving -- but I know this will not be much of an option in the winter).

Okay, that was a bit long, so I will compile lists of why I want to get rid of my car and why I hesitate:

Why I want to ditch the car:
-Driving in Philly is frustrating.
-For anywhere I need to go in my daily life, it is almost as fast/easy or faster/easier to use public transit or a bike.
-I have always wanted to try car-free living. This is the best opportunity I've had.
-The money (I estimate around $2K) I will get selling my car + save from not having a car will go toward making a down payment on a house.

Why I hesitate:
-I like to get out of the city on occasion. Sometimes that occasion is to visit family and friends I have in DC and NYC, where I will just take a bus/train anyway. Sometimes it is to visit home or to go out hiking/camping, where I will need a car. I estimate I will want a car to get out of Philly 4-5 times a year, which will rack up some car rental fees.
-Groceries are always easier with a car.
-I am afraid I idealize car-free living, and perhaps I will miss the independence from personal vehicle ownership.
-I am planning to get a dog next year! I will want to (but not need to) travel with my dog. I think a vehicle always makes dog ownership easier, from vet visits to traveling with the dog. (I can always take it in a rental).

So, what is your advice? I am open to all subjective opinions!
If you dislike the freedom of getting to point 'A' to point 'B' without having to deal with all the luxury SEPTA and a lot of it's riders provide, get rid of your car.
If you like getting wet in the rain, being cold in the Winter, the high winds of Autumn and the heat and humidity of Summer, by all means, get rid of your car.
If you dislike the privacy and comfort of your own vehicle, get rid of your car.
If you dislike being able to get up and go in the middle of the night, get rid of your car.
Seriously, if you can afford the car, keep it.
Stop listening to your anti-car friends who are probably envious that you DO have a car.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:08 AM

And what about the dog? He isn't going to take the dog to run around in the woods? We used to take ours often. Just touch the dog's car blanket and it, or they, would go crazy. The terriers liked to roll in things, and the spaniel always found a way to get wet and muddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia