U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 01:47 AM

43 posts, read 39,743 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband has been offered a job in downtown Philly but before we accept the offer we need to know about choices for our family to live.
We are looking for a family-friendly neighborhood with parks and great schools with not more of a 45 min commute into downtown Philly. Basicially what every family wants, lol.

Currently we are in Germany (I am German) so we enjoy a small town life with walkable (bike-friendly) neighborhoods, easy public transports and stores within easy reach as well as lots of green (forest and fields). The kids are used to play outside a lot, so I know they would not enjoy a neighborhood that's too busy with traffic.

We were looking into Chesterbrook or Devon but it seems so be sooo expensive. A (town)house should ideally not be more than 450,000 or rent 2,500/month for a 3+ bedroom. But we might be somewhat flexible. Most important are good schools and a friendly neighborhood. As someone who is more content in Pubs than Ballrooms it shouldn't be a snobish area. : )

As a reference to compare places to: We have lived in NJ (my hubby's family is from the NYC area), England, Colorado Springs and Germany. We do not care for hectic and rude NJ/NYC environment. We have only been to Philly once but that was before kids, so we only know the downtown area.

Any help would be greatly apprecriated - thank you!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 06:44 AM

7,657 posts, read 6,850,776 times
My go to recommendation.. Media, PA. Located in Delaware County, about 30 min to Center City. Philadelphia by train or car.

Media borough is very walkable, filled with shops, restuarants, bars, a Trader Joes, and all basic necessities. A full grocery store is also in town, big box shopping (Macys, Targets, etc.) are 5 minutes away. Very family friendly and the borough is certainly going through a high energy period with a lot of families and singles moving in. Schools are also top tier.

The greater Media area (19063 zip) which includes Middletown, Edgemont, Upper Providence, and portions of Aston is very nice, however, more car dependent area.

Housing stock has plenty of variety, single family homes range from $350k-$1M, and townhomes $200-$600K. Newer townhomes as you have found out tend to be very expensive, however there area definitely a few communities close to downtown Media that offer townhomes in the $400-$500k range, Ravenscliff is one that comes to mind.

Forgot to add, the Media area is filled with recreational activities, walking trails, state parks, horseback riding, swim clubs, country clubs, orchards, and so on. For a rather dense suburb close to Philadelphia, Media is top notch for outdoor activities, much of which is credited to the protected open space in the county.

The only downside is that the area can become very congested with traffic on the main roadways, but that is the same for every major Philadelphia suburb. There are some wonderful communities out toward the Main Line, but you will run into the same traffic issues, and homes cost even more. Also people in the Media area tend be a little more relaxed and down to earth then those on the Main Line, which has a reputation for being on the uppity side.

Last edited by cpomp; 09-22-2017 at 07:02 AM..

Old 09-22-2017, 07:00 AM

687 posts, read 405,024 times
I would recommend looking at Jenkintown. That's a suburb with a small town feel very close to the city line with tree lined streets and a great school system. Also, Jenkintown station is a hub for the various Septa rail lines that then fan out to the outlying burbs, so more trains stop at that station than any other (besides the Center City stations). The train commute from Jenkintown to Center City is probably about 25 mins.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:05 AM

Thank you, cpomp and NewtownBucks. I had not looked at either of these two suburbs and will definitely check them out in more detail! We are looking into newer developments. Although I am very much a history fanatic, I prefer to live in new homes, lol.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:08 AM

681 posts, read 595,719 times
Media is a good suggestion. I would also suggest looking at Ambler and Glenside. Ambler has a neat small town feel a great downtown and a train that will get you to center city in under 45 minutes. The Wisahickon school district is well regarded. You should not have trouble staying under $450k.

In Glenside I would look on the Abington side (I believe Mt. Caramel street is the cutoff). The area around the Keswick Village is very charming, has a great park and the Abington schools are considered very good. The other half of Glenside is in Cheltenham whose school district is not as highly rated. Your budget should afford you some options here as well. There is a train in downtown glenside.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:54 AM

7,657 posts, read 6,850,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boleyna73 View Post
Thank you, cpomp and NewtownBucks. I had not looked at either of these two suburbs and will definitely check them out in more detail! We are looking into newer developments. Although I am very much a history fanatic, I prefer to live in new homes, lol.
The only downside for the Media area is that $450k for a new construction single won't cut it, a townhome you will have options. But there are definitely older updated colonial in that price range.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:02 AM

518 posts, read 961,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Media is a good suggestion. I would also suggest looking at Ambler and Glenside. Ambler has a neat small town feel a great downtown and a train that will get you to center city in under 45 minutes. The Wisahickon school district is well regarded. You should not have trouble staying under $450k.

In Glenside I would look on the Abington side (I believe Mt. Caramel street is the cutoff). The area around the Keswick Village is very charming, has a great park and the Abington schools are considered very good. The other half of Glenside is in Cheltenham whose school district is not as highly rated. Your budget should afford you some options here as well. There is a train in downtown glenside.
I'd second these and also consider Chestnut Hill, though you'll be stuck with private school options or philly public schools.

Also, FYI, I recently found out there's a German Club in Warminster when I was looking for Oktoberfests in the area. Might be something of interest.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
I'd second these and also consider Chestnut Hill, though you'll be stuck with private school options or philly public schools.

Also, FYI, I recently found out there's a German Club in Warminster when I was looking for Oktoberfests in the area. Might be something of interest.
That would be fun - I will miss the Christmas Markets here for sure!

Old 09-23-2017, 06:05 PM

10,787 posts, read 7,117,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boleyna73 View Post
That would be fun - I will miss the Christmas Markets here for sure!
Philadelphia has a month long Christmas Market in Center City( downtown). It 's called The Christmas Village.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:14 AM

Oh, that's really good news about the Christmas Market downtown! Thank you for letting me know, kyb01!

Are there any more recommendation in the Glenside/Abington area?

Are there any new developments? I checked out neighborhoodscout and came up with Roslyn area for School and Safety for Abington and Oreland and Ardsley for Glenside. Are these good areas to check out?

We'll definitly look into Keswick Village!

Last edited by Boleyna73; 09-26-2017 at 03:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia