Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:43 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
A standard hoagie is approximately a foot long. Advertising it as anything out of the norm is deceitful. 6 inch hoagies are half hoagies. Subway regularly advertises foot-long sandwiches. There is nothing unusual about that length. Tourists would think that it was pathetic.

It would be nice if the old Gimbels building wasn't razed when Disney was sniffing around, but it's not like it was spectacular architecture. It is what it is. A hoagie scam isn't going to make it better.

You asked why foot-long sandwiches weren't being hawked to tourists. We told you it's the standard size. Then you started up about Center City. If you don't like old, there are plenty of cities that tore down the old & replaced it with new. That's the norm, now. US tourists come to Philadelphia to see old that is in use. If they just want to see old, they can go to Williamsburg.

If you want to impress tourists, be nice to them. That's right, be nice. If they're lost, give them correct directions. If you have time, walk them to their destination. Wish them a nice day, or, better yet, a nice stay. THAT'S what tourists talk about when they go home. Years ago, that's what city officials impressed on residents of the area. It's the truth. I've talked to several people who had heard about how nice people are in Philadelphia & when they went, young people treated them rudely, & either gave them wrong directions or none at all. They finally got help from older people. You want to come up with a way to impress tourists? Two words. . .BE NICE.
I mean the large size hoagies which is the longer rolls. I have only seen them in North Philly and Kensington not center city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 11:49 AM

752 posts, read 458,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Read in the Daily news today that there will be a movie theater inside the new Gallery and finished by winter of 2019.
Do you think the theater will sell extra large soft drinks in 44 oz. cups that one can just stick 5 or 6 straws in so people can share? That’s the option that families are tourists can and should expect.

Last edited by PHL10; 09-26-2017 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-26-2017, 12:07 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
I mean the large size hoagies which is the longer rolls. I have only seen them in North Philly and Kensington not center city.
2 foot & 3 foot lengths are not foot-longs. It's an annoyance for shop keepers & are normally only sold for parties & events. That's not going to impress a tourist. If people are nice to them in a big city, that makes a good impression. If you're rude & ignore them or give them bad directions, THAT is the impression that they take home & talk about.

If you don't have time to walk them to their destination, apologize & either point them in the correct direction & tell them to look for someone in that direction & ask, or simply say, I'm sorry, but I don't know. Being rude makes a bad impression. Being nice makes a good impression.

Tourists don't go to Philadelphia to see long sandwiches. They don't go there to see shopping facilities. They go to see Independence Hall & the Liberty Bell. Suggesting other points of interest for them to see is nice, like the 1st national bank, the Betsey Ross house, Alfreths Alley, etc.

It's not about sandwiches. It's about people being nice to tourists.

You can't dictate where people start businesses or what they choose to sell. You can be nice to tourists.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:43 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
I think all tourists arriving in Center City should be greeted with a foot long hoagie handed out by people in period costume.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:32 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I think all tourists arriving in Center City should be greeted with a foot long hoagie handed out by people in period costume.
Like a take on Hawaiian culture after you disembark the plane? I like it! What period should we go for though? I'm thinking of a 2015 fat slob in an Eagles jersey with a beard, yelling "Welcome to Filthadelphia, here's a cheesesteak and a wooder!" haha, just kidding. Maybe Benny Frank in 18th century garb walking with a French maid pulling a hoagie out of her...blouse? Hmmm...

Old 09-26-2017, 01:45 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Like a take on Hawaiian culture after you disembark the plane? I like it! What period should we go for though? I'm thinking of a 2015 fat slob in an Eagles jersey with a beard, yelling "Welcome to Filthadelphia, here's a cheesesteak and a wooder!" haha, just kidding. Maybe Benny Frank in 18th century garb walking with a French maid pulling a hoagie out of her...blouse? Hmmm...
Lots of solid suggestions!

Old 09-26-2017, 02:52 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Hilarious..... . I had to look up "wooder"? OMG A Philly accent term.

Example Word = regular way to say it = philly way to say it

water = wah-ter = wooder
about = uh-bowt = uh-beowt
down = down = deown
strawberries = straw-beh-reez = straw-burr-reez
prostitute = pros-tih-toot = pros-dee-toot
beautiful = byoo-tih-full = byoo-dee-full
out = owt = eoht
around = uh-rownd = uh-reownd
towel = tow-ell = tal
prayer = pray-er = prair
mayor = may-er = mair
how = how = heaow
bagels = bay-gullz = beggles

the OW sound is pronounced "eouw".

But I'm sure if the tourist visits the Independence Hall area? They will see someonedressed as a Ben Franklin.
Oh ..... and that ain't a French maid with Ben THAT's Betsy Ross. . Maybe Betsy has the "hoagie" and Ben a wooder ....

Why not a good ole Ben Frank walking 'round thee airport ..... and the famous Philly Cheesesteak joints having a concession at the airport too. (if they don't yet?)

I had one of the best Chicago Italian Beef's at O'Hare a couple years ago at a Billy Goat's Tavern concession and Chicago dog at one already.

Still sad the OP is being mocked still.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:06 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Do you think the theater will sell extra large soft drinks in 44 oz. cups that one can just stick 5 or 6 straws in so people can share? That’s the option that families are tourists can and should expect.
Now, now...

Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
The atmosphere in certain areas of center city needs fixin because it doesnt look all that great. Also the option of footlong hoagies should be in center city would be a nice addition for a tourist and for the people who live here who may not want to go to Kensington.

The areas of center city where the atmosphere is not all that nice is the areas below

3rd and market to 12th and market
12th and race to 12th and chestnut
You are hilarious. So the Jewish Museum, big Wells Fargo bldg(with new bible museum), old Rohm and Haas/Dow bldg with the fun summertime Independence beer garden, views of Independence Hall, Vistor's Center(being expanded) the magnificent Lit's Bldg, the brand new(still under contruction) East Market project... which are all between 3rd and 12th on Market are crap to you. Lol

Old 09-26-2017, 08:41 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You are hilarious. So the Jewish Museum, big Wells Fargo bldg(with new bible museum), old Rohm and Haas/Dow bldg with the fun summertime Independence beer garden, views of Independence Hall, Vistor's Center(being expanded) the magnificent Lit's Bldg, the brand new(still under contruction) East Market project... which are all between 3rd and 12th on Market are crap to you. Lol

I explained right from 3rd to 12th and market there are not a lot of shopping options for food or clothes. That will change in the next two years with the new wawa on 12th and the new gallery from 8th to 12th street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia