Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:01 PM

153 posts, read 138,080 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the information, OP.

For those who cannot understand the tentative opinions others may have expressed on the topic, maybe the following can provide one reason for their reservations:

Like it or not, Puerto Ricans have been associated with certain types of crime. The F.B.I. (U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Justice Informational Services Division) in their lastest data from 2016 lists Puerto Rico as having the second highest murder rate in the country (only Washington, D.C. had a higher number of murders than PR, but not by much).

So, in light of the above, if not everyone expresses immediate optimism about the prospect of "thousands upon thousands" of Puerto Ricans migrating to their cities I can't say I blame them.
The OP ended his or her post with a question to Philadelphians, "Is the Philadelphia area ready for heavily increased migration from Puerto Rico?" I think it's a valid question that deserves realistic consideration based on facts, not bleeding hearts.

Last edited by StayingAfterSunday; 10-05-2017 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 07:30 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingAfterSunday View Post

For those who cannot understand the tentative opinions others may have expressed on the topic, maybe the following can provide one reason for their reservations:

Like it or not, Puerto Ricans have been associated with certain types of crime. The F.B.I. (U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Justice Informational Services Division) in their lastest data from 2016 lists Puerto Rico as having the second highest murder rate in the country (only Washington, D.C. had a higher number of murders than PR, but not by much).

So, in light of the above, if not everyone expresses immediate optimism about the prospect of "thousands upon thousands" of Puerto Ricans migrating to their cities I can't say I blame them.
The OP ended his or her post with a question to Philadelphians, "Is the Philadelphia area ready for heavily increased migration from Puerto Rico?" I think it's a valid question that deserves realistic consideration based on facts, not bleeding hearts.
Well, that was my frustration with trying to have an open, honest conversation about the city and community organizations preparing and assisting. Not that I expect folks from PR to show up and start swinging meat cleavers or that there aren't very productive and great Rican folks living here already, but by the fact that many might be desperate. They will need help so they don't succumb to a terrible fate (for them and everyone).

It's a big reason there's so much tension in our society IMO. Everything gets boiled down to a lowest common denominator of over-sensitivity.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:38 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,755,490 times
Quote:

There is not going to be a huge infusion of PRs to the Philadelphia area. The most likely scenario will be the ones who come will have had previous connections here or relatives here.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:25 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:

As US citizens, they are qualified for assistance that non citizens do not qualify for. It's the little things like unemployment. If they worked in a pharmaceutical plant, they could show up, temporarily, until they can be fit into a mainland plant. They make 25% of our pharmaceuticals. Those people would be on unemployment, charged to Puerto Rico. They will not be desperate. The pharmaceutical companies will be desperate to fit them into schedules.

A certain number of people have to stay, to work on the rebuilding. They'll need other people to stay to sell them groceries & to work in restaurants. Not everyone will leave. Some who leave will not return. Many who leave will leave temporarily.

This thread is based on a thread on the Orlando board that was started by someone who thought that Puerto Rico was going to empty into Orlando.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:56 AM

368 posts, read 453,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There is not going to be a huge infusion of PRs to the Philadelphia area. The most likely scenario will be the ones who come will have had previous connections here or relatives here.
Between 2017 (Catergory 5 hurricane) and 2020 (next census), I think the mainland will recieve atleast 600,000 people from Puerto Rico, 200k a year atleast until the mid 2020s then it will likely taper down a bit. Close to half of those will go to just 2 metropolitan areas: Philadelphia and Orlando. We just havent been feeling it yet, becuz the airports are still inactive, very very few planes been leaving PR since the hurricane. And Ive been to PR for acouple during the aftermath, its terrible, think Katrina x10. Many will come. And those 2 metros will get the most. You'll see, watch come mid/late October when the airports are fully functioning again. And of the very few leaving, its wealthier PRs leaving by ships to Florida and the Dominican Republic.

Even before the hurricane these cities were the most popular among Ricans, especially Orlando. Philadelphia is a hub becuz its a major city close to NYC (a city also with a larger PR population), but has a much cheaper cost of living compared to NY & other cities in the Northeast. Keep in mind, that about 70% of people in PR have family/friends in the mainland, mostly cities on the eastcoast like expensive NYC & nearby cheaper Philly, and other northeast and florida cities. Most leaving will go to these cities and get some type of help from family.

Last edited by Spreadofknowledge; 10-06-2017 at 10:12 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Between 2017 (Catergory 5 hurricane) and 2020 (next census), I think the mainland will recieve atleast 600,000 people from Puerto Rico, 200k a year atleast until the mid 2020s then it will likely taper down a bit. Close to half of those will go to just 2 metropolitan areas: Philadelphia and Orlando. We just havent been feeling it yet, becuz the airports are still inactive, very very few planes been leaving PR since the hurricane. And Ive been to PR for acouple during the aftermath, its terrible, think Katrina x10. Many will come. And those 2 metros will get the most. You'll see, watch come mid/late October when the airports are fully functioning again.

Even before the hurricane these cities were the most popular among Ricans, especially Orlando. Philadelphia is a hub becuz its a major city close to NYC (a city also with a larger PR population), but has a much cheaper cost of living compared to NY & other cities in the Northeast. Keep in mind, that about 70% of people in PR have family/friends in the mainland, mostly cities on the eastcoast like expensive NYC & nearby cheaper Philly, and other northeast and florida cities. Most leaving will go to these cities and get some type of help from family.
American Airlines has been bringing people to the Charlotte area on return trips for at least a week. NC has some pharmaceutical facilities near Raleigh, but the Charlotte area has more Puerto Ricans. It will take some of the evacuees, but is off most people's radars.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
American Airlines has been bringing people to the Charlotte area on return trips for at least a week. NC has some pharmaceutical facilities near Raleigh, but the Charlotte area has more Puerto Ricans. It will take some of the evacuees, but is off most people's radars.
Yeaa there have been some flights to Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, Philly, NY, & Chicago. But those flights are far and few in between. An average airport has about 25 flights a day, planes filled to capacity. PR has had 1 flight every 2 days, and many flights are far from being filled to capacity, only like a quarter of the plane be filled, usually with people with alot of money or a serious disease. They havent been letting alot of people on for some reason, leaving alot of empty space. Look it up. Theres more people leaving by boats (wealthy going on ships to Florida & DR), and thats still very few as well.

Basically a average airport has alot more flights and much less people tryna leave. PR has had very very little flights and damn near everybody tryna leave.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:33 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,755,490 times
Quote:
Between 2017 (Catergory 5 hurricane) and 2020 (next census), I think the mainland will recieve atleast 600,000 people from Puerto Rico, 200k a year atleast until the mid 2020s then it will likely taper down a bit. Close to half of those will go to just 2 metropolitan areas: Philadelphia and Orlando. We just havent been feeling it yet, becuz the airports are still inactive, very very few planes been leaving PR since the hurricane. And Ive been to PR for acouple during the aftermath, its terrible, think Katrina x10. Many will come. And those 2 metros will get the most. You'll see, watch come mid/late October when the airports are fully functioning again. And of the very few leaving, its wealthier PRs leaving by ships to Florida and the Dominican Republic.

Maybe you missed my post about that the fact that I live in a neighborhood that was primarily PR as little as 10 years ago.
So I know a fair amount about where they are and how the outcome of Maria might affect how many may migrate to the Philadelphia area. We will see how things pan out, of course.

Where are you getting the 600K figure from?

Did say above that you have been to PR since Maria?

Old 10-06-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Yeaa there have been some flights to Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, Philly, NY, & Chicago. But those flights are far and few in between. An average airport has about 25 flights a day, planes filled to capacity. PR has had 1 flight every 2 days, and many flights are far from being filled to capacity, only like a quarter of the plane be filled, usually with people with alot of money or a serious disease. They havent been letting alot of people on for some reason, leaving alot of empty space. Look it up. Theres more people leaving by boats (wealthy going on ships to Florida & DR), and thats still very few as well.

Basically a average airport has alot more flights and much less people tryna leave. PR has had very very little flights and damn near everybody tryna leave.
You're forgetting about the elderly. The first flight back to CLT included the elderly parents of a man in Charlotte. American had been running daily flights from CLT for a week, taking donations from NC, before they felt it was safe enough to bring passengers on the return flights. By safe enough, I mean safe enough for the people to get to the plane.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Maybe you missed my post about that the fact that I live in a neighborhood that was primarily PR as little as 10 years ago.
So I know a fair amount about where they are and how the outcome of Maria might affect how many may migrate to the Philadelphia area. We will see how things pan out, of course.

Where are you getting the 600K figure from?

Did say above that you have been to PR since Maria?

I have been to Puerto Rico post-Maria. But I took a plane to the Dominican Republic, becuz there is very few planes going in & out of PR its such a hassle. Then once there I took an expensive ferry that goes from DR to Puerto Rico. Definetly had to see if my family & friends were alright. And me and all my people here in Philly who have family/friends on the island will be helping them resettle here.

As for the 600k figure, I read somewhere that an estimated 200k will be leaving Puerto Rico each year post Maria due to a deterioating economy and a catergory 5 hurricane destroying the very little they had on the island, until possibly the mid 2020s, then the migration may taper down a bit. From 2017 Catergory 5 Hurricane to 2020 US Census, thats 3 years apart, by the next census, will likely have an extra 600k Puerto Rico migrants, if those figures are accurate, on top of live births of the ones already here. Ill try to find that source again and post it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia