Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 09:36 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
I definitely would not consider either Gladwynne or Newtown Square as the Main Line, but I would include Malvern and Fraser (but not Downingtown).
Yep, I would probably include the latter two nowadays but not years ago. Back then the western boundary was Paoli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 11:09 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,063 times
Poor OP hasn't been back; we probably scared him/her off.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:46 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post

Woops. Well at least he'll be knowedlegable of SEPA and all of its offerings

Old 11-03-2017, 01:52 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Seemed like they logged off and will return after their tour.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:53 PM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Gladwyne is a healthy mix of old money and new; these days the blood is more Jewish than bluish.

While there are a smattering genuinely old money Jewish families in the Philadelphia area, most of Lower Merion’s Jewish population migrated after the war (with Gladwyne, Rosemont, Villanova, and Haverford remaining mostly off-limits until the 1970s).
I've definitely interviewed "new money" in Villanova, for instance. It was "new money" - really new money, of the guy-built-his-company-from-scratch variety - that bought the 1920s mansion where I interviewed the woman who built this house in Avalon that should be gone by now:

Requiem for a "Little Marble House" | Home & Real Estate | Philadelphia magazine

Let me know what you think of our new website if you check it out.

I think part of what may cause some people to put Gladwyne in a different class is that a lot of sports and entertainment celebs buy homes there. You'll find them in the northern 'burbs and in South Jersey too, but they're scarce as hen's teeth on the rest of the Main Line.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I've definitely interviewed "new money" in Villanova, for instance. It was "new money" - really new money, of the guy-built-his-company-from-scratch variety - that bought the 1920s mansion where I interviewed the woman who built this house in Avalon that should be gone by now:

Requiem for a "Little Marble House" | Home & Real Estate | Philadelphia magazine

Let me know what you think of our new website if you check it out.

I think part of what may cause some people to put Gladwyne in a different class is that a lot of sports and entertainment celebs buy homes there. You'll find them in the northern 'burbs and in South Jersey too, but they're scarce as hen's teeth on the rest of the Main Line.

I agree I feel there is a blend of new and old money now more so than ever before on the Mainline. I think the youngest generation of old money, does not feel quite as identified or tied to place, so they are more likely to intermix within other areas.

But with that the thing that has remained on the mainline is its whole notion of understated wealth. It is just refined, and not flashy, but just this classy timelessness about it. Which makes it really unique. And for most of the new money that moves there, they typically adopt that mindset for the most part.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:50 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
But with that the thing that has remained on the mainline is its whole notion of understated wealth. It is just refined, and not flashy, but just this classy timelessness about it. Which makes it really unique. And for most of the new money that moves there, they typically adopt that mindset for the most part.
That is an aspect of our area that I greatly appreciate. Travel to Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc. similar types are so obnoxiously flashy and feel the need to let everyone know how "important" they are.

I grew up with some friends on the Main Line who would literally have helicopters take them to their beach houses on the weekend, yet they never once hinted at any of that, until I went to their house. One of the few truely classy, educated monied regions in the country, and there is a nice degree of humility mixed in. That doesn't even speak for the architecture and natural landscape (which I also think is among the best).

Old 11-06-2017, 07:45 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That is an aspect of our area that I greatly appreciate. Travel to Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc. similar types are so obnoxiously flashy and feel the need to let everyone know how "important" they are.

I grew up with some friends on the Main Line who would literally have helicopters take them to their beach houses on the weekend, yet they never once hinted at any of that, until I went to their house. One of the few truely classy, educated monied regions in the country, and there is a nice degree of humility mixed in. That doesn't even speak for the architecture and natural landscape (which I also think is among the best).
I've gone on multiple house walking tours in the city and it can be mind-blowing what's behind many closed doors. And as you say few of these home owners are pretentious about it. You do get a hint of how some people live on curbed Philly though.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:14 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

That's what I noticed about LA, in the 90's. Especially on the West Side. I was waiting tables and working as a bouncer back then.. I noticed a clear difference between the cities when it came to families who were wealthy.. LA had lots of " New Money." While Philadelphia had lots of " Old Money." It only took 5 minutes as a waiter or bouncer at an establishment to see whom was more refined in their expectations of employees of the places they frequented. Old Money Philadelphians seemed to " Know" their status and just expected certain things without being a burden to others...They could be haughty and a bit stiff at times, but they were mostly polite and could converse with you on at least a few topics such as local sports, politics, or just the weather. Also, most times they rarely wanted to discuss business, especially when out with their families or just to unwind....

The new money West Coast people, were very passive aggresive in their attitudes. They wanted to show up early, and expect service before their appointed times, or stay later when their window of appointed time was over., and still expect even more services. Made unreasonable demands for things they hadn't ordered if it was a pre paid, catered event. Thought ( for whatever reason) that they belonged in the VIP section, and then start to run their personal, family, or employer/professional credentials.... Then cop an attitude when told..No.

They would try to come backstage, walk in the kitchen, etc;. Total pains in the butt. For two years out there I worked in a few restaurants and at least a dozen night clubs and private partirs in the Hollywood Hills and dreaded dealing with those new money types. When I started to work in film and had to use their homes for shooting., same thing. We did shoots all over LA County and plenty of it on Philly's Mainline.... There's a noticeable differnce.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I've gone on multiple house walking tours in the city and it can be mind-blowing what's behind many closed doors. And as you say few of these home owners are pretentious about it. You do get a hint of how some people live on curbed Philly though.
Yea I am by no means a 1%er. And I have a friend who is a true Pennsylvania blueblood, and the guy is the most humble person ever.He is the person who takes private jets to Nantucket every weekend in the summer, and can easily buy anything he wants. But he doesnt care about being flashy. He drives a 5 year old Land Rover, is always complimenting anything I have (which is not really that impressive). He just is a nice guy.

And all his friends, who are in that same Old Money category, all treat everyone with respect. By many means its just distasteful to even talk about money or flash that you have it. It just about having manners, and being respectful. A real class act. And another reason why I love Southeast Pennsylvania. The culture is just not common.

I think this is why many who are not from the region, are not aware of the wealth of Southeast PA. Most mansions are hidden and are on large estates/pieces of land so out of view, and most people who have money, feel no need to be flashy.

There are very few mega mansions on Golf Course communities with Bentley's and Lambos in the driveway. Because thats just gawdy. The humility makes SEPA pretty awesome and classy. But then again? Isn't that the Quaker way? lol

Last edited by rowhomecity; 11-07-2017 at 04:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia