Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 07:07 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
That would be smart. There are definitely varied definitions. But it most certainly includes everything from Penn Valley, to Bala to Gladwyne all the way out to Malvern. Newtown Square could be mentioned but if it is not formally included that is fine, by many though it is considered a mainline community though. Aronimink is considered one of the top private golf courses in the nation, and most certainly is coterminous with the mainline.
It sounds to me like some people aren't sure where the term "Main Line" came from.

So one should explain what it was traditionally wrt the old PRR commuter line , that ran somewhat adjacent to Lancaster Ave/ Rt 30, and what it might be now to some people. For me none of those places are the Main Line. And just because Gladwyne has always been affluent does not make it part of it. Newtown Sq ? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 07:52 PM

14,169 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It sounds to me like some people aren't sure where the term "Main Line" came from.

So one should explain what it was traditionally wrt the old PRR commuter line , that ran somewhat adjacent to Lancaster Ave/ Rt 30, and what it might be now to some people. For me none of those places are the Main Line. And just because Gladwyne has always been affluent does not make it part of it. Newtown Sq ? No.
Its origin is in a system of canals and railroads, both ordinary and inclined-plane, that the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania built starting in the 1830s to enable Philadelphia to remain competitive with New York after New York State built the Erie Canal.

The network collectively was called the State System of Public Works, and the railroad/canal route from Philadelphia west to Lancaster, Harrisburg and (ultimately, had it been built as envisioned) Pittsburgh was called the Main Line of Public Works.

The Pennsylvania Railroad was established in 1846 to take over the easternmost railroad in the chain - I think it was called the Philadelphia and Columbia - and extend it further westward. By that time, railroads had clearly demonstrated their superiority to canals for movement of goods, so the Pennsy went about extending the Philadelphia and Columbia route westward. But the "Main Line" moniker stuck, and why shouldn't it have? After all, this road became the PRR's first main line.

Gladwyne is indeed not located along the PRR route, but I think most people include it in the geographical "Main Line" - it's definitely in the cultural one. Malvern is on the railroad, but not everyone tosses it in - it's not really in the cultural one. Downingtown ditto, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone call it part of the Main Line.

Media isn't even in the right direction: it's southwest of Center City, not west of it as the Main Line is. I too like its vibe, and that vibe's anything but Main Line-ish.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:12 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Its origin is in a system of canals and railroads, both ordinary and inclined-plane, that the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania built starting in the 1830s to enable Philadelphia to remain competitive with New York after New York State built the Erie Canal.

The network collectively was called the State System of Public Works, and the railroad/canal route from Philadelphia west to Lancaster, Harrisburg and (ultimately, had it been built as envisioned) Pittsburgh was called the Main Line of Public Works.

The Pennsylvania Railroad was established in 1846 to take over the easternmost railroad in the chain - I think it was called the Philadelphia and Columbia - and extend it further westward. By that time, railroads had clearly demonstrated their superiority to canals for movement of goods, so the Pennsy went about extending the Philadelphia and Columbia route westward. But the "Main Line" moniker stuck, and why shouldn't it have? After all, this road became the PRR's first main line.

Gladwyne is indeed not located along the PRR route, but I think most people include it in the geographical "Main Line" - it's definitely in the cultural one. Malvern is on the railroad, but not everyone tosses it in - it's not really in the cultural one. Downingtown ditto, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone call it part of the Main Line.

Media isn't even in the right direction: it's southwest of Center City, not west of it as the Main Line is. I too like its vibe, and that vibe's anything but Main Line-ish.
Gladwyne, to me has always seemed more "new money" wealthy than traditional Mainline. Still, it is one of the richest suburbs the state.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:44 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Yes SEPTA and its historic significance has a huge influence to the built environment of SE PA. And while it is not true that there is NO market for homes at $2 Million in S. NJ. The fact is the market is very small. If you compare listings, S. Jersey might have 10 - 15 homes at this price point on the market. Where SE PA has about 100 or more homes at this price point on the market. If you go to $3 M the differences are even more stark. Which is a major difference if you are a buyer in that market in terms of looking at types of housing. When you actually compare transactions of homes over $2Million, S. NJ has a very very small market. Which is not the case for SE PA, and that was my point.

This is why a study came out highlighting all of Philadelphia and its metro 'million' dollar neighborhoods, and not one was in S. NJ. There are luxury properties (Over $1.5M) in S. NJ, but overall it is quite a small market, and that was my comparison. That is all.

S. NJ is what it is. Its not bad. But it is worth pointing out the differences for those who are new to the region, because they are very real and factual. I encourage those interested in those communities to post in the NJ forum. They will learn more than posting in this forum. Again this is the Pennsylvania forum, so the differences are fair to notate.

Ultimately those moving here can explore for themselves, but to deny the differences as the poster from Cherry Hill has sited on this forum, is just silly and not true. Especially for OP's looking for a luxury market. (properties over $1.5M)
You've posted many things that are not true. The shopping centers that you look down on in Cherry Hill are walkable to several hundred homes in each case. Rt 70 is 4 lanes, not 6 lanes, and there's an area with custom homes that had a million dollar + home in the 60s. I didn't suggest Cherry Hill. It doesn't fit the description that the OP gave. However you have posted false things, perhaps to make yourself feel good. I suggested one, town, Haddonfield, which is not isolated, as you have posted. It blends into Haddon Heights & the Westmont section of Haddon Twp. Then there's Tavistock, if you want expensive & exclusive, but good luck finding a home on the market.

Those are not the only things that you've posted that are false, but I have other things to do besides correct you. I'm also very much aware of the other side of the river. Besides going to places on both sides l know the history of both sides. I had ancestors on both sides during the colonial era.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:23 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Gladwyne, to me has always seemed more "new money" wealthy than traditional Mainline. Still, it is one of the richest suburbs the state.
Gladwyne is as old money as they come. 19035 zip is one of the wealthiest in the nation, more wealthy than Beverly Hills. There's a lot of blue bloods in Gladwyne. A place like Malvern is definitely more new money. The Main Line though is definitely not as traditionally old money as it once was overall. But it's still consider the bastion for old money in the nation. I believe Mainline, Gold Coast and then up in Boston and CT for the most part.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:42 AM

9,331 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Gladwyne is as old money as they come. 19035 zip is one of the wealthiest in the nation, more wealthy than Beverly Hills. There's a lot of blue bloods in Gladwyne. A place like Malvern is definitely more new money. The Main Line though is definitely not as traditionally old money as it once was overall. But it's still consider the bastion for old money in the nation. I believe Mainline, Gold Coast and then up in Boston and CT for the most part.
Gladwyne is a healthy mix of old money and new; these days the blood is more Jewish than bluish.

While there are a smattering genuinely old money Jewish families in the Philadelphia area, most of Lower Merion’s Jewish population migrated after the war (with Gladwyne, Rosemont, Villanova, and Haverford remaining mostly off-limits until the 1970s).

Old 11-03-2017, 06:30 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Arguing about whether Gladwyne is part of the Main Line is kind of silly, I suppose, but for me it's not part of it.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:13 AM

1,387 posts, read 912,529 times
Quote:
Arguing about whether Gladwyne is part of the Main Line is kind of silly, I suppose, but for me it's not part of it.
I definitely would not consider either Gladwynne or Newtown Square as the Main Line, but I would include Malvern and Fraser (but not Downingtown).

Old 11-03-2017, 08:12 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
I definitely would not consider either Gladwynne or Newtown Square as the Main Line, but I would include Malvern and Fraser (but not Downingtown).
Realtors keep trying to convince clients/potential buyers of the ever expanding "Main Line". It just doesn't exist as they want. For me it stops at Paoli, MAYBE Malvern. Maybe. Personally, I'd rather NOT be on the Main Line, although I do see the attitudes spreading to my area of Chester County with Property Taxes to match.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:34 AM

9,331 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Gladwyne isn’t a railroad stop, but it’s absolutely socioculturally connected to the Main Line. All of Narberth and Lower Merion and Radnor, most of Tredyffrin/Easttown, and a sizable minority of Haverford. The Malvern Area is a transition zone to me. West/Conshohocken, Gulph Mills, Havertown, and Newtown Square form most of the first ring beyond the Main Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia