Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 09:31 PM

223 posts, read 829,252 times

Advertisements

[quote=KansastoSouthphilly;10249842]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugger View Post
[KansastoSouthphilly]I'm not sure why you couldn't fit all of your points into one post instead of making four different posts back to back to back to back. What is amazing to me is that in four posts the only points you make are {quote}

oh no!

You made back to back to back posts and didn't make it clear who or what you are responding to. You clearly understood (eventually) that this made communicating your points difficult to understand because you starting quoting people. Since no points were made between posts it isn't clear to me why you didn't just make all your points at once.

You aren't even making an argument here. You are just asserting what you say is true. I could say "nobody in their right mind would argue with what Philadelphia has to offer and try to compare it to New York" and the argument would be just as valid as yours because neither statement has warrants to back up its assertion. In my previous posts I made warrants. I argued that the comparison depends on what you are talking about. If you have never been outside of the east coast (which i suspect you haven't spent much time outside of your bubble) then maybe NYC and Philly seem different. If you spend significant amounts of time in the south, west coast, midwest then Philly and NYC seem very similar.

Yes they do...Again you present no warrants and just asserting that what you are saying is true. Im also not sure why this matters. Who cares about how an accent is recongized? Name recognition doesn't mean a city is better than another.

What is your point? Why does name recognition mean anything? From what I can tell your only point seems to be that name recognition=quality of life. Why are so concerned with what other people/countries think?

Again why are you so concerned with what other people think?

There are also tourists all over Philadelphia. You are apparently not very observant. They also come from all over the world.

This is all subjective. Again, you are from New York you prefer New York food. Not everyone prefers what you prefer. It is not better just because you prefer it. Philly has MANY great restaurants. New York has more, of course, but I don't think anyone disputes that there are more things in New York than in Philadelphia.

Not sure why your previously high crime rate is a point of pride. Both cities have issues. It doesn't effect me much as a resident of PHiladelphia since it is mostly concentrated in certain areas.

The highrise vs. rowhome is certainly a difference between Philly and NYC. That is obvious. If the only two cities in the world are New York and Philadelphia you win hands down. However that is not the case.

AGAIN why are you so concerned with what other people think. Provide an example of what I twisted? You are going back to your old standby argument tactic of just asserting what you think is true. Again, the act of saying something is a certain way does not make it so. There needs to be a reason.

Frist of all I posted my thoughts before you did, and your the one that responded to me. So your the one that is so concerned with what other people think because you would not of responded in the 1st place.

You said "Not sure why your previsously high crime rate is a point of pride" I said "crime is a bad thing" thats you twisting what I said to fit what you want to hear or say. Of course crime is bad and I am not proud of it, but anyone who grows up in any area which is a rough part of town (Ghetto) and survives is going to have pride. Yeah, I am proud my family and I got out and now are living good!!! I am not going to let some rich person who had it easy their whole life like dady's little princess make me feel ashamed for how or where I grew up!!!!!

The crime stats can be proven you can look them up, Their is alot more tourists in New York than Philly its a fact just on pure numbers alone New York has more tourists vist it than Philly does. You can look up records from the New York City services that provide services for tourists or specific companies that do ( I don't know who would spend time doing this?) and contact the same departments or companies in Philly. This should not have to be proven its obvious to any American. Chicago looks like New York and its more similar than Philly is to New York because Chicago has a similar looking structure to its city, similar looking highrises, and agian philly does not look like New York( maybe in a few area, but very few). This can be proven by comparing pictures! I am not saying things the way I want so it is true. These are my reasons behind the facts that I'm Stating all that can be proven. Facts are what matter when your arguing real ones like I am giving you!!!

Name recogniton means alot in everyday life! Why would it not? New York is known more around the world. You know philly is not as recongized so you want to disregard this and act like it does not mean anything, but it does. For example: when you grew up in your neighborhood did the other kids recongize your name and not pick on you or did you let them push you around like a punk? Would you vote for a mayor or president you didn't no or was not popular or didn't know what he stood for? Do you want to be a nobody in life with no name to stand by? Names and other symbols are what men idolize like in the Marines being in the Infantry is special its a great title or name. Seargent or General Yeah, I from New York, Chicago or were ever for a man names are a form of respect too. Don't be mad that New York has a bigger name than philly!

I just feel kansasto that if me and you grew up in the same neighborhood we wouldn't get along. We are just opposties of each other probably grew up in different ways to!

I just know you have never been to New York City beacause these are simple and obvious observations anyone who has been to both cities should realize. Its as plain as day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:04 PM

Default Not even worth it starks!!!

I am not going to respond to your Darth Vader pic

And i am asking you nicley please stop saying you were raised in Yonkers, NY.

I know your really from philly come on man!!!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:17 PM

744 posts, read 775,226 times
[quote=lugger;10250861]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post

Frist of all I posted my thoughts before you did, and your the one that responded to me. So your the one that is so concerned with what other people think because you would not of responded in the 1st place.
mod cut, personal attack You are comparing apples and oranges. This is obvious as long as (to use your words) "you understand English and can add and subtract you should understand."

Quote:
You said "Not sure why your previsously high crime rate is a point of pride" I said "crime is a bad thing" thats you twisting what I said to fit what you want to hear or say.
No it is you failing to articulate a clear point. You talk about crime out of nowhere. In a series of posts stating that you love New York more than Philly then you talk about how much worse the crime problem has been in New York. It certainly wouldn't make sense to be proud of your high crime rate, but so little of what you have posted has made sense so I didn't put it past you.
Quote:
Of course crime is bad and I am not proud of it, but anyone who grows up in any area which is a rough part of town (Ghetto) and survives is going to have pride. Yeah, I am proud my family and I got out and now are living good!!! I am not going to let some rich person who had it easy their whole life like dady's little princess make me feel ashamed for how or where I grew up!!!!!
This is the first thing you have posted that makes sense. If you grew up in a rough area and got out you should be proud. We are on the same page here.

Quote:
The crime stats can be proven you can look them up, Their is alot more tourists in New York than Philly its a fact just on pure numbers alone New York has more tourists vist it than Philly does. You can look up records from the New York City services that provide services for tourists or specific companies that do ( I don't know who would spend time doing this?) and contact the same departments or companies in Philly.
Or you could spend 30 seconds on google to get this information. I haven't disputed the existence of these statistics I have disputed their relevance. I have also disputed your overly broad generalizations.

Quote:
This should not have to be proven its obvious to any American. Chicago looks like New York and its more similar than Philly is to New York because Chicago has a similar looking structure to its city, similar looking highrises, and agian philly does not look like New York( maybe in a few area, but very few). This can be proven by comparing pictures! I am not saying things the way I want so it is true. These are my reasons behind the facts that I'm Stating all that can be proven. Facts are what matter when your arguing real ones like I am giving you!!!
I actually agree that Chicago resembles NYC more than Philly does. At least downtown chicago does. Not so much when you get away from downtown. I do, however, understand why people compare Philly and NYC. You simply state that no on in their right mind would compare the two. There are obvious similarities, especially if you are used to a different type of city. If you you grew up in Oklahoma City, PHiladelphia is going to seem very similar to New York (but smaller). Both cities are very dense, have rowhomes, have subways (for many people the sight of a subway station leading into the ground makes quite the impression) etc. I am (obviously) not saying the two cities have differences, but they have similarities as well.

Quote:
Name recogniton means alot in everyday life! Why would it not? New York is known more around the world. You know philly is not as recongized so you want to disregard this and act like it does not mean anything, but it does. For example: when you grew up in your neighborhood did the other kids recongize your name and not pick on you or did you let them push you around like a punk? Would you vote for a mayor or president you didn't no or was not popular or didn't know what he stood for? Do you want to be a nobody in life with no name to stand by? Names and other symbols are what men idolize like in the Marines being in the Infantry is special its a great title or name. Seargent or General Yeah, I from New York, Chicago or were ever for a man names are a form of respect too. Don't be mad that New York has a bigger name than philly!
Once again you sound like a twelve year old. Not even a smart twelve year old. Of course name recognition means something; the consequences of name recongition have both positive and negative consequences. It is not, however, the end all be all that determines the worth of a city. Your metaphors are stupid and not even remotely analgous.
Quote:
I just feel kansasto that if me and you grew up in the same neighborhood we wouldn't get along. We are just opposties of each other probably grew up in different ways to!
Alright.

Quote:
I just know you have never been to New York City beacause these are simple and obvious observations anyone who has been to both cities should realize. Its as plain as day.
I don't know what to say. I HAVE been to New York many times. Not all of your observations are incorrect but your synthesis of those observations is.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-13-2009 at 03:15 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 06:24 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Quote:

Really! so New York has more business, culture, food, etc., and more people know and like it better than philly. New York is more well known threw out the world.

Your own words " and in many ways better"

But New York is not better than Philly

That dosen't make sense

So what does make philly better than New York or New York better than philly!

If its a personal opinion thing more people like New York better cause its more well known just like your saying.

Majority always wins
I never said "New York is not better than Philly." Clearly you are not reading posts. You can't spell, and you have limited knowledge of phonetics. Please grind your axe a little slower.

I'm not surprised that you admitted you were raised in Jersey. No one raised in NYC (i.e. a "real" New Yorker) would actually try so hard to prove anything to anybody about their city's superiority.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Starks where ya been the Yonkers converted to Philly guy maybe you will convert to Miami or where ever you live next!!!
i'm not a convert. i actually don't like football or baseball. just making a point from previous observations of these nutty sporting events...i do
love hoops though..NJ Nets ...i gave up on the Knicks after Starks and Charles Oakley left.

Quote:
And i am asking you nicley please stop saying you were raised in Yonkers, NY.

I know your really from philly come on man!!!
haha. at least his trolling is somewhat amusing. after reading several of lugger's posts, my head's about to explode.

Last edited by john_starks; 08-13-2009 at 08:06 AM..

Old 08-13-2009, 07:54 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,221 times
Quote:

Relax what? were on a message board.

My family is from Jackson Heights, Queens N.Y.C. I was born in Elmhurst and lived their and I was rasied in Jersey. I worked as a Doc/Warehouse worker that shipped airline pallets or cargo to the airport in Queens. I worked off Guy Brewer Ave. in the heart of the industrial area. Right on the border of Queens and Long Island. Worked with alot of other blue collar people form Long Island and Queens that grew up hanging around in that area and in those streets.
Thanks for posting your "stats", you're obviously the indisputable expert.

I said "relax" because you seemed quite upset that I brought another locale into the picture and didn't seem to understand why.

Quote:
I just curious to know where your from?
Not that it matters, I grew up near Olney.

Quote:
this is between me and you to men from the East Coast.
Actually, it's not. It's between Dorian, the original poster, and whoever else wants to comment on this board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I wanted to see if my assumptions are correct about comparing Philly to NYC from what I heard from others...
If you want a fight, be a good boy and take it outside.

By the way, I'm not sure how old you are, but have you ever heard the phrase "thou doth protest too much"? You may not be aware of it, but you are.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:54 PM

Lugger is back anybody still on this board

Old 08-26-2009, 02:56 PM

Lex Lugger's Last Stand

I really don't feel like I need to waist my time with most of you from philly beacasue 80% of the people on this message board are from the area and no one from New York would compare New York to Philly, but Philly people always want to be compared to New York because its the cream of the Crop. Plus philly has always been in New York's shadow and always will!!!!

New York inferiority Complex

This is the main reason for my arguement and always was. Every city has it and always wants to be compared to or better than New York if you have been to other major cities or even some smaller ones its like a fad. Philly has the worst case of this in the entire U.S. probably because its so close to N.Y.C.

You philly people proved my case I said things that are negative about New York City that bothers me and I wish would change, but since you crazy philly people with your complex problem even argued that philly' has more negative things than New York and you guys would want these things that no one would want for their city. Only because you can be like or better than New York.
Here is some examples:

1) I said New Yorkers are more rude, aggresive , and hostile in their attitude. I got philly people saying no philly is more rude. Why would you want this for philly? Altough its not true New Yorks been named the most aggresive city in attitude and driving in the U.S. I know that the city of brotherly love got its named from some Greek words from Mr. Penn, but no one realtes to that. Most people feel philly people are nicer thats how they got the name.

2) I said New York's streets are more dirty than philly. Center City is so much cleaner than Manhattan if you been to both you should know. Harlem is in Manhattan alot better looking then the past, but still has some horrible dirty areas. I got philly people saying no philly is more dirty. Why would you want philly to be more dirty than New York? Again it makes no sense and goes back to the Inferiority complex. No city would want their city to be dirty.

3) I said New York has a bigger name around the world than philly. Again i got people from philly saying I went to other countries and people knew philly. Ok i am sure people heard of philly, but their is nothing to prove here everybody knows New York is more recongized around the world than philly. Some of you agree with me, but the ones that don't you must be from Mars.

Alot of these things are negative things about New York I wish the city didn't have, but why would philly people make it sound like they want their city to be more dirty and rude. Nobody wants this for their city, but philly so stuck in the New York inferiority complex even wants the negative aspects of New York City so they can be like or better than New York. It dose not make sense!!!!!!

I got more respect from people from Boston who try so hard to separte themselves from New York.
I met a lady from Boston about 3 years ago in Elizabeth, New Jersey at a bar. And we talked about what was a better city New York of Philly.

She said Boston is so much cleaner, the people are rude in New York City nicer is Boston ( this is not true people in Boston are rude, maybe only second to New York or on the same level but close in attitude. Not all people, but they hate outsiders in Boston). Less traffic easier to drive around, and less conjested better because its smaller. She makes sense in her arguement trying to separte the 2 cities of Boston and New York. So you does philly try so hard to be like New York or metioned in the same sentence. A few philly people say philly has its own identiy and dose not want to be like New York. However, most of you can't stop with comparing Philly to New York. Even neagtive things.

The only way to explain this in the New York Inferiority Complex

BPP1999- Frist of all I am at work when i get bored i go on my PC so i am sorry I don't have time to spell check, and my spelling bothers you so much. you must have a inferiotiy complex. You made false statements about Long Island and people from the area ( if am correct) I worked on the border of Queens and Long Island , and I exposed your lies. If i am correct in thinking you were the one that made those crazy statements. Also you have never been to North Jersey or New York. I have said from the start born in Queens, NY now live in Jersey so how am i lying about were i am from or live? If you been to North Jersey you would know that thousands of people maybe the whole area was born and lived in New York and now moved to Jersey its nothing knew in this area so you make no sense in saying I am not a real New Yorker how would you no? You have not been hear ever. You have made the most false statements out of everybody and I exposed you!!!!

Dan J- No way philly is cleaner than New York. If you been up to the NYC you should know that again Harlem is in Manhattan its not like it was in the past but still dirty in alot of areas. Why do you want philly to be more dirty anyway? It dose not makes sense but New York is more dirty than Philly something I am not proud of!!!

ajaxrasputin- I have been to North Philly and other parts its bad can't lie. However you wouldn't last in New York the weaks ones never do. New York is alot better than before it still has a homicide every 0.7 miles in the city limits and this is considered the best decade in New Yorks History with crime, 524 murder in 2008 and that good for New York the only city that could over 500 murders and be considered safe. Just take a stroll down Jamaica ave. in Queens, Tremont ave. in the Bronx hope you come back, and you will see who the tough guy is.

Kansastosouthphilly- Finally we just don't get along. I still don't understand you I don't know if anybody does. You want to look like the educated and smart one. I give you metaphors and examples than you want to look like a tuff guy and start calling me stupid and saying my metaphors are stupid. What happened to the smart kansasto? Which one is it smart or tuff? You have got the worst case of New York Inferiority Complex out of everybody. Your just plain strange or weird!!!

New York Times Square

Center City Philly

South Bronx

South Philly

I see that the the 2 cities look differnet do you Kansasto? You claim to have been to both cities, but don't see a difference. The funny thing is my mom's family is from a 3rd World country and they saw the difference but you an American if I am correct can't see the difference in New York compared to Philly. Most of philly is row homes and a few apartments, but New York has alot more highrise apartments than philly or any other city in the U.S. Chicago is kind of similar but thats really it. Thats why New York has its own look because of all the highrises. Philly looks just like Balitmore very simliar to Boston or Atlanta. Some areas are similar to New York but most of the areas of both cities look different. Maybe somebody from Utah or Alabama mite think New York is like philly but nobody from the Eastcoast.

Starks is orignally from Yonkers, NY and now lives in or around Philly he said the smartest thing out of anybody from philly. " Philly reminds me of a bourough of New York " I can maybe agree to that. However they still don't look that similar. How do you compare New York City with 8 million people to Philly with only 1.5 million people, Philly is the size of Brooklyn and Queens is bigger than Philly. New York City consits of Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island, and The Bronx. All separte cities. New York City is 5 Big Cities put into one Philly is just Philly. Plus their is Yonkers,New Rochelle,Mount Vernon alll outside of the Bronx area which are similar to New York City, and Yonkers is almost connected to Up Town when you leave Harlem and the Bronx. Their are even smaller cities connected to the whole of New York City. North Jersey is alomst an extension of New York City with Jersey City, Newark, Irvignton,Hoboken,Bayonne,etc. Philly has Camden which is very small outside of it. The Meteroplotain Area of New York City even looks different than the Philly area outside of philly besides Camden and maybe a few areas its mostly rural small country like towns.

If you don't agree with me thats fine, but those of you that want to insult me, you know where you can go! Nobody from New York would compare NY to Philly thats why not to many people from NY are on this message board, but 80% of you on here are from philly because of your New York Inferioirty Complex, I hope Philly finds a cure. Compare New York and Chicago thats a good comparison, but compare philly with boston or atlanta not the Whole of NEW YORK CITY!!! I HOPE PHILLY FIND ITS OWN IDENITY GET OVER YOU INFERIOIRTY COMPLEX OF NEW YORK, SOME OF YOU SAY PHILLY DOSEN'T CARE ABOUT NEW YORK BUT WHY DO SO MANY OF YOU COMPARE PHILLY TO NEW YORK?
I AM DONE!!!!! ENJOY THIS CRAZY COMPARISON!!!!!!!

P.S.
If you have time come try some New York Pizza its the best, and you will love New York City style chessesteaks: provolone and mayo.

But nothing beats New York Pizza!!!!GREATEST IN THE WORLD!!!!

I LOVE NEW YORK!!!!!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-26-2009 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: copyright

Old 08-26-2009, 03:02 PM

596 posts, read 1,706,716 times
This tired thread won't end and no one can bother to contribute to a new one.

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-27-2009 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: no references to competing site, please

Old 08-26-2009, 08:26 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
How about we all be good boys and girls... lest this thread be locked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia