Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 07:04 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,702,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Thanks again, everybody! This may come as a shocker, but I think I am going to take the room at the place on Bainbridge (Bella Vista). Safe[r], within walking distance of my internship site and all that Central City has to offer, and for a very decent price considering what a desirable location this is. This is until I get a job and a place of my own. Surprisingly, I have seen plenty of studios and one-bedrooms in Center City that are below 1k a month, which I find incredible. So yeah, I am certainly looking forward to the future. Thanks so much for all your advice!
Yeah, I find it indeed incredible that you would find anything decent in CC for less than 1k!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
That's a solid choice, but keep your head in the game, there's low income housing about three blocks west of there accompanied by what that draws.
I'm sure you'll be fine, but it's not as 'pristine' as some here would have you believe.
He's coming from Chicago. He'll be more than fine here. And, no one said 9th and Bainbridge was pristine. We told him to look out for potential crappola coming off of South St.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:14 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,449,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The guy's moving here from Chicago. He's probably not going to find a neighborhood here that's more dangerous than that city's worst neighborhoods.

Crime in Hawthorne plummeted after the Martin Luther King Plaza towers were detonated and replaced by the current rowhouse development, which is mixed-income, by the way. (I lived much closer to them when the towers were imploded in 1995. I was living on Waverly Street at Camac at that time.)

You wouldn't have new homes going up around this development and fetching the prices they fetch were it as bad as it used to be, or as your statement makes it out to be.
There's still low-income about, I'm just giving him a heads up, it's not all peaches and cream.

And, yes, prices are high in the area, we all know that, it doesn't change facts. I'd bet the vast majority of those buying aren't native Philadelphians and didn't have a clue about their neighbors before they bought.

Don't kid yourself about Chicago having more dangerous neighborhoods, we still have our 'badlands,' which are the worse the country has to offer.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
He's coming from Chicago. He'll be more than fine here. And, no one said 9th and Bainbridge was pristine. We told him to look out for potential crappola coming off of South St.
Yeah, one poster did.

RE: South Street - That's two things he now has to be concerned about.

RE: Coming from Chicago - Oh, he's from a big city, he's invincible.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:48 AM

14,019 posts, read 8,889,691 times
Quote:
There's still low-income about, I'm just giving him a heads up, it's not all peaches and cream.

And, yes, prices are high in the area, we all know that, it doesn't change facts. I'd bet the vast majority of those buying aren't native Philadelphians and didn't have a clue about their neighbors before they bought.

Don't kid yourself about Chicago having more dangerous neighborhoods, we still have our 'badlands,' which are the worse the country has to offer.
Not from the stats I've seen recently concerning murder and violent crime.

I used to live down that way, remember, though above South Street, and I've attended zoning meetings of the Hawthorne Empowerment Coalition, the neighborhood's RCO, most recently to cover that huge apartment tower Bart Blatstein wants to build at the neighborhood's southwest corner. I can guarantee you'd lose your bet.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Since you follow crime so much just spend some time following the latest number of shootings and homicides in
Chicago. Or even the stats over the last year.

I'm betting that 'badlands' in Baltimore or Newark, NJ are worse than here.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Not from the stats I've seen recently concerning murder and violent crime.

I used to live down that way, remember, though above South Street, and I've attended zoning meetings of the Hawthorne Empowerment Coalition, the neighborhood's RCO, most recently to cover that huge apartment tower Bart Blatstein wants to build at the neighborhood's southwest corner. I can guarantee you'd lose your bet.
So, native Philadelphians are lining up to spend big bucks near a development with low-income housing? I don't think so.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Since you follow crime so much just spend some time following the latest number of shootings and homicides in
Chicago. Or even the stats over the last year.

I'm betting that 'badlands' in Baltimore or Newark, NJ are worse than here.
Don't kid yourself.

BTW, y'all need to get off the "At least we're not Chicago!" Like it makes our mess OK.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah, one poster did.

RE: South Street - That's two things he now has to be concerned about.

RE: Coming from Chicago - Oh, he's from a big city, he's invincible.
No, I told him too.

Anyhow he'll find out soon enough.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Don't kid yourself.

BTW, y'all need to get off the "At least we're not Chicago!" Like it makes our mess OK.
Obviously it does not make our mess okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia