Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 12:32 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There was a fantastic exhibit at the NY Historical Society a few years ago about how the explosion of cotton production fueled some initial things wrt the industrial revolution in England. NY banks (and Phila. banks probably ) were involved with the financing. The cotton was exported to England and then made goods were imported back to the United States. Eventually a lot of that production moved to Phila. and New England.
Yes, the cotton production was primarily in Philadelphia while the woolen mills were primarily in New England. Settlement of the "back country" of Virginia & North & South Carolina came about largely from an old Indian trading path that got the name The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road. There are migration maps online. If you look at them & compare them to modern maps it can be almost startling. The southern ties of Philadelphia go back to colonial time. It was people & manufacturing. The NY ties were mostly banking. The idea that Philadelphia is subservient or an outgrowth of NYC is ludicrous at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 05:16 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Hey MarketStEL. We still need to meet up and talk neighborhoods!

I agree it was better when it was PhillyBlog and was run by more competent people. I am aware of who Gabriella is and had many horn lockings with her on both PhillySpeaks and its former PhillyBlog. I am not sure when she converted into a " fed-up center-rightist" but my dealings with her were with her left wing rants.

I am far from a whinny snowflake. I just don't tow the line on the popular narratives of the day that are all over the news.
I think the whiny snowflakes are the people who label others as "racist, hater, homophobe, <fill in the blank>" because they
can't stand to hear their point of view challenged. It's a insecurity issue because people like that want to feel superior and smart
and to challenge that just flusters them.

I don't remember what neighborhood you live in but I have seen rough especially where my wife teaches.
We absolutely need to meet up and talk neighborhoods!

And we should do it over your way because it would give me a good excuse to visit the Grey Lodge again. I haven't been there in a dog's age.

(However, I have been to a couple of other bars over in the Northeast whose owners I know: the Sawtown Tavern in Tacony, whose owner, Troy Everwine, I met when I was on the staff of the Penn Current and he was hired as the executive assistant to the VP for University Communications, and Mary McGrath's/Blaze's 2nd Story in Frankford - Blaze Waters co-owns both and runs the upstairs as a gay bar (his second effort in the Northeast). Everyone in this town knows everyone else: Blaze and Troy are also friends, as are Troy and Grey Lodge owner Scoats. Scoats, btw, was also one of the regulars on Phillyblog who migrated over to PhillySpeaks for a while then drifted away.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
the original owner didn't want to maintain it anymore was the story I got. Philadelphia Speaks was already launched

during the last days of Philllyblog. Also from what I remember people were being booted for the same reasons that Phily Speaks is now a ghost town,
Specifically, the PR pro was totally unconcerned about protecting the board from spam attacks. The board eventually collapsed under their weight.

I live in East Germantown, about a half mile up the road from La Salle University, who I have to thank for the very nice but haphazardly run supermarket three blocks' walk from my front door. I've become quite taken with Germantown, warts and all, and I think its demographics hold a key to our urban future in a way - if we can fix a few things on the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
'Snowflake?' Look in the mirror, MSE. You may label it 'whining,' but it doesn't make what we say any less true.
How you turned this into a racial issue, I don't know, but I'm seeing you're not better than that.
I'm not one of those types who view everything through a racial prism, but I do recognize the role it plays in our society; I believe you have probably heard me say that race-based slavery is "the apple in the American Garden of Eden."

You evidently picked up my implicit reference, since nowhere in my post did I say anything explicitly, so I don't think the charge that I "turned this into a racial issue" sticks; it's there, just under the surface, all the time, and it is - as FKD19124 accurately stated - what gets folks on the left so exercised. It's one thing to note that blacks commit a disproportionately high number of crimes, quite another to regard us all as criminals.

However:

Quote:
People getting banned from boards breaks my personal "free speech" rules. I never block people. I want to hear what people have to say even if it's uncomfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
The Left loves to silence people with different views.
I'm with Karen here. How could I not be? I'm a journalist. Freedom of speech is essential to my profession.

There's a guy who posts regularly to my Facebook Timeline who drives me up a wall at times. He's African-American, in his 60s, a former state trooper turned truck driver, and politically conservative. He has a very annoying style of argument - he will shift the goalposts midstream, introduce irrelevant tangents, and he always wants to have the last word. A few people who I value don't participate in the discussions on my FB space because of him, and I've had several requests to block him, or querulous comments wondering why I haven't.

I haven't because he doesn't engage in attacks on people (only their viewpoints) or engage in abusive behavior. Otherwise, I'll engage him along with everyone else who comments on my FB profile, whether from the left or from the right.

I'll spare you for now the reunion I had with a politically conservative fellow who exchanges articles with me there - who, it turns out, was a work-study student at the Current when I was its managing editor.

Quote:
I don't really drink. I don't do weed, never did. I haven't smoked a cigarette since I was 19. Whenever I went to clubs as a young person I drank soda. I'm old enough to be your Mom, but I'm not like many parents you've known since I've never been one.

If I go to a bar it's one that serves food like the Cherry St Tavern.
The Cherry Street Tavern is a gem. I hope nobody gets their hands on it and screws it up.

You'd like the Grey Lodge. Their fish sandwich is fantastic.

Maybe we should make this happen, you all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia