Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2017, 05:47 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
Loving all the comments. I think Chicago has a great skyline esp with Lake Michigan and the river in between it.

Reference the NY Skyline...coming in on NJT into the tunnels i just love it.

Hudson / Schuykill Yards are def game changers for both cities. When the news broke about Schuykill Yards i was like "Yikes here we go, the railroad is doing what it was intended to do." lol.

Views from Walt Whitman is def a nice lil view you see everything.

University City will be the second downtown lol....its already happening. East of Market i don't see too much going on over that end after the development over that end is completed.
You are maybe forgetting about the huge project to cover I95 at Penn's Landing. It includes a couple of possible towers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 08:14 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
The new tower looks AMAZING. The spire 100% improves the look, especially when stacked up next to Comcast I. Both look great next to each other. Neither really power over one another, and both maintain solidity in design but unique differences. Wait until the Ritz opens and we can all go up to the top for a cocktail. Now that will be a site to see.

My only request is I wish the crane would accidentally demolish 1900 Arch. That building is a monstrosity and the poorest excuse for architecture I have seen.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
The new tower looks AMAZING. The spire 100% improves the look, especially when stacked up next to Comcast I. Both look great next to each other. Neither really power over one another, and both maintain solidity in design but unique differences. Wait until the Ritz opens and we can all go up to the top for a cocktail. Now that will be a site to see.

My only request is I wish the crane would accidentally demolish 1900 Arch. That building is a monstrosity and the poorest excuse for architecture I have seen.
It's not even done yet. Wait till it is.

Ah, no, the hotel is going to be the new Four Seasons.

1900 Arch does have some nice outside seating and it does have street level retail. But, yes, it's pretty ugly?

Old 12-09-2017, 11:55 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

1900 Arch does have some nice outside seating and it does have street level retail. But, yes, it's pretty ugly?

I need to go beyond JFK a little more and explore that area between 13th and 21st and Arch street. Even when I worked in center city I never had a reason to go toward Arch street just the other direction.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I need to go beyond JFK a little more and explore that area between 13th and 21st and Arch street. Even when I worked in center city I never had a reason to go toward Arch street just the other direction.
Hmmm, Arch has the Convention Center from 11th to Broad St, RTM and a hotel at 12th, the Fabric Workshop and architecture place toward 13th, a parking garage, church and new Aloft Hotel at Broad. Crossing Broad there's the MSB and Thomas Paine Plaza, Love Park toward 15th and 16th. At 16th the Phoenix condo. Comcast Center and Logan Sq 3 starting at 17th. New Comcast at 18th. The very ugly 1900 Arch. 20th and Arch has the PA Horticultural Society.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:25 PM

385 posts, read 400,504 times
Quote:
You are maybe forgetting about the huge project to cover I95 at Penn's Landing. It includes a couple of possible towers.
You are right , i forgot about that project also.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:50 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:

I knew that. lol I don't know why in the heck I wrote Ritz. Yea getting a cocktail on the top floor looking out from those open floor plates, is going to be spectacular.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:29 PM

836 posts, read 850,658 times
I see a lot of people here love the CITC, but I'm probably in the minority o people who abhor the tower. It's just plain ugly IMHO to be the tallest in the city and the state. I personally felt the American Commerce Center was a much better design and was more ambitious of a project because not only was it taller (1510' to CITCs 1211'), but the ACC had a green roof, a patio in the middle of the tower, a winter garden, a luxury shopping mall, a fitness center, and the possibility of attracting a major company as a tenant. The ACC was supposed to be completed b 2012, but due to the bureaucracy of the city and state, never got a chance to be erected.

The fools that post on Skyscraperpage just don't understand that maintaining a company's HQ here whether domestic or foreign, is of high importance but opening up another Comcast Tower, which the city didn't really need but then again, let the fools celebrate this subpar looking tower whose roof isn't even taller than the Comcast Center unless a spire is attached to it. That's like saying we won't try to be the tallest. Don't be surprised to see more companies leave either the city or the region altogether because I for one am getting tires of the corporate welfare the Comcast receives in comparison to other companies.

I won't be surprised to see Aramark leave the city, especially since it seems like the company is downsizing it's presence from 11th and Market to their current HQ on the Schuylkill. Imagine that the city had 8 Fortune 500 companies based in the city, and now we're down to about two or three, depending on who you talk to. I see the city being down to only one (Comcast), and it doesn't help that many of the consulates that we once had are closing and moving all their services to NYC. It makes a lot sense because Philadelphia failed to improve on it's international presence, and while it's a shock, I don't blame the consulates for closing in Philadelphia, neither.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:41 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I see a lot of people here love the CITC, but I'm probably in the minority o people who abhor the tower. It's just plain ugly IMHO to be the tallest in the city and the state. I personally felt the American Commerce Center was a much better design and was more ambitious of a project because not only was it taller (1510' to CITCs 1211'), but the ACC had a green roof, a patio in the middle of the tower, a winter garden, a luxury shopping mall, a fitness center, and the possibility of attracting a major company as a tenant. The ACC was supposed to be completed b 2012, but due to the bureaucracy of the city and state, never got a chance to be erected.

The fools that post on Skyscraperpage just don't understand that maintaining a company's HQ here whether domestic or foreign, is of high importance but opening up another Comcast Tower, which the city didn't really need but then again, let the fools celebrate this subpar looking tower whose roof isn't even taller than the Comcast Center unless a spire is attached to it. That's like saying we won't try to be the tallest. Don't be surprised to see more companies leave either the city or the region altogether because I for one am getting tires of the corporate welfare the Comcast receives in comparison to other companies.

I won't be surprised to see Aramark leave the city, especially since it seems like the company is downsizing it's presence from 11th and Market to their current HQ on the Schuylkill. Imagine that the city had 8 Fortune 500 companies based in the city, and now we're down to about two or three, depending on who you talk to. I see the city being down to only one (Comcast), and it doesn't help that many of the consulates that we once had are closing and moving all their services to NYC. It makes a lot sense because Philadelphia failed to improve on it's international presence, and while it's a shock, I don't blame the consulates for closing in Philadelphia, neither.
Oh Aramark is not at 11th and Market anymore? I thought the site I saw on the Schuylkill was another building in addition to the one on 11th and Market.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:17 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I won't be surprised to see Aramark leave the city, especially since it seems like the company is downsizing it's presence from 11th and Market to their current HQ on the Schuylkill.
IIRC, even after you factor out the space devoted to Fitler Club (75,000 sf), Aramark actually is occupying more space in the 2400 Market building than it did at 1101 (~325,000 sf at 2400). The move is consolidating Aramark employees who were in two buildings into one; there's no reduction in headcount - it remains at 1,200. According to this Philadelphia Business Journal article reporting on Aramark putting its lit sign atop the building, 2400 Market has two other tenants. The building may be squatter than 1101, but it's no less spacious - it was built as an auto assembly plant and had six more floors stacked on top of it (it was supposed to get about 20 more, but the apartment portion of the project got scrubbed when Aramark decided it would be the lead tenant here) when it was rebuilt.

When Aramark conducted its search for a new headquarters, it did not consider locations outside the city, from what I recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia