Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:47 AM

11 posts, read 170,888 times

Advertisements

Not the most dangerous in terms of traffic. I am curious what streets are the most dangerous in terms of crime. Thanks in advance.

Mod note: This thread was started in 2009.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-03-2017 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:08 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
well, you can start here

Top 10 Drug Corners | Cover Story | News and Opinion | Philadelphia Weekly

i know the article is 2 yrs old, but i don't think these streets have changed much

10) 1600-1900 W. Wingohocking St., Tioga.
9) Fifth and Carpenter sts., Pennsport. (even 5th & Christian is bad)
8) 52nd and Market sts., West Philadelphia.
7) A and Westmoreland sts., Fairhill.
6) Bridge and Hawthorne sts., Frankford.
5) "The Box": 21st and McKean sts. to 23rd and McKean sts., north to 21st and Sigel sts. through 23rd and Sigel sts., Girard Estates.
4) 17th and Jefferson sts., Poplar.
3) Fifth and Westmoreland sts., Fairhill.
2) Third and Indiana sts., Fairhill.
1) Kensington and Somerset sts., Kensington.

Last edited by john_starks; 08-07-2009 at 08:23 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,973 times
Unfortunately, too many to name. However as neighborhoods as far as are concerned, North Philadelphia and most of Southwest Philly is among the worst.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
well, you can start here

Top 10 Drug Corners | Cover Story | News and Opinion | Philadelphia Weekly

i know the article is 2 yrs old, but i don't think these streets have changed much

10) 1600-1900 W. Wingohocking St., Tioga.
9) Fifth and Carpenter sts., Pennsport. (even 5th & Christian is bad)
8) 52nd and Market sts., West Philadelphia.
7) A and Westmoreland sts., Fairhill.
6) Bridge and Hawthorne sts., Frankford.
5) "The Box": 21st and McKean sts. to 23rd and McKean sts., north to 21st and Sigel sts. through 23rd and Sigel sts., Girard Estates.
4) 17th and Jefferson sts., Poplar.
3) Fifth and Westmoreland sts., Fairhill.
2) Third and Indiana sts., Fairhill.
1) Kensington and Somerset sts., Kensington.
No. 5 is not in Girard Estates, that is Point Breeze. GR is much further to the south and that is pretty much a desirable area and still relatively safe. As far as No. 7 is concerned that is not Fairhill. It is North Kensington/Harrowgate - Fairhill begins at Front St. to the west. However, I do agree that it is a pretty bad corner. No. 9 also seems to be off as well , that is Southwark ( where the three hi-rise project buildings with the same name used to stand). Pennsport is east of 4th St. and south of Washington Ave. I lived in the Pennsport area from 1983 to 1992 in the 300 block of Dickinson St.

Last edited by otters21; 08-07-2009 at 10:28 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 02:55 PM

119 posts, read 613,703 times
''A and Westmoreland sts., Fairhill.'' I lived at the corners of D & Westmoreland until I was About 12years old,It is most defitnetly Kensington.I went to Ascencion of our lord catholic school at F & Westmoreland and played Baseball,football,basketball at mcviegh playground.This was in the late eighties early ninetys.When the nieghborhood took a turn for the worst my family moved.We moved to frankford,near Cheltenham and oakland streets,now that nieghborhood is a sh*t hole too.
I now live in mayfair near pennypack hopefully what happened to those places dosn't happen here.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
''A and Westmoreland sts., Fairhill.'' I lived at the corners of D & Westmoreland until I was About 12years old,It is most defitnetly Kensington.I went to Ascencion of our lord catholic school at F & Westmoreland and played Baseball,football,basketball at mcviegh playground.This was in the late eighties early ninetys.When the nieghborhood took a turn for the worst my family moved.We moved to frankford,near Cheltenham and oakland streets,now that nieghborhood is a sh*t hole too.
I now live in mayfair near pennypack hopefully what happened to those places dosn't happen here.
Both D and Westmoreland in Kensington and then Cheltenham and Oakland in in Frankford did go to HE double toothpick in a hand basket since the late 80s - all because of the "lovely" Section 8 trash moved there when many of the projects in other areas of the city closed down. I certainly hope your neighborhood in Mayfair survives the Section 8 cancer. It makes my blood boil and turns my stomach to see how the the blue collar Joe neighborhoods had been very adversely affected by this scum moving in and taking over with their filthy crime, disgusting drugs and evil shootings. Plus the industriy and factories moving to the auto eccentric South did not help matters any. You can thank a certain President who got elected in the late 70s and NAFTA. After he took office is when the blue collar jobs dried up in Philly and in other big US cities. Alot of those jobs were offshored.That began the death knell of many decent blue collar Joe areas all over the country.Chicago is another city that has been hit hard with this garbage.( I would like to use another term but I would be censored.) In 1994 my job had transferred me out to Columbus ,Ohio. I literally went kicking and screaming. Now I have no desire to ever return to Philly because of what happened to most of the once safe and affordable Blue collar Joe neighborhoods. It breaks my heart to say this.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:25 PM

119 posts, read 613,703 times
I agree with everything you said.Being born and raised in Philly with lots of friends and family here I never thought of leaving the city.But there are times when I truly hate it here.Rude and ignorant people,horrible drivers,filthy houses on other wise clean blocks,terrible public service's,drugs,violence and on and on and on.
I'm usually filled with philly pride and am a huge homer but sometimes I really do get disgusted.
If I here the word "gentrification" one more time I'll puke.
Maybe when I feel better I 'll post the things that I love here.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:25 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,192 times
I've been through 4 and 8 before. 8 is such a central location to that section of West Philly, especially with the lines of businesses. It's ashame it's smelly and seems to have a hard time thriving. There's some culture and vibes there among the bad activities.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4NeR1sgBQs&feature=fvw has 8 in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ugL...e=channel_page
This video gives you a good idea of why 1 is at #1.

Last edited by chessimprov; 08-09-2009 at 08:34 PM..

Old 04-09-2011, 01:37 PM

25 posts, read 151,394 times
all I know is...west philly [carol park, belmont, wynnefield, overbrook, mantua, etc.], north philly [east poplar, west poplar, fairhill, strawberry mansion, hunting park, nicetown, west kensington, allegheny, etc.], northeast philly [kensington, frankford, fishtown], south philly [point breeze, hawthorne, southwest center city, king village/grays ferry, etc.], southwest [southwest schuylkill, bartrum village, etc.], northwest [germantown, west oaklane, etc.]...bodies for decades, haunted, cold-cased up...

Old 04-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ O View Post
all I know is...west philly [carol park, belmont, wynnefield, overbrook, mantua, etc.], north philly [east poplar, west poplar, fairhill, strawberry mansion, hunting park, nicetown, west kensington, allegheny, etc.], northeast philly [kensington, frankford, fishtown], south philly [point breeze, hawthorne, southwest center city, king village/grays ferry, etc.], southwest [southwest schuylkill, bartrum village, etc.], northwest [germantown, west oaklane, etc.]...bodies for decades, haunted, cold-cased up...
You are completely on the mark except for( Northeast Philly) Fishtown which is now a trendy area with many professionals and I would replace that particular neighborhood with Oxford Circle/ Summerdale on your list of no go areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia