U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 12:44 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,504,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBToast View Post
I work in a STEM field and my workplace is almost 1/3 Asian. I work near the NE edge of Philadelphia, near Chestnut Hill. Many of the Asian people I work with choose to live in Upper Dublin in Montgomery County. I believe so they can have their kids in that school district. That being said, it's still only listed as 8.5% Asian. However, Media is only 3.5%. Upper Dublin encompasses parts of Ambler and Fort Washington and Jenkintown, some of which have been mentioned.

Although we do have a few Japanese people, it's mostly a Chinese crowd. They tend to have a lot of large group gatherings and picnics and be very active socially. Not sure if this is helpful or not.

Jenkintown is a short train ride to center city.
I believe 8.5% would be considered "high" for the region in general.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 08:05 AM

23 posts, read 8,948 times
Default More advice please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
A 700k budget will definitely get you a nice single family home in the suburbs in a great school district with a commute about half of what you are doing now. For example, I live in Newtown, Bucks County, in Council Rock SD, which is one of the top districts in the state. I have a 2500sf 4/3 house that was way below your budget and a commute that is an hour in the AM and a little less in the PM. There are plenty of areas even closer to the city with great schools and a shorter commute, too.
Hello - providing everyone an update. I ended up accepting the job. I moved to Philly in late February. My wife and son (high school age) join me in June. I work in Center City (18th & Walnut). Since early March, I have been going all over the place trying to figure out where to live. My original thought was to have a 30-40 minute (maximum) commute - but I am seriously questioning that. For example - I look at MainLine - it seems like I need to spend about 900k to find a place that is worth owning. Plenty of places there around 600-700k that look nice on the outside but completely dated inside - not to mention that you then need to worry about the age of the house and potential repairs.

I then went to Media - nice but about an hour commute. Homes for 700k seemed doable - but driving through the area - it was the weirdest feeling - Some places were open, but in many cases - it felt like I was literally driving through a forest.

I am now starting to think about Bucks County. Seems like for 500-600k, you can find a really nice place. For 700k (maybe a little more) you can even get new construction. One of the appeals to me is that it is a little further north so NYC is definitely in range. Why I say that is important is because I work in brokerage - and while not currently interested in looking - at some point I could see needing to get a job in NYC. While the commute would suck - from Bucks County, this would be doable. On the flip side - going to Philly from Bucks would be about an 1 hour 10 min - 1 hour 30 min commute (compared to my 2 1/2 hours in LA - sucks but doable).

My concern is that I don't want a place that feels hickish or too country. Can anyone give me any thoughts on Bucks or other places to consider?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:58 AM

7,622 posts, read 3,657,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdman_35 View Post

My concern is that I don't want a place that feels hickish or too country. Can anyone give me any thoughts on Bucks or other places to consider?
Bucks County, especially central Bucks, combines rural woods and farmland with urbane sophistication - I can't imagine you won't find a place you'll love living in there.

My two top recommendations there are the county seat of Doylestown and the adult playground of New Hope. Doylestown has tons of charm, several great museums (including the quirky Mercer, the reinforced-concrete home of the man who ran the Moravian Tile Works; "Mercer tiles" are prized decorative objects in the homes that have them and are also found in the state Capitol in Harrisburg. I believe the pottery, also a museum, still makes reproductions of some of his designs), and a lively dining scene.

New Hope adds entertainment to the dining and subtracts the museums (save for its mule barge rides along the Delaware Canal and the tourist railroad that operates out of it). It's one of a string of very picturesque, very charming towns along the Delaware upstream of Trenton/Morrisville (the latter in lower Bucks, which is more blue-collar and industrial), most of which are more bucolic than New Hope - which is also the epicenter of gay (mainly; lesbian much less so) life in Bucks.

Awaiting others' contributions.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:47 AM

76 posts, read 48,220 times
I would highly recommend looking in the Yardley/Lower Makefield/Newtown area where I live. They are located within minutes of Interstate 95 and have a lot of options in your price range. Without any traffic it's a 35 minute drive to Philly. In rush hour it's in that 1 hour fifteen minute mark you mentioned. The downside is all of the construction. But many of the projects have a 2019-2021 end date. You're also close to two Septa rail lines to Center City and NJ Transit and Amtrak to NYC.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:29 PM

551 posts, read 281,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Bucks County, especially central Bucks, combines rural woods and farmland with urbane sophistication - I can't imagine you won't find a place you'll love living in there.

My two top recommendations there are the county seat of Doylestown and the adult playground of New Hope. Doylestown has tons of charm, several great museums (including the quirky Mercer, the reinforced-concrete home of the man who ran the Moravian Tile Works; "Mercer tiles" are prized decorative objects in the homes that have them and are also found in the state Capitol in Harrisburg. I believe the pottery, also a museum, still makes reproductions of some of his designs), and a lively dining scene.

New Hope adds entertainment to the dining and subtracts the museums (save for its mule barge rides along the Delaware Canal and the tourist railroad that operates out of it). It's one of a string of very picturesque, very charming towns along the Delaware upstream of Trenton/Morrisville (the latter in lower Bucks, which is more blue-collar and industrial), most of which are more bucolic than New Hope - which is also the epicenter of gay (mainly; lesbian much less so) life in Bucks.

Awaiting others' contributions.
Doylestown and New Hope, while as lovely as you describe, are adding even more time to a commute to center city. For a commute to Philly, Newtown is probably the limit as far a tolerability, then look towards the city from there (i.e. Yardley, Richboro, Langhorne, Makefield, etc.).

Old 05-08-2018, 02:06 PM

7,622 posts, read 3,657,909 times
A note on commutes from Bucks County to Philadelphia and New York:

By road, Lower Bucks is closer to Philadelphia than New York by a hair. Central Bucks commutes would take about the same amount of time in either direction because of the highway connections. Upper Bucks longer in both cases but closer to Philadelphia via highways.

Transit commutes are more convenient to Philadelphia from Lower and Central Bucks because you'd need to get to Trenton first before going to NYC. In Lower Bucks, that simply means changing trains there if you're near the Trenton Line. Everywhere else, it means driving to either Trenton and taking NJ Transit from there or a Trenton Line station, then changing trains in Trenton.

It's about 90 minutes from Doylestown to Philadelphia on SEPTA. Driving from there to New York would take about the same amount of time, depending on traffic. Driving to Trenton then taking NJT would take longer because the highways through Doylestown don't head towards Trenton.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 05-08-2018 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 05:45 PM

377 posts, read 578,175 times
Why haven't you considered mid-Jersey? Princeton, etc.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:24 PM

I have looked in Jersey. For example - Cherry Hill is only a few minutes from Philly - the problem I have is the taxes. It is crazy high.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:26 PM

I know that Septa is a 1.3 hour commute from Doylestown - how about by car. According to Waze - during rush hour it is about 1.15 - is that accurate or not?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:35 PM

1,442 posts, read 918,833 times
It sounds like you are looking for new construction. I would recommend looking at up to 1980 houses because they are still "mordern". Coming from California, I can understand why you think the Philly area looks like a forest. After a while you get used to the trees, save for the yard work that comes along with having a lot of trees. Keep this in mind when considering the size of your lot.

For 600 - 700K, you'll get something decent. May be not as grand as you expected but still pretty good. If you are willing to stomach a long commute, make sure it's by train so you want to live close to the train station. It's not fun driving into Philly everyday although our traffic doesn't come close to the madness in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia