Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 01:44 PM

39 posts, read 35,592 times

Advertisements

Hello - I am at the last stages of being offered a place of employment with a company based in Philly (off of Walnut Street). This would be a pretty big move for my family and I so I am hoping to get any and all advice! Current Situations: Live north of LA about 40 miles. My current daily commute is 1.45 - 2 hours one way. I live in a really nice suburb (2000 sq foot house with a small pool). When I look at the various cost of living comparison websites - Philly is not nearly as inexpensive as I was thinking. Comparing to LA, and depending not eh website, it looks like Philly is anywhere from 3% - 15% cheaper.

What am I looking for? In looking at living in Philly - it seems like my price range (600-700k) would be ok to get a condo but a stand alone house seems difficult. Having lived in a house for 20 years, not sure that I am going to be comfortable living in a condo. Additionally, I have a wife and 2 kids. The kids are older - my daughter is away at college and my son is a freshman in high school - so school for at least him is a consideration. This leads me to think that suburb living would be a better option Any suggestions? Anyone from LA move to Philly? What would you say about the city? I know that it can be dangerous - but then so can LA if you are stupid and go down the wrong streets or parts of town.

Any suggestions would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 03:03 PM

1,387 posts, read 911,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdman_35 View Post
Hello - I am at the last stages of being offered a place of employment with a company based in Philly (off of Walnut Street). This would be a pretty big move for my family and I so I am hoping to get any and all advice! Current Situations: Live north of LA about 40 miles. My current daily commute is 1.45 - 2 hours one way. I live in a really nice suburb (2000 sq foot house with a small pool). When I look at the various cost of living comparison websites - Philly is not nearly as inexpensive as I was thinking. Comparing to LA, and depending not eh website, it looks like Philly is anywhere from 3% - 15% cheaper.

What am I looking for? In looking at living in Philly - it seems like my price range (600-700k) would be ok to get a condo but a stand alone house seems difficult. Having lived in a house for 20 years, not sure that I am going to be comfortable living in a condo. Additionally, I have a wife and 2 kids. The kids are older - my daughter is away at college and my son is a freshman in high school - so school for at least him is a consideration. This leads me to think that suburb living would be a better option Any suggestions? Anyone from LA move to Philly? What would you say about the city? I know that it can be dangerous - but then so can LA if you are stupid and go down the wrong streets or parts of town.

A 700k budget will definitely get you a nice single family home in the suburbs in a great school district with a commute about half of what you are doing now. For example, I live in Newtown, Bucks County, in Council Rock SD, which is one of the top districts in the state. I have a 2500sf 4/3 house that was way below your budget and a commute that is an hour in the AM and a little less in the PM. There are plenty of areas even closer to the city with great schools and a shorter commute, too.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:14 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Quote:

I HIGHLY recommend moving to Southeast Pennsylvania. The quality of life is one of the highest in the nation. Philadelphia metro is one of the wealthiest and well educated in the USA. There is TONS of history, amazing historic architecture and a strong transit system. NJ Beaches are only 1 hour - 1.5 hours away. In my mind the only major shock will be the seasons, as winter can get cold and snowy here.

Also cost of living is much more manageable than NYC or DC. (aka you get ALOT more for your money).

Your budget is comfortable and affords quite a wide array of locations; both within the city and outside.

Also Center City Philadelphia is the 3rd largest downtown in the Nation; after NYC and Chicago, and the culture and amenities can rival anything L.A offers. (It is a very vibrant and bustling city). Their are bad parts of Philadelphia, but as you said, every city has its bad parts. The press and notion that the city and 'region' are bad, are incredibly overstated, as I said once you explore Southeast PA, I think you will be thoroughly impressed.

City Living v. Suburbs.

City:

NW PHILADELPHIA - WEST MT. AIRY - CHESTNUT HILL
It sounds like you are one who is looking for a single family with a yard. Living in the City of Philadelphia, there are beautiful neighborhoods in your price point that does offer this. The most desirable are all located in NW Philadelphia. Primarily the 'West Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill neighborhoods'. You have direct transit access to your job (Center City) via SEPTA commuter rail. (30 minute commute).

Both have a diversity of housing stock from stone mansions, to beautiful single family, to historic attached. It is adjacent to Fairmount Park and the Wissahickhen (which is the largest urban park in the USA), so there is TONS of natural beauty. Also the mainstreet Germantown Ave, is FILLED with character. Cobblestone main street, and tons of historic architecture.

With that, you are located in the City of Philadelphia. And Philadelphia schools. Philadelphia School District DOES HAVE some of the best high schools in the state, but they are incredibly competitive and their is quite a process to be admitted. Many parents do send their kids to private school, at a variety of price points.

*TO BE NOTED. Property taxes in the city of Philadelphia are much lower than the suburbs. And many new properties or significantly rehabbed qualify for a 10 year property tax abatement. Which can justify the cost for private education for your son.

Suburbs:

Your price point is comfortable; and therefore affords quite a few options. Southeast PA is comprised of 4 surrounding counties; each of these counties is absolutely blessed with amazing school districts. SEPA is a powerhouse when it comes to public education for the most part. Each offer pros and cons, but all are relatively similar. Therefore I will recommend by county focusing on proximity to the city.

Chester County, PA :
One of the most affluent counties in the USA. Tons of historic towns, great transit access to Center City and amazing school districts. Without having alot of detail I will touch on some areas.

West Chester: Quaint historic town. Host to West Chester University. Tons of restaurants, bars, shops. Less than 15 min drive to the Exton station; which gives you direct access to Philadelphia and NYC. The one drawback is you are a bit further out. Most who work in Center City take commuter rail into work, as the highway infrastructure is limited, and the transit system is actually more expansive than the highway network.

(Western Fringe of the Mainline) Malvern, PA/Berwyn, PA : The Mainline, PA is an affluent area of over 20 towns extending from the City Line of Philadelphia westward along the Amtrak route/Route 30. It is quite a large area, and while you can find homes in your price point further east, you will find that you will get much more for your money in these two western fringe communities. Both are in excellent schools. You have direct access to SEPTA Rail (Southeast Pennsylvania Transit Authority) and Amtrak. Excellent Schools. And TONS of character.

Delaware County, PA :
Media, PA/Swarthmore, PA area: One of the largest and most vibrant walkable suburban/towns in the entire region. TONS of restaurants, shops, theaters, breweries, Trader Joes is walkable and right downtown. Even has a trolley that runs down its Main Street. The borough is quite compact, but any of the communities surrounding Media will afford you MANY options, and all in an excellent school district. You also have SEPTA access to Center City. AND are close to 95. Their are only 2 highways that feed to Center City (95 and 76) and 95 is the more desirable between the two. (76 is notorious for ALWAYS being delayed).

Newtown Square: Just north of Media area. There is more open space. (although much is being developed) Tons of natural beauty. And overall a desirable area and worth considering within DELCO.

Montgomery County, PA:

Lower Montgomery County:

Wynnewood/Narberth, PA: These are lower mainline communities. And considered inner ring historic suburbs. You are in Lower Merion School District. One of the top in the state and in the USA. The housing stock has TONS of character. You also are very close to Center City Philadelphia. You can take the train and your work commute would only be 20 mins. The area also has vibrant walkable towns, with tons of restaurants, theaters and everything from high end shopping at Suburban Square to Whole Foods/Trader Joes/Farmers Market etc. The downfall is you will get less house for your money that the western fringe mainline area I suggested for Chester County. But you also get TONS of character (if you appreciate that type of thing).

Central Montgomery County:

Lower Gwynedd, PA : Area is adjacent to Ambler, PA (another cute walkable town). A variety of housing stock. Everything from older to new. Your price point will get you more for your money. Access to Center City is a bit more challenging. Their is transit access though.

Rydal/Jenkintown/Abington, PA : Jenkintown is a quaint walkable town. (Where Bradley Cooper is from). Housing stock tends to be a bit older, but tons of character. And you will get more for your money than Wynnewood/Narberth. SEPTA access to Center City.

Lower Bucks County:

Newtown/Yardley, PA : 2 towns, quite close to each other. SUPER quaint. Bucks County overall is stunning. It has tons of open space in its northern part, and has one of the highest concentration of colonial farmhouses in the USA. (New Hope, PA is consistently named one of the coolest small towns in the USA). Both towns are in amazing schools district. Newtown and Yardley both have SEPTA stops and you are close to 95 for commuting purposes as well. Both are in excellent school districts.

Their are many other great places to recommend in SEPA. I tried to focus on the ones that would afford you the most manageable commute to Center City, since you stated you worked there. My suggestion if you do take the job offer, is to spend 3 days visiting all the above places and get a feel for what area you like best. But all are very desirable.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 12-16-2017 at 05:51 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 05:31 PM

1,387 posts, read 911,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Newtown/Yardley, PA : 2 towns, quite close to each other. SUPER quaint. Bucks County overall is stunning. It has tons of open space in its northern part, and has one of the highest concentration of colonial farmhouses in the USA. (New Hope, PA is consistently named one of the coolest small towns in the USA). Both towns are in amazing schools district. Newtown and Yardley both have SEPTA stops and you are close to 95 for commuting purposes as well. Both are in excellent school districts.
Newtown doesn't have a SEPTA station. The best SEPTA stations to use for Newtown are either Woodbourne Rd or Langhorne (on the West Trenton line), which are both about a 10-15 min drive from Newtown. Regardless, the rest of all of that is accurate.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:19 PM

39 posts, read 35,592 times
Thanks for all of the great tips! I really appreciate it. One other fact I forgot to mention is that ethnic diversity is important to me. My wife is from Japan. I am asian, although I grew up in America in the midwest so I can feel comfortable in most situations. For my wife though, having at least a decent asian population with large japanese grocery stores is important. Any thoughts on this?

Old 12-16-2017, 06:44 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,484 times
The townhouse in Center city is gorgeous but can be pricey. It can offer you a more unique lifestyle rather than suburban living.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:49 PM

377 posts, read 667,114 times
Japan America Society of Greater Philadelphia |
https://jlsp.us/
Oregon Market 320 W Oregon Ave, Philadelphia
Maido! A Marketplace of Japan (close by suburb - they deliver large orders)
http://www.sakuramandarin.com/wp/wp-...gular_Menu.pdf
There are lots more throughout the city and suburbs.
Philly has one of the largest and best organized Chinatown's in the country, which also contains several Japanese establishments. You will not, however, find an equivalent to LA's Little Tokyo, unless you move or visit NYC.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:50 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of the great tips! I really appreciate it. One other fact I forgot to mention is that ethnic diversity is important to me. My wife is from Japan. I am asian, although I grew up in America in the midwest so I can feel comfortable in most situations. For my wife though, having at least a decent asian population with large japanese grocery stores is important. Any thoughts on this?
This information is 100% insightful. As the other poster stated above, Philadelphia has one of the most active and well organized Chinatown's in the USA and there is a great deal of Japanese establishments/influence. (although it is predominantly Chinese.) I know SEPA has quite a sizeable asian population overall (no where as large as SoCal, but still sizable for the Northeast). I would research and reach out to some Japanese culture centers in the region and maybe get some feedback on pockets of Japanese communities.

I know the lower mainline (ardmore/wynnewood/narberth), does have a decent Asian population. But do not quote me on that. The closer to the city you are, the more diverse you will find the population.

With that I probably recommend : #1) Narberth/Wynnewood/Ardmore #2) Media Area #3) Chestnut Hill/W. Mt. Airy (in the city). #4) Jenkintown as the #1 areas. As they all are closest to the city. The further out from the city you are, generally the less diverse. BUT most of SEPA (southeast Pennsylvania) is progressive and quite accepting of everyone. You will find it more progressive than the midwest.

To give you an example in Ardmore they have this great Japanese Market. http://www.maidoardmore.com/

Last edited by rowhomecity; 12-16-2017 at 09:01 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 11:22 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
I can't help you with the Asian question, but you can certainly get a nice home in a great school district in the suburbs with your budget. Having grown up in the Phila. suburbs and lived in three counties (Montgomery, Chester and Delaware), I would vote for the Main Line. Beautiful area, lovely people, top-rated schools, and easy access to the city. All the other places mentioned are excellent too, but I particularly liked how close the Main Line is to the city by car or train, plus the other interstate highways. I also lived for a time in Southern California so obviously I know you'll miss the weather out there, but Philadelphia normally does not have as severe a winter as some other northeastern states. Summers can be miserably hot/humid for long stretches though.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:55 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
rowhomecity, you should have included Doyletown. It has Septa access to the city. Since you mentioned Bradley Cooper, the singer, Pink, is from Doylestown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia