U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 09:50 PM

24,842 posts, read 26,994,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I would consider that neighborhood to be Burholme, not Fox Chase. The corner property used to be Paese Pizza, which must have been there for 25+ years and then there was something else there briefly so I wouldn’t be overly concerned by the vacant commercial property. I think the other home is coincidentally in the vicinity. Maybe there was a fire or a reno which is causing the windows to be boarded up. I don’t recall seeing any boarded up homes in the area. But I will say that while that area is pretty stable now, it may not be in 10 years (but I guess you could say that about any neighborhood.)
Yeah, I don't know exactly where the border between the two is located....kind of fuzzy. Burholme is a pretty small neighborhood. I think Burholme is slightly less well off than Fox Chase, but it's still considered a decent area--hope it stays that way.

I hope you are right that it's just a coincidence and that the area will stay in good repair. I guess a red flag went up when I saw 2 boarded up properties in that area within a block of each other. I had the thought that the ghetto is starting to creep above Cottman Avenue, but I seriously hope I am wrong.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:56 PM

Thanks for all your replies, folks!

Old 12-22-2017, 06:47 AM

8,308 posts, read 4,479,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Well, of course the houses would've been much newer looking 40 years ago. I hope you are right that the neighborhood will stay nice.
The Cancer Center, which as I said attracts patients world-wide, will help keep the neighborhood stable as long as it stays there. It's now part of Temple Health, btw.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:00 AM

33 posts, read 21,776 times
The houses where I lived were built around 1959. The houses pictured are much, much older than that, at least by 20 years. If not much older.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:09 AM

3,658 posts, read 1,881,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
It looks like the boarded up restaurant could have had a fire or something. Fox Chase seems to still be a nice neighborhood. Some really beautiful blocks there. Closer to Oxford Circle/Lawncrest still may be declining somewhat.
Oxford circle and lawncrest are totally bad now and Have been that way for awhile

Old 12-23-2017, 05:04 PM

2,556 posts, read 1,797,434 times
I believe pretty much the entire Northeast is in decline, but Fox Chase is still one of the better areas.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:38 AM

3,744 posts, read 1,817,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yeah, the rest of the surrounding neighborhood still looks nice. So I hope it's just a fluke.

I know that Lawncrest has certainly declined. It was never upscale, but I hear the part below Levick and east of Rising Sun where I grew up is really ghetto-ish now.
FWIW, I don't think any of that part of the Northeast is "upscale."

Fox Chase has a nice village feel, but despite having several very good and classy ethnic restaurants and food shops, it doesn't strike me as terribly tony. (I know the owner of one of those places, the Hop Angel Brauhaus. He lives in Tacony. Now, if you want to see what some intelligent streetscaping can do for a blue-collar business district, I invite you all to take a walk along Torresdale Avenue in Tacony sometime. That's now up there with Oxford Avenue in Fox Chase as the cutest Main Street in the Northeast, IMO. The Hop Angel's owner also has a stake in the Sawtown Tavern in Tacony, which is owned and run by a friend I've known since we both worked at Penn and his life partner.)

The one part of the Northeast that I understand is "tony" is Pine Valley in the Far Northeast. I haven't seen that area yet.

Frankford's Northwood section used to be.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
FWIW, I don't think any of that part of the Northeast is "upscale."
For the most part, I would agree; although parts of Bustleton in the Far NE look pretty nice. I guess it depends on your definition of upscale. It certainly isn't upscale like the neighboring suburbs are.

Quote:
Fox Chase has a nice village feel, but despite having several very good and classy ethnic restaurants and food shops, it doesn't strike me as terribly tony. (I know the owner of one of those places, the Hop Angel Brauhaus. He lives in Tacony. Now, if you want to see what some intelligent streetscaping can do for a blue-collar business district, I invite you all to take a walk along Torresdale Avenue in Tacony sometime. That's now up there with Oxford Avenue in Fox Chase as the cutest Main Street in the Northeast, IMO. The Hop Angel's owner also has a stake in the Sawtown Tavern in Tacony, which is owned and run by a friend I've known since we both worked at Penn and his life partner.)
I will take a look. But Tacony, overall, is also a declining area, isn't it?

Quote:
The one part of the Northeast that I understand is "tony" is Pine Valley in the Far Northeast. I haven't seen that area yet.
Yeah, Pine Valley...that was the part of Bustleton I was thinking of.

Quote:
Frankford's Northwood section used to be.
Yes, the homes there are beautiful, but right up against a really bad area.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The Cancer Center, which as I said attracts patients world-wide, will help keep the neighborhood stable as long as it stays there. It's now part of Temple Health, btw.
I hope you are right. If adjacent neighborhoods like Lawncrest & Oxford Circle are now considered bad however, it seems like it's inevitable that the decline will spill over into areas like Burholme, Fox Chase & Rhawnhurst.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriet1954 View Post
The houses where I lived were built around 1959. The houses pictured are much, much older than that, at least by 20 years. If not much older.
Yeah, according to Zillow, they were built in 1925.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia