U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2017, 02:11 PM

24,842 posts, read 26,994,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Oxford Circle and Lawncrest are totally bad now and Have been that way for awhile
It's really too bad. They used to be cute working/middle class areas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I know parts of Northeast Philly are not what they used to be. I know where I grew up in the lower part of Lawncrest is a semi-ghetto now (some would say it's totally ghetto).

It seemed like Fox Chase was holding up pretty well compared to some other neighborhoods in the Lower Northeast, but I wonder if that's beginning to change. I saw some recent pictures of boarded up houses in Fox Chase in recent google pictures here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0611...7i13312!8i6656

And here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0617...7i13312!8i6656

Both of these are within 1 block of each other. It could just be a fluke, but it kind of looks like a bad sign.

Opinions?
Just an update...The first link has an update from Google maps as of August 2018 and shows the house with boards in the windows has been repaired. The storefront a block away is still boarded up, though.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:11 AM

3,744 posts, read 1,817,961 times
Quote:
Yeah, according to Zillow, they were built in 1925.
I wouldn't trust the dates of construction given on TREND - the Greater Philadelphia region's MLS, from which Zillow gets its listings; it merged with the MLS serving the Greater Baltimore-Washington region last year to form a super-MLS called Bright MLS - at all; they're less reliable than Zillow's "Zestiimates" of property value.

The house I currently live in shows up in TREND as being built in 1925, as did the house I lived in on a street just off Castor Avenue at Oxford Circle for 18 months in 2011-13. I know the house I now live in predates 1906, for its rowmate was demolished in that year to provide the land on which what's now the Haitian Evangelical Baptist Church stands. (It was built as a Catholic parish hall.)

The house I lived in off Oxford Circle, its owner told me, was built right around 1946. The slightly older houses on the next block west date to the 1930s but also show up as dating to 1925. The block to its north is full of Airlites, which didn't start appearing until sometime around 1950. I don't know when TREND says they were built.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I wouldn't trust the dates of construction given on TREND - the Greater Philadelphia region's MLS, from which Zillow gets its listings; it merged with the MLS serving the Greater Baltimore-Washington region last year to form a super-MLS called Bright MLS - at all; they're less reliable than Zillow's "Zestiimates" of property value.

The house I currently live in shows up in TREND as being built in 1925, as did the house I lived in on a street just off Castor Avenue at Oxford Circle for 18 months in 2011-13. I know the house I now live in predates 1906, for its rowmate was demolished in that year to provide the land on which what's now the Haitian Evangelical Baptist Church stands. (It was built as a Catholic parish hall.)

The house I lived in off Oxford Circle, its owner told me, was built right around 1946. The slightly older houses on the next block west date to the 1930s but also show up as dating to 1925. The block to its north is full of Airlites, which didn't start appearing until sometime around 1950. I don't know when TREND says they were built.
Yeah, I know. You really can't trust Zillow on when homes were built in Philly. The house where we lived in Lawndale says 1925, but my parents told me it was actually built in 1929. It says my grandmother's house was built in 1950, but my mother lived in that very house as a child in the 1940s.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:25 AM

75 posts, read 27,293 times
Besides Zillow is there another trustworthy source for house age?

Old 10-10-2018, 07:56 AM

3,744 posts, read 1,817,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady123 View Post
Besides Zillow is there another trustworthy source for house age?
As I mentioned, Zillow and all the other real estate search engines get their data on houses for sale from the various regional multiple listing services, most of which are maintained by local associations of Realtors. Some, like Bright MLS, the regional MLS covering most of the urbanized Mid-Atlantic region from Philadelphia to Washington, are supported by several regional Realtor organizations.

And I have no idea where the MLSes get their data from.

I don't know whether the city's Office of Property Assessment maintains date-of-construction data, but if there's any place where I would go looking for it, that would be the first place I would look for properties in the city of Philadelphia. In the suburbs, I would look at the county recorder of deeds offices.

Old Today, 02:09 PM

3,271 posts, read 4,123,372 times
Quote:
Yeah, the rest of the surrounding neighborhood still looks nice. So I hope it's just a fluke.

I know that Lawncrest has certainly declined. It was never upscale, but I hear the part below Levick and east of Rising Sun where I grew up is really ghetto-ish now.
Sad. I grew up right around the corner from there.

(My grandparents lived in a small (detached) house in Fox Chase, and you could walk directly into Pennypack Park from their backyard.)

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; Today at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia