Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 04:55 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

Advertisements

Have only read the OP, but bravo for you for being so motivated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 07:26 PM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
You'll need to have at least 3 months to put up front when signing a lease (first month, last month, and security deposit). That can be a shock to people who haven't lived in a big city before. Also, most decent landlords won't rent to an 18 year old who has no job, limited/no credit, and no co-signer.

You want to live in Center City on a bottom-rung job? Good luck with that. Living in the city is hard, even when you are employed and make a living wage/salary. I can only imagine it's infinitely more stressful when you constantly have to worry about paying the basic bills. If you aren't doing well in high school now, what makes you think you'll do any better trying to get an education when you have to work and support yourself? And you'll need to get a higher education of some kind to become anyone worth hiring for a good job.

Stay put, get it together academically and financially, and then decide where to go. Better to wait and increase your chances of success the first go around then jump the gun into a situation that is most likely one to end in disappointment/failure.
For the most part, I agree with your advice, but would advise that the OP could always find roommates.

Nanielss: I'd also recommend that you give some consideration to living in an outlying neighborhood if you are set on coming here. You will find the rents less expensive, and even downright cheap if you're willing to accept a longer commute into the city.

Check out CCP as well. Most programs accommodate part-time students. Just remember that you'd have to establish residency in the state (I think that's 30 days) to qualify for the cheap in-state tuition.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:01 PM

283 posts, read 327,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
At your age getting into a good college, not just any college, should be your priority. My son is also in high school and I've told him the next 5 - 10 yrs will determine what kind of life he will live for the rest of his life.

If you want to live your dreams, make sure you make the most of the next few years. Don't come here to do minimum wage jobs because it ain't as fun as you think.
Honestly, he’s 18 now so it is what it is at this point. We don’t know what his cumulative HS GPA is, his family situation or if he even wants to go to college

OP, for film, I suggest learning on someone else’s dime. So try to get employed at a film related position.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:52 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
I want to say that some things want you to establish your foothold for 1 full year residency before offering such rates as in-state tuition, but don't quote me on that. I think if you can afford a car in the city and want a street parking permit, I think that would require a 1 year residency in Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia