U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,587 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

First time poster, I have gone through some of the older threads on the topic, but would also like any new thoughts anyone had. Thank you for your help!

When are you moving? July
Where are you coming from? Ohio
Why are you moving? New job
Where will you be working? Me: Collegeville, PA; Wife: Not sure yet, maybe wayne? she needs to be near an affluent area or in the city, since she works in finance. She is just starting her job search.
Have you been here yet? I have for a visit. Lived in lancaster for a few years so I am familiar with that area. Also recently drove to the airport from ephrata it took me 2.5 hours... so I really would like a short commute for my new job.

Will you buy or rent? Rent, ideally 2 bed room house with a den, safe neighborhood is a priority

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, no children, likely starting a family in next 1-2 years and wife may or may not continue to work full-time at that point
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? No
Are you keeping a car? Yes, 2 cars
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and Quiet with bustling activity relatively easy to access

What do you want to be closest to? Work

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? No preference - we do prefer to live in a neighborhood with people of a similar socioeconomic status to ourselves. Would be nice if there are good numbers of people in our age/marital/family status as ourselves, but that's not a necessity at all.

Coke or Pepsi? Diet coke

If my wife gets a great job in downtown philly I am willing to extend my commute a bit, but i would really prefer for it to be less than 30 minutes. She is also open to jobs in the suburbs, it is all a matter of whether they exist in finance/wealth management. We would like to be able to experience Philly city life atleast one weekend a month, ideally with public transport.

It would also be nice to have a walkable downtown in the city we live in, such as Media or Lancaster so that when we don't make it to the Philly, there is still stuff to do downtown.

Proximity to Indian population would also be nice, but we don't necessarily have to live in the same town.

If you have any towns that match this description, or any advice for our situation please let me know. Thank you, merry xmas and happy holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 10:04 AM

22,166 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Merck?

Old 12-23-2017, 12:14 PM

10,062 posts, read 5,742,944 times
OP re employment for your wife.

Vanguard, which is based in Malvern, PA. It's about 20miles from Collegeville if you end up living there. But commuting might be a drag since you would have to, probably, use routes 422 and 30.

Vanguard also has a satellite office at 2300 Chestnut St, in Center City(downtown) Philly.

TIAA(CREF) has local offices in University City(near UPenn) and 1835 Market St., Center City.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:58 AM

1,159 posts, read 680,633 times
hmmm. to be honest it is more challenging to recommend places until you know where your wife will get a job. I would probably recommend to stick by the Chesterbrook areas, that way your wife could drive to the Paoli line to take a train to Center City fairly easily. Its a great area, and if you are just renting it is flexible enough until you get to know the area more. You also are close to Phoenixville (which is great for young people); KOP (which has a nice size Indian population). The commute to Center City is not the best from there. But to be honest it is hard to find a compromise commute since Collegeville is definitely quite far from Center City.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,587 times
Default Update

So we will be working in collegeville area and blue bell area. We are looking for areas to live ideally closer to blue bell.

How is the area around colonial hills middle school, though its norristown some of the houses there are pretty big >2000 sq ft for a cheap price. It seems the crime is inching up from downtown and still occurs around plymouth road. Would you recommend going further north or west to look for places?

Looking for a >1700 sq ft house, or end unit town house atleast 2b/2ba in a safe quiet area for upto $2300

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-06-2018, 03:50 PM

834 posts, read 501,818 times
While Colonial Middle School doesn't appear to be too far away from downtown Norristown, it's actual mailing address is Plymouth Meeting, which is a fine area and right next to Blue Bell. Which would make the commute to Collegeville a bit more of a pain but not really too bad (a straight shoot up either Germantown Pike or Ridge Avenue will take you right to Collegeville).

That said, East Norriton is pretty much smack in the middle of Collegeville and Blue Bell, with a relatively easy commute to both. That is where I'd recommend concentrating your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or