Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 08:10 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
All the women I see are musicians in string bands....not the comics though.
I always thought the Comics were a bunch of drunk guys from Two Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 05:04 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
I watched the entire parade today via the PHL17 stream. Quality was excellent. It's the first time since I moved down to FL that I actually watched the entire parade. In recent years we watched bits and pieces. But the weather was terrible down here today as well, so spending the day inside watching the Mummers was actually a great way to spend the day.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:53 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I watched the entire parade today via the PHL17 stream. Quality was excellent. It's the first time since I moved down to FL that I actually watched the entire parade. In recent years we watched bits and pieces. But the weather was terrible down here today as well, so spending the day inside watching the Mummers was actually a great way to spend the day.
I watched it from FL too. I spent the entire afternoon watching the string bands and then watched the Fancy Brigades at night via the Facebook stream. I loved it! I think you miss those traditions when you move away.

By the way, if anyone isn't aware of the Fancy Brigades, check them out on youtube, especially the #1 and #2 winners -- Golden Crown and South Philly Vikings. Their performances were absolutely breathtaking. And to think these are all unpaid non-professionals. Also, back to the string bands, how about the story of 11-year-old Jake, who stepped up to be the new captain of Duffy after his father died suddenly in October? If anyone hasn't seen that performance, check it out...and have your tissues ready.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:51 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I watched it from FL too. I spent the entire afternoon watching the string bands and then watched the Fancy Brigades at night via the Facebook stream. I loved it! I think you miss those traditions when you move away.

By the way, if anyone isn't aware of the Fancy Brigades, check them out on youtube, especially the #1 and #2 winners -- Golden Crown and South Philly Vikings. Their performances were absolutely breathtaking. And to think these are all unpaid non-professionals. Also, back to the string bands, how about the story of 11-year-old Jake, who stepped up to be the new captain of Duffy after his father died suddenly in October? If anyone hasn't seen that performance, check it out...and have your tissues ready.
As I mentioned there used to be a string band of ex-Philadelphians in Miami, I think.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:19 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
Quote:
As I mentioned there used to be a string band of ex-Philadelphians in Miami, I think.
Bradenton

Suncoast Mummers String Band of Bradenton, Florida.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:40 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
There have been Mexicans in it for at least two years. There are always black musicians who play with the comics. Overt black face stuff was banished decades ago. Drag queens have been part of it for years too. So whoever those snowflakes are haven't seen it for oh, about 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
someone considers it racist??

I'm black and seen it on tv a time or two but I never found it offensive. I know they had a big boohaha when supposedly one group did a skit about whats his name Jenner after he turned into a she.

LOL, I wonder if I'll lose my "black" card if I go.... that's a joke folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I love the Mummers, and I guarantee that I'll be out there on S. Broad on New Year's Day (even if I have a hangover from the night before )! This parade will be special for me, as it will be the first one where I can legally drink! I turned 21 last year, but couldn't attend due to work.

I honestly believe that one has to be from Philly to understand and fully appreciate what the Mummers do. It's unlike anything else in the nation!
Never thought I'd get a chance to toss an Ernest Owens stink bomb into a room, but here's your snowflake:

Want to Solve the Mummers' Diversity Problem? Just Call It "The White Heritage Parade" | News & Opinion | Philadelphia Magazine

Maybe to underscore your point, PhilliesPhan2013: Owens grew up in Houston. But then again, I'm a native Kansas Citian, and I seem to have been able to wrap my brain around all this. Go figure.

As for the drag queens leading off the parade now: The Mummers have also been tagged as homophobic over the years. (After an incident in which a drunken wench dropped the f-bomb on me as I was walking down Locust Street one New Year's Day, I've told people, "You haven't lived until you've been called a 'f**king f**got' by a man in a dress.") The incident with the Caitlyn Jenner comic parody brought that issue back up. Brittany Lynn's Drag Mafia is insurance.

Generally speaking, it's the comics who draw the most penalty flags from Mummers critics. Which makes sense, since they're the division (a) that presents skits that often touch on current events or sensitive issues (I loved the club that gave Gov. Chris Christie a good roughing-up in their skit this year) (b) whose members have a reputation for coming to the parade already marinated, especially those wenches.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Never thought I'd get a chance to toss an Ernest Owens stink bomb into a room, but here's your snowflake:

Want to Solve the Mummers' Diversity Problem? Just Call It "The White Heritage Parade" | News & Opinion | Philadelphia Magazine

Maybe to underscore your point, PhilliesPhan2013: Owens grew up in Houston. But then again, I'm a native Kansas Citian, and I seem to have been able to wrap my brain around all this. Go figure.

As for the drag queens leading off the parade now: The Mummers have also been tagged as homophobic over the years. (After an incident in which a drunken wench dropped the f-bomb on me as I was walking down Locust Street one New Year's Day, I've told people, "You haven't lived until you've been called a 'f**king f**got' by a man in a dress.") The incident with the Caitlyn Jenner comic parody brought that issue back up. Brittany Lynn's Drag Mafia is insurance.

Generally speaking, it's the comics who draw the most penalty flags from Mummers critics. Which makes sense, since they're the division (a) that presents skits that often touch on current events or sensitive issues (I loved the club that gave Gov. Chris Christie a good roughing-up in their skit this year) (b) whose members have a reputation for coming to the parade already marinated, especially those wenches.
So why did you throw an Owens stink bomb here? Lol. It's easy to ignore the mummers and he chose not to.

There's also another unfortunate article in your rag too about how the parade should not be held on New Years Day. Lol.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:56 AM

333 posts, read 282,281 times
Quote:
There's also another unfortunate article in your rag too about how the parade should not be held on New Years Day. Lol.
Unfortunate? Did you actually read it? I thought the article made a lot of good points. And I say this as a current string band-er, so I have more skin in the game than most. Tradition is all well and good, but if there might be a better way to do something, why not consider it?

Old 01-05-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
Unfortunate? Did you actually read it? I thought the article made a lot of good points. And I say this as a current string band-er, so I have more skin in the game than most. Tradition is all well and good, but if there might be a better way to do something, why not consider it?
Yes, I read it. Could you actually see the majority of mummers agreeing with it though?

Not a good comparison, I realize, but moving the parade to Market St for a little while didn't work out.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:12 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
I don't like the new routes the Mummers have been taking either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia