Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 08:58 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know how those who commute and travel solely on public transport are fairing in this weather.

What are your experiences in this kind of weather? What happens when it snows? Do people switch to driving? And what if one does not have a car? Uber?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 09:27 AM

744 posts, read 775,614 times
I have a car now but I find myself using my car less in cold weather. I hate driving on icy roads and the entire region is horrible at managing snow/ice. I find the sidewalks to often be more clear than the roads. Day to day I walk 45 seconds to the train into center city. I don't need to even go above ground to get to my office as I just walk through the concourse.

I lived without a car for six years in South Philly and didn't find the cold weather days to be particularly troubling. I just dressed appropriately. I lived a few blocks from the subway and rarely had to be outside for an extended period of time. I did have access to a carshare service but I don't recall ever using it because I wanted to avoid cold weather.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:28 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I'm curious to know how those who commute and travel solely on public transport are fairing in this weather.

What are your experiences in this kind of weather? What happens when it snows? Do people switch to driving? And what if one does not have a car? Uber?

Just curious.

Fairing fine as usual. The weather hasn't changed anything for me. Shrug... Why would it? You layer clothing....

Actually some " snow birds " ride more transit in winter because if they don't know how to drive in snow or are uncomfortable doing it, they end up on transit.

Those of us who don't have cars are still probably fine without them no matter the weather.

We've had cold winters before. In fact it used to be normal to have a stretch of a couple of weeks of highs about 20F in January.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:01 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Its called layers. You learn to master how to dress in the winter time, so that the weather does not effect you. I personally walk most places and the weather does not change that ability one bit.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:12 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Layers. I do have the benefit of living one block from the subway with the ability to get to my office underground from Suburban Station. That makes everything much easier. But, I still walk to stores, restaurants, etc. when it's cold.

I particularly love not relying on a car when it snows (like it's supposed to tomorrow). The BSL runs under traffic-choked streets so my commute is wonderful. And it's much less stressful that driving IMO.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:17 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
The only thing that stinks about layers is if you love to eat too much, then you have to try to fit something under your pants, have stretchable enough pants, or buy bigger pants lol.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:21 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
I spent Christmas, and New Years in South Philly (10th, and Tasker). Both times it took me over a half an hour to find a parking place. There are no pay lots around there either, at least none that I know. I would have gladly paid to park. I can't imagine having a car there, and having to find a parking space every day. If I ever lived in the city again (highly unlikely) I would get rid of my cars.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:24 AM

1,697 posts, read 972,355 times
I come from Cleveland and Rochester NY - also known as the snow belt.

I can't explain to all youse how great it is to be able to live somewhere that doesn't require a car. Not only is it sucky to drive in, but digging out after every snow fall is the worst. Ironically, After stints in Clev, Roch and the Catskills, I've never had a garage. Sub zero, gusting Bomb Cyclones aside (when did we get all these crazy names for cold and snowy?), walking through the snow to a restaurant or pub - with a fireplace, thank you - and watching the snow come down over a few drinks is one of our favorite things to do.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I spent Christmas, and New Years in South Philly (10th, and Tasker). Both times it took me over a half an hour to find a parking place. There are no pay lots around there either, at least none that I know. I would have gladly paid to park. I can't imagine having a car there, and having to find a parking space every day. If I ever lived in the city again (highly unlikely) I would get rid of my cars.
Yup. It is difficult if you park in the evenings frequently AND don't have a parking permit AND have more than one car. Despite the difficulty, we still have families with four vehicles...South Philly is so compact with so much transit, I don't really understand why people choose to drive so much.

The killer is if you have to car commute to work. That's why I bought near the subway and will only consider work in Center City (as long as I have that luxury).

Old 01-03-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I come from Cleveland and Rochester NY - also known as the snow belt.

I can't explain to all youse how great it is to be able to live somewhere that doesn't require a car. Not only is it sucky to drive in, but digging out after every snow fall is the worst. Ironically, After stints in Clev, Roch and the Catskills, I've never had a garage. Sub zero, gusting Bomb Cyclones aside (when did we get all these crazy names for cold and snowy?), walking through the snow to a restaurant or pub - with a fireplace, thank you - and watching the snow come down over a few drinks is one of our favorite things to do.
Amen. I grew up in Rochester and feel the same. Driving in the snow is the worst. Even with a garage, you have to plow or snowblow the driveway. And the snow drifts, frozen bridges, wind, salt spray on windshield, rust on the car, etc. No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: