Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:56 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times

Advertisements

PHL10 is right. And, I would be very very careful about rehabs. If it's a reputable company, that's good, but do your due diligence. For example, inspectors and other contractors may charge you more in a review of your home due to the potential for hidden problems.

Regarding the area; I live three blocks from Broad and Morris. The east side is better as you know. The west side is not all that bad, but it is a bit different. Being close to Tasker/Morris station is of value, so that's a good bet. I did the same and the convenience alone will pay you back over and over.

In the end, it all depends on what you're comfortable with. If you have a lot of experience living in the city and know how to be street smart and don't mind some annoyances, it will be fine. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 08:19 AM

333 posts, read 282,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
As an example, look at this house that just can’t finds a buyer because at some point, they tore out every ounce of charm and old world workmanship and now it looks like a generic doctor’s office.

1901 Delancey Place Philadelphia - Rittenhouse Square Properties for Sale
Wow, that is terrible.

As to the original post, I live a few blocks away closer to Tasker. It's a fine and growing area. Still a bit scruffy, but it's very much catching fire. If you have a chance to acquire a good property at a reasonable price, do it now.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:21 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,073 times
I also agree with PHL10, especially if it's the house right on Broad Street (not going to link to it per forum rules). That house was built in 1915 and is gorgeous! Yes, it needs work, but the hardwood, the curved stairs, the South Philly vestibule...don't lose that charm!!!

Old 01-09-2018, 10:00 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
There are literally tons of houses in W. Philly, in parts you all are mostly scared to go to, that have amazing workmanship inside. Wainscoting in vestibules, tile work, original molding, built in kitchen cabinets, real cast iron clawfoot tubs....not the junk they sell nowadays.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I also agree with PHL10, especially if it's the house right on Broad Street (not going to link to it per forum rules). That house was built in 1915 and is gorgeous! Yes, it needs work, but the hardwood, the curved stairs, the South Philly vestibule...don't lose that charm!!!
The OP said Rosewood St which is a short block west of Broad.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:13 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There are literally tons of houses in W. Philly, in parts you all are mostly scared to go to, that have amazing workmanship inside. Wainscoting in vestibules, tile work, original molding, built in kitchen cabinets, real cast iron clawfoot tubs....not the junk they sell nowadays.
Are you saying W. Philly is safe? I had to go through W. Philly everyday, years ago, getting to Penn for grad school. While I never experienced any crime there, other than my car getting broken into a few times, it was an area I was always told to transit quickly. I believe you said previously, some areas of W. Philly were getting gentrified. S. Philly real estate prices are getting ridiculous. My Aunt's row home is now worth nearly $500k!

Those old homes in W. Philly, and other areas of the city are beautiful.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Are you saying W. Philly is safe? I had to go through W. Philly everyday, years ago, getting to Penn for grad school. While I never experienced any crime there, other than my car getting broken into a few times, it was an area I was always told to transit quickly. I believe you said previously, some areas of W. Philly were getting gentrified. S. Philly real estate prices are getting ridiculous. My Aunt's row home is now worth nearly $500k!

It's mostly safe for me and others kinda like me. As I've said... oh.... 100 times or something on here... Parts of my family has lived (I mean this....no exaggeration) continuously in W. Phila. for a century. My sister, one cousin, and the oldest member of my family (my 99 year old aunt) live there. None of these people have been crime victims that I'm aware of.

There is some gentrification that might spill over 52nd around Pine because the demographics are changing nearby. I can seriously see that happening because of its proximity to the Cedar Park neighborhood.

The W. Philly homes I was talking about, though, are those west of University City in Cobbs Creek, and parts of Carroll Park and Haddington. In Overbrook, Wynnefield and especially Overbrook Farms there are incredible houses too. Some of those are mansion-like. But built so much better than Toll Bros. suburban McMansions.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:57 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

My eyes are rolling to the back of my skull reading your paranoia again. A lot of West Philly is sorta run down but not as dangerous as people like you tend to believe. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I was a white guy who worked in Belmont in West Philly for a year. That part is a certifiable ghetto. I took the 10 trolley to and from work every day, and waited at the stop both day and night. Nothing ever happened to me. I was not harassed, robbed, attacked, or anything. I simply minded my own business as an obvious outsider.

Get outside your little bubble and experience the world a little more. Even the parts that aren’t polished gold have a lot to offer. 😏

Old 01-09-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
My eyes are rolling to the back of my skull reading your paranoia again. A lot of West Philly is sorta run down but not as dangerous as people like you tend to believe. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I was a white guy who worked in Belmont in West Philly for a year. That part is a certifiable ghetto. I took the 10 trolley to and from work every day, and waited at the stop both day and night. Nothing ever happened to me. I was not harassed, robbed, attacked, or anything. I simply minded my own business as an obvious outsider.

Get outside your little bubble and experience the world a little more. Even the parts that aren’t polished gold have a lot to offer. 😏
Well, I don't want to get too far away from the thread topic. But, sadly, it's typical conservative boiler plate about poorer areas that they tend to believe is absolutely overrun with black savages who can't wait to attack them. The truth is closer to exactly what you are saying above.

In Belmont or Parkside there are outrageous houses wrt to their interiors. A friend of mine, who lived on Poplar St, south of 40th and Girard, had one of them. The first time I went in her house I thought my eyes would jump out of my skull.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:30 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,097 times
Real cast iron clawfoot tubs should come with an out house.

I'm all for for modern showers just like I prefer a modern car to horse buggy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia