U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:07 AM

172 posts, read 162,393 times

Advertisements

Sales rep 19012 Cheltenham PA commuting to State of Delaware and Eastern Maryland?

I just got a job where I will be covering mainly the larger cities in Delaware and the eastern shore of Maryland to include salisbury.

My question is will the commute be better from 19012 North West of Philadelphia or the Maryland closer to South East DC 20746

Intetred in knowing traffic patterns from Philly to these areas tolls or ways to avoid tolls, and when I must start trying to get back to the Philadelphia area to beat rush hour traffic

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 11:25 AM

1,373 posts, read 829,728 times
Hmm. I cannot say either is desirable in terms of getting to DE or Eastern MD.

Your best bets would be to live in actual DE TBH.

19102 is challenging because access to 95 takes some time, and adds significant time to a commute south. If you were within the Southwest Suburbs of Philadelphia, it would be 100% more doable.

And then 20746 you have to deal with D.C traffic, which is notorious for being the worst in the nation, on par with Los Angeles. It could take you 2 hours just to get from 20746 to Annapolis, MD. Let alone Salisbury or DE.

Where do you live now? If I were you I would try to live in DE TBH.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:24 PM

I do not want to live in the eastern shore maryland the Dc area is just as far.

I hear my business may only be concentrated in certain areas like Newark or Wilmington which will be easy from Philly, eh?

Old 01-23-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurebeachguy View Post
I do not want to live in the eastern shore maryland the Dc area is just as far.

I hear my business may only be concentrated in certain areas like Newark or Wilmington which will be easy from Philly, eh?

I am curious where you live now? If I were you I would 100% live in Northern DE. It is a nice place to live.

Southeast PA is quite a large and very expansive area, with a stronger transit network than highway network. Therefore the specific area within the North suburbs you mentioned, are not accessible to any major highway network to get you to DE quickly. Therefore it will be quite a headache for you just to get to 95 S. The road you will need to commute on daily. Therefore I honestly cannot recommend either place and I am not sure why you are limited to only these 2 zipcodes?

Old 01-23-2018, 02:46 PM

rent in Philly is $500 per month where I have a house.

DC will be $800 to $1000 plus utilities.

I was thinking since my major accounts will be in delaware it would not be too much of a hassle.

Plus its a company car and they pay for gas....I will have to take the hit for the tolls if it gets crazy.

I can save major money if I do it from area code 19012 in PA.

I will just have to get up early thats all. Got me now?

Old 01-23-2018, 02:55 PM

I mean anything is doable. But it does not mean it is desirable. I will be honest that commute/travel will be LONG.

If you are only limited to 19012 or 20746, and alot of your work will be in Northern DE then I would recommend 19012.

BUT overall I would recommend moving to DE.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 01-23-2018 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-23-2018, 03:18 PM

I have a planet fitness membership and can get out early and into the field and hit a gym somewhere in my territory.

I can also choose my own hours, so if I get out early i can try and get back home when the traffic is light.

Thanks I wanted to rent a room, but most people are trying to get someone to pay off their mortgage or pay their rent - which I am not doing.

I may place and add and tell folks what I am seeking and see what hits my mail box.

But most people who are renting rooms may not be easy to live with to be honest.

Perfect situation is rent a room during the week only. If i commute I am sure I will find a local job within 6 months.

Last edited by Treasurebeachguy; 01-23-2018 at 04:01 PM..

Old 01-26-2018, 08:34 AM

1,679 posts, read 1,513,772 times
If you so determined to live in 19012, no one is going to stop you on here.
If you prefer PA so much more than DE or MD, you may want to consider Delco or southern Chester Co. if within your budget.
Southern Chester Co. has been gentrifying, so may be quite expensive. I don't know what your budget it or what you're looking for, so that could determine more specific areas to consider.

Considering these areas, you'd be reasonable enough to travel to Wilimington or Newark or so, but then could drive further out to the more remote DE areas and MD as well. These are still in PA, but closer to DE and MD than Cheltenham and even a bit closer than SW Philly.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:56 AM

7,955 posts, read 8,386,063 times
Sure, most of your business may be in/near Newark or Wilmington but you also said your territory includes the eastern shore of Maryland to include Salisbury.....which really isn't that close to Newark/Wilmington.

I have to echo the opinions of those trying to tell you to at least move to SEPA. But as was also said that's a vast area.
Northern Delaware would be best for your commute -- still not ideal, just way better than Cheltenham.
Short of having a family with kids in school, or sick parent or something like that I'd consider the opinions you've been given.
(Unless, of course you know this is a short-term/mid-term issue.)

Do you plan to just work the Wilmington/Newark part of your area, and just ignore the Eastern Shore Salisbury part? Even from No. Del. to the Eastern shore is not close, and would be a heck of a commute.

But, of course, go ahead, live in Cheltenham if you must. But please keep us posted.
I'd love to know how that commute works out for you.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:00 AM

23,520 posts, read 29,406,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurebeachguy View Post
rent in Philly is $500 per month where I have a house.

DC will be $800 to $1000 plus utilities.

I was thinking since my major accounts will be in delaware it would not be too much of a hassle.

Plus its a company car and they pay for gas....I will have to take the hit for the tolls if it gets crazy.

I can save major money if I do it from area code 19012 in PA.

I will just have to get up early thats all. Got me now?
Do you know anything about the taxes? If you live in Maryland, you will pay a state income tax & a county income tax. Delaware has no sales tax, for the most part.

If you want to avoid tolls in Delaware & Maryland, get familiar with Routes 13 & 301.

For the territory that you are supposed to cover, your choice of locations makes zero sense. Either look in Delaware, near Talleyville, or if you must stay in Pennsylvania, look near the state line. Forget Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or