Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 07:04 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Don't forget Christ Church if you're going to elfreths and Betsy Ross. Don't know much about church but I'm told that's the one all the Jefferson, Washington, and Franklin types used to go to.
Franklin, as you likely know, is buried in the Christ Church burial ground at 5th and Arch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 07:30 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
thanks Market,
I live so close to South and have yet to make it over there. Have you been? There is a cafe on Germantown avenue that I went to 2 or 3 times last summer that I swear had the best breakfast but I can't remember the name of it.

My next area to "discover" is chestnut hill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I haven't been to South yet.

I'll wager the breakfast place is B&B Breakfast and Lunch at Germantown and Armat. Damn good, damn cheap, damn stylish inside - a trifecta if you ask me.

Chestnut Hill's worth the trip.
I've been to South nearly a dozen times and prefer it over Chris's and Time. The jazz selection is really excellent. They have some great names and the cover charge is less than Chris's most of the time.

The food is much better than Chris's or Time's. It's about the same price-point as Chris's, maybe slightly cheaper, and just much better. There are some nice southern dishes that hold up to what I've had in the south.

The venue is very classy and unique. The main dining room is separate from where live jazz takes place, but you can still hear it a little. I've only ever eaten in the jazz room during a show there. The only thing South doesn't give is that dark, cave-like room that a traditional jazz joint like Chris's or Ortleib's provides. It's a bit more contemporary in its layout.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:48 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
That one, I think, flies under the radar: I'm not sure it's even listed on the Historic Germantown website. If it is, I must have overlooked it. Tell me more.
You are absolutely right. I found it by googling AA things to do in Philly. I still can not get over how much came up. It was on my list but I discovered it was in Germantown. I was on the fence and I did a Google search. It is a museum dedicated to celebrating ordinary black women. How awesome is that? People of all walks of life visit which is nice.

The museum is only open on Sundays from 1-5 to groups by appointment. I do not like that but what can I do? It is in the owner's home. I asked to tag along with a group. She said it is possible. I need to check back as the date approaches. I have to change things up a bit. I will have to leave home Sunday morning instead of Monday. If all goes well, I will be reviewing your post a little more closely and make a day of it in Germantown. We'll see.

I got the art bug when I visited Studio Museum in Harlem. Great pieces and it is free on Sunday. I can't wait until it opens again. They are building a new museum.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Don't forget Christ Church if you're going to elfreths and Betsy Ross. Don't know much about church but I'm told that's the one all the Jefferson, Washington, and Franklin types used to go to.
Thanks.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:53 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I've been to South nearly a dozen times and prefer it over Chris's and Time. The jazz selection is really excellent. They have some great names and the cover charge is less than Chris's most of the time.

The food is much better than Chris's or Time's. It's about the same price-point as Chris's, maybe slightly cheaper, and just much better. There are some nice southern dishes that hold up to what I've had in the south.

The venue is very classy and unique. The main dining room is separate from where live jazz takes place, but you can still hear it a little. I've only ever eaten in the jazz room during a show there. The only thing South doesn't give is that dark, cave-like room that a traditional jazz joint like Chris's or Ortleib's provides. It's a bit more contemporary in its layout.
The Bynum brothers are as good at running restaurants as they are at running jazz clubs.

In fact, all of the establishments they run are both. (Warmdaddy's is blues, granted, and their co-owner is in charge of the kitchen at Paris Bistro.)

But their food is nothing less than very good at all their restaurants as well. Yet we don't hear their names mentioned in the same breaths that we hear about Starr, or Garces, or Vetri.

Granted, the latter two are actual chefs, but Starr's not either. So why not the Bynums alongside them?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:36 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So we have what is called "Penns Landing" if you stay in Center City (which I definitely would) every thing except Germantown is walkable.

Down on Columbus Blvd (which is where Penn's landing is) there is a great Jazz/Soul music restaurant venue called Warm daddy's.

Not sure when you are coming but if it's soon and in the winter you could probably skip Penns landing. there is a ice skating rink but it's real beauty is in the spring summer when we have a lot of festivals, beer gardens is open, paddle boating and the hammocks are out.

I will say one of the great things about Center city is IMO there really is a lot to visit (and I'm originally from NYC).

Don't discard the historical attractions. I gotta tell you I'm black and I really wasn't into history when I was younger but I am impressed how this city really honors it's legacy. lol, seriously check out the Betsy Ross house. I went there and they had an historical actress portraying her. girlfriend was good.
Have you ever been to the site of the Battle of Redbank?

Old 02-14-2018, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
You are absolutely right. I found it by googling AA things to do in Philly. I still can not get over how much came up. It was on my list but I discovered it was in Germantown. I was on the fence and I did a Google search. It is a museum dedicated to celebrating ordinary black women. How awesome is that? People of all walks of life visit which is nice.
My Mom was a Jayhawk, not a Germantowner, but I think she belongs in a museum like that. Sounds fascinating. Let us know what you thought of it after you visit.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
My Mom was a Jayhawk, not a Germantowner, but I think she belongs in a museum like that. Sounds fascinating. Let us know what you thought of it after you visit.
What is a Jayhawk? Really? That is cool. I was thinking of starting something similar via Facebook. I currently do not have an account. I know. I guess to attract/meet people of like mind. My interests are so varied. I find it very difficult meeting people.

Yes, it does. I certainly will.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
What is a Jayhawk? Really? That is cool. I was thinking of starting something similar via Facebook. I currently do not have an account. I know. I guess to attract/meet people of like mind. My interests are so varied. I find it very difficult meeting people.

Yes, it does. I certainly will.
"Jayhawk": University of Kansas graduate specifically. Kansan more broadly. (Mom was both: born in Omaha, she was raised in the Northeast Kansas town of Horton and graduated from Horton High School in 1948. She went on to receive a BS in Nursing from the University of Kansas in 1954, then some years later, went back for an MSN at KU and got that in 1970. She was the first black woman to receive both degrees from the school.)

The term derives from the "Jayhawkers" - the militant Free Soilers in the days of "Bleeding Kansas" - the period after 1854 when the Kansas-Nebraska Act reopened the question of whether the territories would be slave or free. I refer to this period as "the dress rehearsal for the Civil War," for there was, as the term implies, much blood shed in the fight. The Jayhawkers would rob, steal, and beat up or drive out pro-slavery men who settled in Kansas or ride into Missouri and kidnap slaves in order to take them into free territory. (Apparently, in the 19th century, a "jayhawker" was someone who would rob or steal to achieve their ends.)

Old 02-15-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
"Jayhawk": University of Kansas graduate specifically. Kansan more broadly. (Mom was both: born in Omaha, she was raised in the Northeast Kansas town of Horton and graduated from Horton High School in 1948. She went on to receive a BS in Nursing from the University of Kansas in 1954, then some years later, went back for an MSN at KU and got that in 1970. She was the first black woman to receive both degrees from the school.)

The term derives from the "Jayhawkers" - the militant Free Soilers in the days of "Bleeding Kansas" - the period after 1854 when the Kansas-Nebraska Act reopened the question of whether the territories would be slave or free. I refer to this period as "the dress rehearsal for the Civil War," for there was, as the term implies, much blood shed in the fight. The Jayhawkers would rob, steal, and beat up or drive out pro-slavery men who settled in Kansas or ride into Missouri and kidnap slaves in order to take them into free territory. (Apparently, in the 19th century, a "jayhawker" was someone who would rob or steal to achieve their ends.)
Wow! I never heard of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia