Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 11:47 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
LOVED Mike! I didn't care what anyone said.
He feels like a sort of soulmate to me because we were born in the same year. We're two months apart!

And funnily we've had similar hairstyles throughout the years(the 70s! lol). And now his hair is white and so is mine!

Love him!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 12:39 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
LOVED Mike! I didn't care what anyone said.
Without question the best 3rd Basemen ever.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:42 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Around that time period I was playing Minor League ball in the Red Sox organization. Many of my teammates could never understand how the fans here could boo Mike Schmidt, and would say "I hope I never end up with the Phillies". Of course many never understood just how passionate our fans were and are.
As you know, Philly can be a tough town, especially if you don't fit the "mold" in which the fans hold a player. If you seem aloof, like Schmidt did on occasion, or say the wrong thing, or wear a wig in the dug out, you going to get some negatives (boos). It doesn't matter if you are one of the best, if not THEY best player in Phillies history.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:58 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
OT. Do you remember when the Athletics were in KC? You were just a child so you may not.
Yes, I do; they left KC for Oakland in 1967. I remember going to see them play at the old Municipal Stadium.

Their owner at the time, Charles O. Finley, was generally thought to be deliberately making the team bad in order to move it.

And the A's did get better once they moved to Oakland.

This made "Charley O" about the most hated man in Kansas City and Royals-A's games particularly delicious when the Royals beat them.

Which they did starting around their second season in Royals Stadium (now Kaufman Stadium).

Old 02-18-2018, 01:14 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
I was at the Vet when the Phillies won the 1980 World Series. I’ve never been in a stadium louder than the Vet in the ninth inning of that game. The whole zeitgeist of the city was so similar to the Eagles winning the Super Bowl. I’ll never forget Rose catching the pop foul after it bounced out of Boone’s glove for the second out in the ninth. A great and typical Rosian play. Hated that guy when he was with the Reds but the Phils probably don’t win in 1980 without him. The scene outside the stadium after the game was totally crazy as was Center City. The national media references to “rioting” after the Eagles win made me chuckle. That was a completely tame response compared to 1980. The parade was pretty insane as well.
Were you ever in the Vet when the fans started not only yelling and screaming before each pitch, but also stamping their feet in unison? That was a freaky place the way the stadium itself would boom and reverberate!

But I was not so much a fan of Rose. Like you, I was not a fan when he was in the Big Red machine, and when he come to the Phillies it seemed like "All Pete, all the time." I remember the bumper sticker they released after the trade... "For Pete's Sake..." It was as if all the work the Phils and Danny Ozark did from the beginning of the seventies to get better and better each year was all eclipsed by the "great Pete Rose" coming to town.

I felt that the Phillies were just one cog away from being ready to win it all and almost any trade could have done it, but Pete got the bulk of the credit.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate him, and once he was in the right red pinstripes, I cheered for him, I just felt his contribution was "overblown."

Old 02-18-2018, 01:35 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
As you know, Philly can be a tough town, especially if you don't fit the "mold" in which the fans hold a player. If you seem aloof, like Schmidt did on occasion, or say the wrong thing, or wear a wig in the dug out, you going to get some negatives (boos). It doesn't matter if you are one of the best, if not THEY best player in Phillies history.
I remember when "Benny the Bomb" did his act at the Vet, fans booed in jest, but that was just because his act was so stupid. On the other hand, Rocketman was always in for a long sustained cheer.

Phillies fans understood when something was bad or badly done and they let you know about it. I don't think that meant they hated you, just that they knew you could do better. I think that even if a boo escaped the fans collective lips, players like Schmidt had no doubt that the fans were still behind him - at least that's how it was in my mind.

"You're trying your damndest, you strike out and they boo you. I act like it doesn't bother me, like I don't hear anything the fans say, but the truth is I hear every word of it and it kills me." -- Unknown date
----
"They read their sports pages, know their statistics and either root like hell or boo our butts off. I love it. Give me vocal fans, pro or con, over the tourist types who show up in Houston or Montreal and just sit there." Source: Los Angeles Times (March 31, 1975)
-----
I want to tell you straight from the heart, how I feel about you and your influence on this game. As athletes, we're disciplined, we're focused, we're even tough. But I know of no athlete who is immune to fan reaction, positive or negative. Yes, you fans affect the game in a 'big' way. Calling Philadelphia fans spectators hardly describes your impact. You help mold the spirit of a team. Your positive feedback is crucial in the Phillies' right to stay on top. You know, I'm often asked what I miss most about the game. It's tough to sort out all the wonderful memories and come up with a definite answer. But I can tell you this; I'll always miss the goose bumps I got when you cheered me. I've collected eighteen years of those goose bumps, from my first hit back in 1972 to the welcome you gave me tonight. To right now. That feeling can never be recreated, but that feeling will always be remembered. (May 26, 1990)

Mike Schmidt

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 02-18-2018 at 01:46 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 03:01 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,138,384 times
Schmidt was very inconsistent in the 70's and even hit below .200 early in his career. Sometimes he deserved the boos. Luzinski minus 1 season was statistically better than Schmidt.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:17 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
I watched it on TV, my son was a baby. I lived in a high-rise apartment in the suburbs of Philly....someone in the other building came out on his balcony and started banging pots, but that was it. It was late and there was no ruckus. That's one of the reasons I was determined to be at that Eagles parade. I did NOT want to be watching it on TV, I wanted to be right in the middle of it. And I was!

P.S. When I was working and had frequent-flyer miles, I was in first-class one time from PHL to West Palm. Mike Schmidt was right in front of me on an aisle seat, and an older gentleman bent his ear the whole flight. They were talking about golf but then I did hear some baseball talk. I thought maybe Mike would be annoyed, but no, he indulged the guy the whole time...I thought that was sweet.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:35 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Schmidt was very inconsistent in the 70's and even hit below .200 early in his career. Sometimes he deserved the boos. Luzinski minus 1 season was statistically better than Schmidt.
The rare negatives that Schmidt had with a bat were more then made up for with his glove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia