Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 02:12 PM

41 posts, read 53,381 times

Advertisements

Just curious, even though the Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl last Sunday against Tom Brady and the New England Patriots, but since I'm not really a National Football League NFL Football fan (I'm a Major League Baseball MLB Baseball fan), and since 1980 is one of my other favorite years, what memories do you have from the 1980 World Series when the Philadelphia Phillies won the 1980 World Series against the Kansas City Royals, with manager Dallas Green, and players like Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Tug McGraw, Lonnie Smith, Pete Rose, Larry Bowa, Bob Boone, Gary Maddox, Manny Trillo, and Bake McBride?
Thanks!
Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 03:42 PM

712 posts, read 701,036 times
I was at the Vet when the Phillies won the 1980 World Series. I’ve never been in a stadium louder than the Vet in the ninth inning of that game. The whole zeitgeist of the city was so similar to the Eagles winning the Super Bowl. I’ll never forget Rose catching the pop foul after it bounced out of Boone’s glove for the second out in the ninth. A great and typical Rosian play. Hated that guy when he was with the Reds but the Phils probably don’t win in 1980 without him. The scene outside the stadium after the game was totally crazy as was Center City. The national media references to “rioting” after the Eagles win made me chuckle. That was a completely tame response compared to 1980. The parade was pretty insane as well.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:17 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
I was in 3rd grade. I remember watching the game with my parents and also the teachers letting us watch the parade on television.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:30 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
I wasn't at the game, but I remember watching it. As a Philly sports fan from the mid/late 60's onwards, I saw a LOT of bad Phillies teams at Connie Mack, as well as the Vet. Year after year of losing. Then the nucleus of the 80 team formed in the mid 70's, and they began to improve. You're right, I hated Rose, but he put them over the edge.

The year Steve Carlton won 27 games, 1972, I remember being at a game where he loaded the bases, then struck out the side. I saw him do this several times. It almost seemed purposeful.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:03 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Here's a memory from the other side.

In 1980, I was still living in Boston and still a loyal Royal. (I haven't shed my allegiance to my forever hometown team completely even now, though were the Royals and Phillies to meet in the Series again, I'd probably root for both teams - yes, I think that's possible.)

The Royals basically owned the American League West throughout my undergraduate years in college, and each fall, it would be the same story: They'd meet the Yankees for the league championship and get sent home.

So I was quite excited to see them in the 1980 Series. But as I'm not a rabid fan, I wasn't depressed or seriously upset when the Phillies beat them.

Nonetheless, some friends of one of my roommates who hailed from Philly decided they'd rub it in.

I was living in the western city neighborhood of Allston at the time, and I commuted via the T to my job at the Boston Children's Museum near South Station.

I came home from work one afternoon about a week or so after the Series was over, and when I got off the bus and started walking up my street, I noticed a huge banner had been spread out on the sidewalk in front of my apartment building.

It read "Congratulations Phillies - 1980 World Series Champions."

Seems my friends had done a very Philly thing: they'd swiped the banner that had hung over Broad Street for the victory parade and hauled it back to Boston to poke a figurative finger in my eye.

I had a good laugh anyway.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:11 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sross1800 View Post
Just curious, even though the Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl last Sunday against Tom Brady and the New England Patriots, but since I'm not really a National Football League NFL Football fan (I'm a Major League Baseball MLB Baseball fan), and since 1980 is one of my other favorite years, what memories do you have from the 1980 World Series when the Philadelphia Phillies won the 1980 World Series against the Kansas City Royals, with manager Dallas Green, and players like Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Tug McGraw, Lonnie Smith, Pete Rose, Larry Bowa, Bob Boone, Gary Maddox, Manny Trillo, and Bake McBride?
Thanks!
Sean
I was at one of those games with my late Father and sat right behind Mike Schmidt! Don't remember now if he played 1st or 3rd base. It was SOOOOO exciting, especially Tug McGraw with that cute little hand-to-his-heart thing he used to do, bless his soul.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:00 PM

5,423 posts, read 3,482,156 times
I remember that series! I saved the Philadelphia Inquirer articles that were printed the next day!

Old 02-13-2018, 04:41 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Around that time period I was playing Minor League ball in the Red Sox organization. Many of my teammates could never understand how the fans here could boo Mike Schmidt, and would say "I hope I never end up with the Phillies". Of course many never understood just how passionate our fans were and are.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:50 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Here's a memory from the other side.

In 1980, I was still living in Boston and still a loyal Royal. (I haven't shed my allegiance to my forever hometown team completely even now, though were the Royals and Phillies to meet in the Series again, I'd probably root for both teams - yes, I think that's possible.)

The Royals basically owned the American League West throughout my undergraduate years in college, and each fall, it would be the same story: They'd meet the Yankees for the league championship and get sent home.
OT. Do you remember when the Athletics were in KC? You were just a child so you may not.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:14 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Around that time period I was playing Minor League ball in the Red Sox organization. Many of my teammates could never understand how the fans here could boo Mike Schmidt, and would say "I hope I never end up with the Phillies". Of course many never understood just how passionate our fans were and are.

LOVED Mike! I didn't care what anyone said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia