Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 01:13 PM

273 posts, read 318,066 times

Advertisements

Please—feel free to chime in, anyone, if you feel that this assessment is correct. I’m not an expert and can only offer what I know.

If I’m reading correctly, you want to leave Drexel Hill in search of a better school district and a larger home—but still under $300K. I think the inherent problem is that you’re already in an area where larger homes often sell for lower prices—specifically as a consequence of high property taxes and being located within a less-than-stellar school district (Upper Darby S.D.).

From my observations, moving to a better district would likely mean paying higher home prices relative to Drexel Hill. I don’t know what you’re in now and what would constitute an upgrade from that, but finding a reasonably nice 3-4 bedroom home in most of Delaware County’s better districts would be a challenge if not impossible. As chessimprov suggested above, you’d more likely find a townhouse, condo, or fixer-upper in that range.

I’ll borrow a phrase from a retired auto exec who once said that Detroit’s mantra for performance cars was “Good, Cheap, or Fast —Pick two.” With regard to Delaware County communities, I think you can definitely find a better schools, nicer (or larger) homes, or lower home prices. But you can only have two of those three at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 01:51 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times
It's the same for real estate; good location, good schools, cheap. Pick 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantroutman View Post

I’ll borrow a phrase from a retired auto exec who once said that Detroit’s mantra for performance cars was “Good, Cheap, or Fast —Pick two.” With regard to Delaware County communities, I think you can definitely find a better schools, nicer (or larger) homes, or lower home prices. But you can only have two of those three at a time.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:21 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
I have been under the impression that Upper Darby SD has a mix of socioeconomics and people. Several years ago, they had a nationally competitive cheerleading squad, which they still might have. Upper Darby has a lot of diversity, but there's definitely a lot of struggles among the varying cultures and socioeconomics too I think.

The worst school district in Delaware county is probably Chester-Upland. Maybe it's improved because so many students left for charter or cyber with all the changes and politics surrounding that district.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Brookhaven, Ridley, Norwood, or Woodlyn maybe. With that price, it's tough, especially if you want a home and not a condo/townhome. You are more likely to find a fixer upper at that price.
Thanks for the idea. I recentl had someone else recommend Ridley, so I might add that to the list. As far as price I could afford to go higher, but I just don't want to. Might be a mental block.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
OP you might want to look in Havertown.
Havertown is definitely on our list. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:38 PM

273 posts, read 318,066 times
Quote:
I have been under the impression that Upper Darby SD has a mix of socioeconomics and people. Several years ago, they had a nationally competitive cheerleading squad, which they still might have.
Yes, from what I’ve read, Upper Darby does have a diverse student body and is far from being a totally dysfunctional district. I think the issue is that the district’s performance lags many of its neighbors while school taxes are higher than many of them (about 36 mills in U.D. vs. 18 in Marple Newtown and 25 in Rose Tree Media, for example), so the perception is a poor value for money. Coupled with the high municipal property tax in Upper Darby Township (which includes Drexel Hill), the result is one of the highest property tax burdens in the county.

I realize that there’s more to school district performance than high school rankings, but just as a quick metric, I found this 2017 report from the Delco Daily Times. It places Upper Darby at 10/15—not the worst by any means, but still a good distance from the top. The list ranks as follows:

1. Radnor
2. Wallingford-Swarthmore
3. Rose Tree Media
4. Haverford
5. Garnet Valley
6. Marple Newtown
7. Ridley
8. Springfield
9. Penn-Delco
10. Upper Darby
11. Interboro
12. Southeast Delco
13. Chichester
14. William Penn
15. Chester-Upland

Old 03-01-2018, 08:57 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
I have been under the impression that Upper Darby SD has a mix of socioeconomics and people. Several years ago, they had a nationally competitive cheerleading squad, which they still might have. Upper Darby has a lot of diversity, but there's definitely a lot of struggles among the varying cultures and socioeconomics too I think.

The worst school district in Delaware county is probably Chester-Upland. Maybe it's improved because so many students left for charter or cyber with all the changes and politics surrounding that district.
It's still lousy.

As for my earlier suggestion, I think I need to learn how to read.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:14 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaker92 View Post
Thanks for the idea. I recentl had someone else recommend Ridley, so I might add that to the list. As far as price I could afford to go higher, but I just don't want to. Might be a mental block.
If you're going with Ridley, but with something cheap/reasonable, you can try to look for nice enough neighborhood that are closer to Chester or in Woodlyn. Just make sure they fall under Ridley school district. Ridley isn't bad as a school district at all. Not top-notch, but not bad at all.

Last edited by chessimprov; 03-05-2018 at 10:44 AM..

Old 03-05-2018, 10:30 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
OP you might want to look in Havertown.

I second this, and not just because I live in Havertown. I also used to live on the other side of Township Line Road (Upper Darby Township) so I am well aware of the tax situation there. It's really cost prohibitive.

With your budget, Havertown would get you a better school district than UD with still affordable houses. That said, houses under $300,000 in Havertown are usually (but not always) twins. However, there are some big twins out there; two examples I saw on Zillow are 1,500 and 1,700 sq respectively, each with 4 bedrooms, and both well under $300K.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:59 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
1,500 and 1,700 sq respectively, each with 4 bedrooms, and both well under $300K.
What's considered a big house is subjective of course. But 1,700 q ft isn't it -- not for me.
I was single in a 2,000 sq ft single family home -- with three good sized bedrooms and a sun room -- and didn't think that was a large home. Of course, it's all about layout as well.

As for under 300K -- move in ready.....I'd think that would be quite a challenge in at least the top 8 areas below -- except for maybe Ridley.
Quote:
1. Radnor
2. Wallingford-Swarthmore
3. Rose Tree Media
4. Haverford
5. Garnet Valley
6. Marple Newtown
7. Ridley
8. Springfield
9. Penn-Delco
10. Upper Darby
11. Interboro
12. Southeast Delco
13. Chichester
14. William Penn
15. Chester-Upland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia