Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 04:39 PM

273 posts, read 317,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRGUY View Post
I don't mean to be harsh, but isn't OP drastically underestimating the cost of a nice SFH in the suburbs? 350K I believe gets you a townhouse in most of the aforementioned areas.
That would be true in Media, where $300K might buy you a rowhouse or twin, and a modest three-bedroom detached house might be twice that price.

But in Springfield, you can buy a a typical postwar split level for about that price. (Like this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...4/9449830_zpid)

And while I think Media is nicer overall, if the OP’s husband wants a slice of suburbia, and the OP herself wants trolley access to the schools, local shopping, and the city—and with the budget she has—Springfield is probably a good choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 05:22 PM

151 posts, read 147,457 times
Perhaps you are right. Media is a great town no question. Never been to Springfield.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:03 PM

42 posts, read 46,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRGUY View Post
Perhaps you are right. Media is a great town no question. Never been to Springfield.
Media does look great from what I have seen online

Old 03-08-2018, 02:45 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
I grew up in Springfield, but a looooooong time ago. However, I did attend Springfield public schools, K - 12, and had a good experience. At the time, 1960's, and 70's the district was considered one of the better ones in the area. It sounds like it is still good though, just maybe not quite as good. I haven't been back in a long time either as my parents are both deceased, and all my other relatives moved out of the area. From what I know, what the others have said sounds accurate.

It is congested, and their is a lot of traffic. I prefer, an bit more quieter setting so I am out in the far, northwest suburbs in Chester County (not Chester City, lol). It sounds like Springfield is a good fit for you though. Good luck!

Old 03-08-2018, 03:37 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
This is two homes down from the house I grew up in. It's about 1/4 mile from the trolley. Elementary, Middle and high schools all within walking distance. LOVED my old home and should have kept it when I had the opportunity. Across the street and two doors up is my best friend who was the smart one and kept her parents' home: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...zm/0_mmm/1_rs/

Old 03-08-2018, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I grew up in Springfield, but a looooooong time ago. However, I did attend Springfield public schools, K - 12, and had a good experience. At the time, 1960's, and 70's the district was considered one of the better ones in the area. It sounds like it is still good though, just maybe not quite as good. I haven't been back in a long time either as my parents are both deceased, and all my other relatives moved out of the area. From what I know, what the others have said sounds accurate.

It is congested, and their is a lot of traffic. I prefer, an bit more quieter setting so I am out in the far, northwest suburbs in Chester County (not Chester City, lol). It sounds like Springfield is a good fit for you though. Good luck!
Hello! Thank you for your reply! Is the congestion mainly along Baltimore Pike? Or all over the neighborhood? I look forward to checking out the area in the future

Old 03-08-2018, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
This is two homes down from the house I grew up in. It's about 1/4 mile from the trolley. Elementary, Middle and high schools all within walking distance. LOVED my old home and should have kept it when I had the opportunity. Across the street and two doors up is my best friend who was the smart one and kept her parents' home: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...zm/0_mmm/1_rs/
Hello! Thank you for your reply! The home is very lovely Nice location as well. Also, I am sure you have great memories at the home you grew up in.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:01 AM

273 posts, read 206,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Sure, if you say so. Lol. For example, LM has two high schools one of which is less than 10 years old. Haverford Twp Sr HS, by constrast, is nearly 60 years old. I would say that Haverford is okay but not as good as LM.. I went to Haverford Twp Schools as did a bunch my family members past and present. I'm not talking out of my a$$.
Oh, ok. I didn't realize the older the school building, the lesser the quality of education. And two is more than one. Thanks for that.

They have the same scores on Great Schools. Haverford scores a bit higher on the state's school performance report card. You're assuming because Lower Merion is the wealthier school district that it's better. It's not. They're pretty much the same.

My kid is in the SDHT, we have firsthand experience. My wife coaches teachers and gives professional development to teachers and school districts across the country. She would be rolling her eyes at you right now.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:11 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashma View Post
Hello! Thank you for your reply! Is the congestion mainly along Baltimore Pike? Or all over the neighborhood? I look forward to checking out the area in the future
The neighborhoods, and smaller roads are fine if it has stayed relatively the same as when I lived there. Yes, Baltimore Pike, and some of the other main roads are the problems. There is a Trolley Stop on Saxer Ave which is right near the high school if that means anything. I hear they are building a new high school, but I forget the timing. There are some nice older neighborhoods around there also.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The neighborhoods, and smaller roads are fine if it has stayed relatively the same as when I lived there. Yes, Baltimore Pike, and some of the other main roads are the problems. There is a Trolley Stop on Saxer Ave which is right near the high school if that means anything. I hear they are building a new high school, but I forget the timing. There are some nice older neighborhoods around there also.
Thank you for the information It is definitely important to know which roads are often congested - - especially since my husband will be the one driving to work.

Also, yes, based on my quick research, I am familiar with Saxer Ave. Ah, a new high school. That's great Would be interesting to see how it all turns out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia