Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 08:05 AM

26 posts, read 28,596 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what the fees are so I have an idea going in. Also are there any discounts or negotiation tips on getting a good price at these high end gyms? I've seen some articles say they charge $175 and $500 initiation fee but also saw an old comment on another forum of someone getting under $100 so there seems to be a wide variation. Is the initiation fee for real or is it something that can be waived like most other gyms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 08:12 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
you can usually get the initiation fee waved

it is pricey and they have a price point that works for them

they do let you put the membership on hold some months which can be good when traveling or an off month

Old 03-19-2018, 08:38 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
The Sporting Club is actually pretty underwhelming for being a "high end" gym, and for the price they charge. If you compare it to an Equinox or LifeTime, it really doesn't measure up, yet they charge pretty much the same. I've never been a member, but been there a few times on guest passes,and it was nothing to write home about.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 AM

26 posts, read 28,596 times
Thanks. Do you remember the monthly prices from when you checked them out?

Old 03-19-2018, 10:48 AM

It was something like $120-150 a month I think, but that was several years ago.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
The sporting club at Bellevue is a JOKE.

I live 2 blocks from the place. For me something fancy is not necessary but they sent SO MANY mail flyers I decided to check it out.

I go. The staff is so dismissive, rude, and have no sense of hospitality.

They DIDNT EVEN GIVE ME A TOUR as a guest who expressed interest in signing up. How Lazy????

Literally the worst gym experience from staff I have ever seen in Philadelphia. Do not sign up. Wait for the new city fitness to open at East Market.

City Fitness. Charges half the rate. Better equipment. And the staff ACTUALLY CARES.

The best gym in the region is definitely going to be The Lifetime Fitness.

There is one in: KOP, Ardmore, Ft. Washington and Mt. Laurel.

I personally do not need all of that in a gym. But DO NOT GO TO the sporting club. The staff is more interested in talking gossip on their phones than educating potential new clients. It was the worst gym experience i have ever had in my life.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:01 AM

333 posts, read 282,281 times
I belonged to the Bellevue Sporting Club from 2012-2013. It was nice enough--good sized pool, tons of classes--but it probably isn't worth what you'll have to pay to belong. I paid $107 / mo., I believe, although that was several years ago at this point.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:50 AM

When the hell are we getting an Equinox? Those gyms are a fitness lover's dream. I've been to several of their Manhattan locations, and my god I could literally live there! We are basically the only major city that still doesn't have one yet, while all the others have multiple locations. One would think there is enough money in Center City and the surrounding area now to justify one.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:10 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
When the hell are we getting an Equinox? Those gyms are a fitness lover's dream. I've been to several of their Manhattan locations, and my god I could literally live there! We are basically the only major city that still doesn't have one yet, while all the others have multiple locations. One would think there is enough money in Center City and the surrounding area now to justify one.
It makes no sense to me. Even the wealthy suburbs of North Jersey and Connecticut have them. Equinox is also expanding into the Seattle Market. They skipped right over Philadelphia for their DC expansion, yet we get their discount brand of Blink Fitness...

I think its rather stupid on Equinox's part (whoever the parent company is) to ignore a metro area of over 6 million people. No reason for it.

Who knows what their reasoning is, but if Greenwich CT and downtown Chicago can have one then Radnor and Rittenhouse can have one.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Yea its odd we dont have a full line luxury gym in Center City.(The Bellevue is not one IMO; based on lack of service).

Although the new City Fitness at East Market will be quite nice when it opens and will definitely be Center City's premier gym.

Lifetime Fitness is comparable to equinox IMO. The King of Prussia location is the size of a fortress and the new Ardmore location is very large and quite pampered as well.

https://www.lifetime.life/life-time-...ate=2018-03-20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia