Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 11:12 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times

Advertisements

As many of you know, I'm a local who not only grew up in West Philly, but also currently lives in the Templetown/Cecil B. Moore neighborhood. Now that I'm preparing to graduate from Temple in May (hence why I haven't logged on this site for a while), I'm getting ready to start searching for a new apartment. After a promising interview (I made it to the third and final interview, which will be on Thursday), along with two others in the pipeline, I have a better idea of what my budget for a new place may be.

The following is a list of amenities that I'd prefer to see at a potential place and/or neighborhood (*=important):

Accessibility to SEPTA buses, trolleys, and/or subways*
An active, nearby commercial corridor*
A rooftop deck*
A neighborhood with a significant population of young professionals*
Close to Center City
Accessibility to the Regional Rail
Proximity to nature
Dense blocks full of rowhomes
Proximity to retail
A nice bar/beer garden

With that stated, my top three neighborhoods are Brewerytown, Fishtown, and Bella Vista.

There are also a few secondary neighborhoods I'd be willing to consider. These neighborhoods fall into that category due to their lacking of one or more of the amenities mentioned, and/or my potential inability to afford it. The secondary neighborhoods include: Francisville, Northern Liberties, Pennsport, all Center City neighborhoods, Manayunk, South Kensington, East Kensington, Templetown, Port Richmond, Point Breeze, Germantown, and West Philly neighborhoods south of Market.

The only two sections of the city that I will not consider are Northeast and Southwest Philly. Also, none of the North Central (roughly Lehigh to the Boulevard, Front to 33rd) neighborhoods really appeal to me.

Taking everything into consideration, would it be possible for me to find a 1BR/1BA unit with most/all desired amenities in any of my top three neighborhoods? I should be able to spend anywhere between $800-$1300 a month on rent, depending on what kind of compensation the offer will include.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post! I apologize in advance if I misspelled anything/made any grammatical mistakes, as I've been working on a project for a few hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 03:48 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
I assume the roof deck would be shared with your fellow tenants.

It will cost you.

Oddly enough, I think that your odds of finding one of those with a 1BR/1BA in your desired rent range are greatest in Francisville.

But they're going to be long no matter where you look.

Studio apartment is another matter entirely, if you can settle for one.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:05 AM

752 posts, read 459,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Oddly enough, I think that your odds of finding one of those with a 1BR/1BA in your desired rent range are greatest in Francisville.
Agree and I think Francisville is much less of a "work in progress" than Brewerytown.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:19 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
As many of you know, I'm a local who not only grew up in West Philly, but also currently lives in the Templetown/Cecil B. Moore neighborhood. Now that I'm preparing to graduate from Temple in May (hence why I haven't logged on this site for a while), I'm getting ready to start searching for a new apartment. After a promising interview (I made it to the third and final interview, which will be on Thursday), along with two others in the pipeline, I have a better idea of what my budget for a new place may be.

The following is a list of amenities that I'd prefer to see at a potential place and/or neighborhood (*=important):

Accessibility to SEPTA buses, trolleys, and/or subways*
An active, nearby commercial corridor*
A rooftop deck*
A neighborhood with a significant population of young professionals*
Close to Center City
Accessibility to the Regional Rail
Proximity to nature
Dense blocks full of rowhomes
Proximity to retail
A nice bar/beer garden

With that stated, my top three neighborhoods are Brewerytown, Fishtown, and Bella Vista.

There are also a few secondary neighborhoods I'd be willing to consider. These neighborhoods fall into that category due to their lacking of one or more of the amenities mentioned, and/or my potential inability to afford it. The secondary neighborhoods include: Francisville, Northern Liberties, Pennsport, all Center City neighborhoods, Manayunk, South Kensington, East Kensington, Templetown, Port Richmond, Point Breeze, Germantown, and West Philly neighborhoods south of Market.

The only two sections of the city that I will not consider are Northeast and Southwest Philly. Also, none of the North Central (roughly Lehigh to the Boulevard, Front to 33rd) neighborhoods really appeal to me.

Taking everything into consideration, would it be possible for me to find a 1BR/1BA unit with most/all desired amenities in any of my top three neighborhoods? I should be able to spend anywhere between $800-$1300 a month on rent, depending on what kind of compensation the offer will include.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post! I apologize in advance if I misspelled anything/made any grammatical mistakes, as I've been working on a project for a few hours.
Surprised you haven't checked that good 1 bedrooms in many of those places are $1200-$1500. Unless you can handle a roommate or can do a studio that is.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:25 AM

OP, the biggest advice I can give you, since you are just starting out is to start saving for your retirement NOW. Do not put it off. And do not touch that money if you can! Also start saving for a down payment for your first home. Get off of the rental treadmill.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I assume the roof deck would be shared with your fellow tenants.

It will cost you.

But they're going to be long no matter where you look.

Studio apartment is another matter entirely, if you can settle for one.
Re: Francisville. Probably closer to Girard Ave but probably not near Fairmount Ave.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:29 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,420 times
As I always do, I'll throw a shout-out to Old City.

Checks off all of your list

Old 03-20-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Agree and I think Francisville is much less of a "work in progress" than Brewerytown.
It (Francisville)absolutely is. No question about it.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:08 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
As I always do, I'll throw a shout-out to Old City.

Checks off all of your list
But beyond his pay grade for a 1BR.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 AM

288 posts, read 244,815 times
Looking at Zillow in Fishtown, this listing stood out:

Link removed by moderator. Single real estate listings are not allowed.

It is new construction and has a shared roof deck and laundry in-unit (wish I had that when I rented!). You have Riverwards Produce like a block away, Berks station a short walk away (via a paved pathway that cuts through the school and fields that a lot of people use during commute rush hours), Evil Genius/Loco Pez/Cedar Point/etc., Palmer Park and Palmer doggie depot for people and dog watching, and Penn Treaty park is not too far of a walk, especially on a nice day. The one thing lacking the most is access to regional rail. But, it's a quick subway ride to Suburban as you already probably know. I'd strongly consider this place!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-31-2018 at 12:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia