Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 05:57 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
I don't know if I was "wrong". I was skeptical in the beginning and said he's going to have to learn fast about how to manage certain things (cough bullpen cough), but in general, he has, so I give him credit for that. Last night was disappointing (although I went to bed after the 9th), but he left Arrieta in for 8 and Dominguez is supposed to be the closer, so I don't have a problem with anything he did there.

They haven't started to draw people in yet, but it will happen if they are still in first going into September. I think people still have that Super Bowl afterglow around the town.
If the Eagles don't see some light about their quarter back situation will they repeat it? Dunno but doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 07:21 AM

1,387 posts, read 912,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
If the Eagles don't see some light about their quarter back situation will they repeat it? Dunno but doubt.
A little OT for this thread, but I don't think there is any issue with the Eagles QB situation. Wentz is the starter as soon as he's healthy and they're being careful with him medically. Foles is a really good #2 and Sudfeld looks like a legit backup as well. The Eagles have possibly the best top-to-bottom QB situation in the league. With that said, it's still a longshot for them to repeat just because of how incredibly difficult it is to repeat in the NFL.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:44 AM

1,387 posts, read 912,529 times
Statement game from Nola last night. Hopefully, that gets the ship righted. The Braves are underwhelming, so the Phils still have a good chance to catch them, but they need to play better than they have been.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:32 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Nola really is the only star on that team, and maybe Hoskins. I am not very optimistic about this season. The manager sounds like a self help book on steroids. I don't know if his style can be a lasting motivator in this league.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Nola really is the only star on that team, and maybe Hoskins. I am not very optimistic about this season. The manager sounds like a self help book on steroids. I don't know if his style can be a lasting motivator in this league.
Given Kapler's body builder-type physique, your "steroids" comment might not be wrong.

Until he came along they certainly weren't being motivated by Sandberg or Machanin.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:18 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Given Kapler's body builder-type physique, your "steroids" comment might not be wrong.

Until he came along they certainly weren't being motivated by Sandberg or Machanin.
Kapler's a fitness nut. Many have described him as the "fittest guy" to ever play MLB.
As far as the job he has done. The Phils are 27th in team BA, middle of the pack in HR's and ERA. Also they are the youngest team in Baseball. Still being 10 games over 500, he needs to be shown some love.
The Phillies being one of the worst teams in Baseball last year have already exceeded their expectations, assuming they do not go into a complete free fall between now and the end of September.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:53 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Kapler's a fitness nut. Many have described him as the "fittest guy" to ever play MLB.
As far as the job he has done. The Phils are 27th in team BA, middle of the pack in HR's and ERA. Also they are the youngest team in Baseball. Still being 10 games over 500, he needs to be shown some love.
The Phillies being one of the worst teams in Baseball last year have already exceeded their expectations, assuming they do not go into a complete free fall between now and the end of September.
It looks like they are in full meltdown mode, or close to it. I do think they over achieved earlier in the season, but the chickens are now coming home to roost. They just aren't that talented. Yes, they are young. Again, Nola, and Hoskins are the real deal. The others? Meh.

The defensive mistakes, and other mistakes are largely mental, and to me that always points to coaching.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
It looks like they are in full meltdown mode, or close to it. I do think they over achieved earlier in the season, but the chickens are now coming home to roost. They just aren't that talented. Yes, they are young. Again, Nola, and Hoskins are the real deal. The others? Meh.

The defensive mistakes, and other mistakes are largely mental, and to me that always points to coaching.
"Experts" need to apply for coaching jobs!

Old 08-28-2018, 08:51 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:

One of the big problems with defense is, Hoskins was not meant to be an outfielder, but with Santana at 1st they are stuck with that. Kingery was not developed as a SS or 3rd basemen, luckily they were able to obtain Cabrerra for next to nothing and has been a vast improvement at SS. Youngsters make errors. Hererra not great in center. He could be moved to right, or traded and Quinn could be a defensive improvement.

The goal for this season was to show improvement, enough were they can attract some top free agents in the off season. They have the doe, and there will be some pretty good players out there looking for it. Not a big fan of Harper (personality wise) but if the Nats fail to tie him down, the Phils will be one of his top considerations. He would hit a ton at Citizens Bank.

Last edited by jazzy jeff; 08-28-2018 at 10:01 AM..

Old 08-28-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
One of the big problems with defense is, Hoskins was not meant to be an outfielder, but with Sanchez at 1st they are stuck with that. Kingery was not developed as a SS or 3rd basemen, luckily they were able to obtain Cabrerra for next to nothing and has been a vast improvement at SS. Youngsters make errors. Hererra not great in center. He could be moved to right, or traded and Quinn could be a defensive improvement.

The goal for this season was to show improvement, enough were they can attract some top free agents in the off season. They have the doe, and there will be some pretty good players out there looking for it. Not a big fan of Harper (personality wise) but if the Nats fail to tie him down, the Phils will be one of his top considerations. He would hit a ton at Citizens Bank.
What is going on with CP Crawford? Total loss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia