Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:09 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,527,288 times

Advertisements

Do you realize Jersey is a different state? If you move to Montana or Alaska you can lower your taxes even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
exactly what alternative facts did I come up with. Property taxes are pretty easy, every year I get a bill. lol when I lived in South Jersey my last bill was 13,500 dollars. are you saying that there was another version where this number was lower??

I just did my taxes this year, for my fairmont house my property taxes was 5789.00

when I lived in south Jersey my car insurance for the three cars I have on my bill was 4972.00 Now my car insurance is lower and it can have some thing to do with my insurance company does not even sell policies in NJ due to I heard silly regulation but my car insurance dropped 1300.00 lower

lol I can count.

now we left Philadelphia because of the lousy school system. no one here is saying that it's better but we ran out of south jersey because it was overall 20% higher than living in Philadelphia.

I love how people post and then get mad when people don't jump on their band wagon
let's see the rest of your rant.

libraries? I can walk to the free library on JFK blvd. truthfully I can't say if they are better or worst as since laptops I can honestly say I haven't been a library anywhere. so public libraries have no intrinsic value for my family. My son goes to Temple so he's got a top notch library.

trash services? I get recycle and trash every Monday. outside of snow they've been on time. I don't use trash cans so again, they pick up the garbage bags, throw them in the truck. same thing they did in Jersey. Is something special going on else where? they don't seem to be particularly loud or incompetent

so what exactly "valuable" thing am I not getting???? now evidently for the things you value the suburbs will be cheaper and if
idiot mayor screws up everyones property values I will have to reevaluate.

but from 2012 to 2018 including my city wage tax, I have saved on average 6 grand a year and I am close to retirement so I've tracked almost every single penny.

again, I can count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 10:11 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,427,591 times
Quote:
exactly what alternative facts did I come up with. Property taxes are pretty easy, every year I get a bill. lol when I lived in South Jersey my last bill was 13,500 dollars. are you saying that there was another version where this number was lower??

I just did my taxes this year, for my fairmont house my property taxes was 5789.00

when I lived in south Jersey my car insurance for the three cars I have on my bill was 4972.00 Now my car insurance is lower and it can have some thing to do with my insurance company does not even sell policies in NJ due to I heard silly regulation but my car insurance dropped 1300.00 lower

lol I can count.

now we left Philadelphia because of the lousy school system. no one here is saying that it's better but we ran out of south jersey because it was overall 20% higher than living in Philadelphia.

I love how people post and then get mad when people don't jump on their band wagon
let's see the rest of your rant.

libraries? I can walk to the free library on JFK blvd. truthfully I can't say if they are better or worst as since laptops I can honestly say I haven't been a library anywhere. so public libraries have no intrinsic value for my family. My son goes to Temple so he's got a top notch library.

trash services? I get recycle and trash every Monday. outside of snow they've been on time. I don't use trash cans so again, they pick up the garbage bags, throw them in the truck. same thing they did in Jersey. Is something special going on else where? they don't seem to be particularly loud or incompetent

so what exactly "valuable" thing am I not getting???? now evidently for the things you value the suburbs will be cheaper and if
idiot mayor screws up everyones property values I will have to reevaluate.

but from 2012 to 2018 including my city wage tax, I have saved on average 6 grand a year and I am close to retirement so I've tracked almost every single penny.

again, I can count.
Please don't tell me that you never deducted the City wage tax from your NJ income tax.

That's why the numbers didn't work for me. I always got the state tax back, minus a couple of bucks to cover bank interest. Plus, the non-resident rate is lower.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:50 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,538,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Do you realize Jersey is a different state? If you move to Montana or Alaska you can lower your taxes even further.
Yes, the op stated "suburbs" of Philadelphia. Do you realize that Cherry Hill, Marlton, Camden and most of South Jersey are all considered the suburbs??

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 04-10-2018 at 08:09 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 08:07 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,538,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Please don't tell me that you never deducted the City wage tax from your NJ income tax.

That's why the numbers didn't work for me. I always got the state tax back, minus a couple of bucks to cover bank interest. Plus, the non-resident rate is lower.
Oh definitely.

the problem with South Jersey simply is the property taxes are astronomical. I started my career in the South Philly refineries (Arco and sunococ). all my coworkers who worked there and lived in places like Cherry Hill, Gibbsboro, Haddonfield were simply forced to move back to Philly and quite frankly are loving it.

We all have pretty much the typical story, got a job, had kids, had to move because of the school situation but all were forced (forced being relative) to sell and move back. same story. property taxes 12, 15, 22K a year. can you image paying 2000 bucks a month on property taxes!! I know 3 and we are not talking big 5,000 square foot homes here.

Now of course living in a big city has it's issues, my point with londoner is that there were not "alternative" facts. I love how people throw that out when they don't agree with your point of view.

In my situation it's not rocket science. Now the "value" thing of course is very subjective. I don't have small children so I don't need a 1/2 acre yard or organized sports anymore. My food bill has not gone up or down. I do the same thing in Philly that I did in the suburbs, shop at Shoprite and acme, some times hit Reading terminal for bulk wings and things. I rarely buy soda but try to cut back on that long ago. LOL, I do love whole foods. man they have great fresh bread and cheese but I can't afford to shop for my family there.

My services, trash, snow removal. no issues with. traffic, yep pain in the backside. library. not something on my "value" radar but I love having the franklin Institute and the theater. I love the free stuff in the summer.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:31 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,827,966 times
My issue, more-or-less, is that the city is not being straight with residents about what the tax strategy is going forward. They are continuing to roll forward with increased taxes and a rumor that the wage tax will eventually go away. And I do agree with others that the city's services are lacking in many ways and the increased taxes are beginning to outweigh what you get.

Btw, I am not against paying more taxes to improve roads, schools, services, parks, etc. But I don't want to pay more taxes so that investment can land only in Center City and continue to wash into the Kenney/Clarke corruption machine. I would vote for more transparency, a plan for us all, and some visible investment in other neighborhoods. The trash thing is a key talking point by the OP. It's something standard that just can't seem to be done.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:14 AM

1,680 posts, read 944,465 times
There's a rumor that the Wage Tax is going away???!!!

They decrease that by like .0217 cents every year. I'll be 218 years old by then and hopefully retired.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:12 PM

802 posts, read 1,314,985 times
My house would still sell for the amount it was assessed for in 2018. I have not made any improvements. Also, the values on my block are so screwed up. There is no consistency whatsoever.

I am appealing much like I did after AVI took affect. Even if I do succeed in getting my assessment back to something more realistic, I will be moving out of Philadelphia. I'm tired of these constant tax increases, and residents are going to keep electing the same crappy people. It's exhausting doing battle with the OPA every few years.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:36 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,664,920 times
Quote:
Yes, the op stated "suburbs" of Philadelphia. Do you realize that Cherry Hill, Marlton, Camden and most of South Jersey are all considered the suburbs??
Camden, Burlington and Gloucester counties have been part of the Philly metro for decades as you know. But it's possible 1Londoner doesn't know that.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
My issue, more-or-less, is that the city is not being straight with residents about what the tax strategy is going forward. They are continuing to roll forward with increased taxes and a rumor that the wage tax will eventually go away. And I do agree with others that the city's services are lacking in many ways and the increased taxes are beginning to outweigh what you get.

Btw, I am not against paying more taxes to improve roads, schools, services, parks, etc. But I don't want to pay more taxes so that investment can land only in Center City and continue to wash into the Kenney/Clarke corruption machine. I would vote for more transparency, a plan for us all, and some visible investment in other neighborhoods. The trash thing is a key talking point by the OP. It's something standard that just can't seem to be done.
Who is saying the wage tax will " go away"?? Would like to know who might be suggesting thst.

Personally, I do not see how suburbanites are comfortable with volunteer fire departments wrt to services.

I am not trying to let Kenney or Clarke off the hook, but Street's middle name was "corruption" for example. I just looked it up. Between 2000 and 2015, 39 Philly politicians were investigated. Chaka Fattah anybody? How about Vince Fumo? And our wonderful ex DA Seth Williams? Is there evidence that Kenney or Clarke are being investigated?

Old 04-10-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
There's a rumor that the Wage Tax is going away???!!!

They decrease that by like .0217 cents every year. I'll be 218 years old by then and hopefully retired.
I would be very, very surprised if there is any truth to that rumor.

It was originally supposed to be temporary! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia