U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 08:26 PM

2,754 posts, read 2,277,702 times

Advertisements

We have been looking for several months, will be retiring and have family in the area. (Bala/Ardmore).

As I said we have looked at many different areas, and while we would like to be closer to family,
it seems that houses we would consider (and afford ...are very few and far between close to their areas.
So we have expanded our search and while we have seen one or two in Havertown and Bryn Mawr that could be possible we are expanding our search.
We have seen something in Newtown Square and something in Collegeville.
In each case, we are looking at townhomes with first floor master.
I am a little familiar with Newtown Square and know that it's a good area ; wonder what can you tell me about Collegeville?

The prices in Collegeville are quite attractive. What's the catch?
I
So what are would you say Collegeville is like?
thank you

Last edited by Mayvenne; 04-11-2018 at 09:27 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 10:05 PM

99 posts, read 63,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
We have been looking for several months, will be retiring and have family in the area. (Bala/Ardmore).

As I said we have looked at many different areas, and while we would like to be closer to family,
it seems that houses we would consider (and afford ...are very few and far between close to their areas.
So we have expanded our search and while we have seen one or two in Havertown and Bryn Mawr that could be possible we are expanding our search.
We have seen something in Newtown Square and something in Collegeville.
In each case, we are looking at townhomes with first floor master.
I am a little familiar with Newtown Square and know that it's a good area ; wonder what can you tell me about Collegeville?

The prices in Collegeville are quite attractive. What's the catch?
I
So what are would you say Collegeville is like?
thank you
I don’t think there’s a catch. It’s a nice area in a nice school district. It’s just a little far from the city and doesn’t have easy access to the city with public transit. I don’t think you can go wrong in Collegeville if you like the suburban lifestyle.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:01 AM

22,165 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Nice area, nothing wrong with it.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:48 AM

2,754 posts, read 2,277,702 times
appreciate the feedback. We are not familiar with the area and were wondering why the generally lower prices. in this case it seems commute or lack of to Philly explains it to a large degree.
Still doing our research and this seems maybe a tad too far but definitely considering.
thank you again for the comments- it's been quite helpful

Old 04-13-2018, 08:46 AM

517 posts, read 236,232 times
It's a difficult commute to Philly from there. Also, check the location wrt student housing for Ursinus. If you're retired, I doubt you want to live on a street full of college kids partying. When I lived in Ewing, NJ, there were parts of the township that you didn't want to live in because a lot of the places in that area were rented to TCNJ students who weren't always quiet during quiet time. I don't know any specifics about Ursinus or Collegeville, but it's something I would research before buying.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:16 AM

599 posts, read 423,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
appreciate the feedback. We are not familiar with the area and were wondering why the generally lower prices. in this case it seems commute or lack of to Philly explains it to a large degree.
Still doing our research and this seems maybe a tad too far but definitely considering.
thank you again for the comments- it's been quite helpful
I work in Collegeville, and, while a nice area, it is still quite rural. Collegeville and its neighboring Phoenixville, and Trappe were more or less farming stand-alone communities for most of the 20th century. Just recently did industry (mainly pharmaceutical companies) find the area and spark growth. As such, from my experience, there is a bit of "old timer viewpoint vs. new arrivals," but not in an overly-contentious manner. What I'm getting at is that it's not a traditional suburb feel IMO. It's more like rural expansion and you still have strong bones and undercurrents of true rural life. Additionally, and this is why the prices are lower, it is virtually uncommutable to Philadelphia except during very off-hours. Also, it's not really near anything. Beach, mountains, other cities.... it's a bit of an island out west. The only area it's kind of near is King of Prussia and a bit further to towns on the Main Line and Conshohocken.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:21 PM

288 posts, read 157,377 times
My wife works in Collegeville and we live in Philly (Fishtown). She leaves at 5:45am which is not too bad in the morning. But the evenings are horrendous. She has been doing it for 2 years now. This is not something she (and we) want to do long-term.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:09 AM

4,570 posts, read 6,165,876 times
I've lived all over the place up there -- Delaware County, Montgomery County and Chester County. I preferred the places that had easy access to the city. I'd say Berwyn was my favorite because it was on the Main Line plus convenient to all the major highways. Haven't lived in Collegeville but used to go through it every day on the way to work. Very nice place but definitely would not want to live that far from the city or have to depend on 422 as my major highway -- what a nightmare.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:02 AM

12,740 posts, read 28,682,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
I work in Collegeville, and, while a nice area, it is still quite rural. Collegeville and its neighboring Phoenixville, and Trappe were more or less farming stand-alone communities for most of the 20th century. Just recently did industry (mainly pharmaceutical companies) find the area and spark growth. As such, from my experience, there is a bit of "old timer viewpoint vs. new arrivals," but not in an overly-contentious manner. What I'm getting at is that it's not a traditional suburb feel IMO. It's more like rural expansion and you still have strong bones and undercurrents of true rural life. Additionally, and this is why the prices are lower, it is virtually uncommutable to Philadelphia except during very off-hours. Also, it's not really near anything. Beach, mountains, other cities.... it's a bit of an island out west. The only area it's kind of near is King of Prussia and a bit further to towns on the Main Line and Conshohocken.
In other words, its a small town.... I remember looking at Collegeville when my son visited Ursinus and thinking that Collegeville would be a nice town to live in. I agree that avoiding student areas would be a must but the pluses are that you could enjoy college performances and most likely some of the amenities. I live near a few small colleges and go with friends to plays and musicals and attend lectures on their campuses. Collegeville also has the Perkiomen walking trail that runs through it. I really don't see a downside to this area unless your purpose is to live near or have easy access to Philly.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-14-2018 at 07:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia