Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 08:28 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times

Advertisements

This hasn't come up yet, but why didn't the guys just order something to avoid this mess? A coffee is $2!

And I have seen posts about how these men were educated/ successful guys, you would think they know to just get a coffee or cookie while they wait. I have done that all the time when I use Starbucks bathrooms.

Again the fact that this story is top national news is saddening. There are so many actual problems in the world, like what is happening in Syria, yet people are focused on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 08:33 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
From what I read they were waiting for a friend to come before ordering. I doubt very much the police would have been called if myself and friends (white, middle aged women) were in that situation.
What you read then seems to have left out the alleged fact that one or both of these guys initially asked to use the restroom. To the manager, these became non-customers.

If they had simply gone in and sat down, most likely this situation would be a duplicate of you and your white middle aged friends.

The manager allegedly had been chased around the store recently after dealing with a ''sitter'' so why should she risk her life because she has to put with the Starbucks squatters.

What would you want your young adult son or daughter to do with some clientele in a Philly Starbucks. Confront some of these characters? Risking life and limb for working for a not great hourly rate and scraps from a tip jar? Living in Philly, there's no way I would want my kid/s working in a Philly Starbucks type store.

We'll see how this plays out on the race point regarding whether or not the manager made a reasonable decision; she wanted them out of that store, obviously.

These 2 commercial real estate agents stand to make lots of $$ from $tarbucks. The CEO of $tarbucks wants to meet these guys.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
No but
I wish they would kick all the non paying out
our Starbucks —-looks like a bum convention

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 04-16-2018 at 09:02 PM..

Old 04-16-2018, 08:43 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
The 2 black men weren't being loud or rude or causing a disturbance or threatening violence. All they were doing was waiting for a friend to show up. It just so happens the friend showed up while the police was there and they still took the 2 black guys to jail. The irony of it all, the friend they were waiting for was a white guy.

There have been many times thru out my 63 years when I've waited in a booth at a restaraunt for somebody to show up and never had anybody hassle me while I was waiting. I was once in a Starbucks where I witnessed a man waiting at a table for another man to show up for a job interview Nobody said anything to him when he was sitting alone waiting. Soon after the other person arrived, they got in line for their drinks. I think scenarios such as those happen all the time. It doesn't make good sense why the Starbucks manager would be so riled he would be compelled to call the police. And another point against the manager, there were plenty of empty tables in that restaraunt, so it's not like the presence of 2 black guys were costing Starbucks any money.

The manager wouldn't even allow him to go to the bathroom. The manager showed either his ignorance or his stupidity, when you consider this country's history with Jim Crow laws and white only restaraunts and bathrooms. When nearly everybody has a camera on their phone, the manager should have known the whole situation can potentially cause him and Starbucks to receive tons of unwanted nationwide negative media attention.

I bet right now the manager is sitting at home crying in his beer and wishing he had simply waited for the guys friend to show up because it would have been so much easier and less stressful.

No disrespect to Philadelphia, but if this sort of thing is going to happen, I'm glad it happened in a Northern city. If it had been in a large Southern city, such as Houston, Atlanta, Memphis or New Orleans, folks everywhere would chalk it up as a Southern thing, it's just how they do things down there in the South.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 04-16-2018 at 09:08 PM..

Old 04-16-2018, 10:15 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Did you have to ask to use the bathroom? Did you need a code to get in? According to the story he asked to use the bathroom which is odd.

You need a code for the RR at Wawa's on Broad/Walnut....There's usually lines for it, also people sit at the high counters charging their phones and lollygagging, not a big deal. When people start acting up then they''l tell them to leave.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:52 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
The 2 black men weren't being loud or rude or causing a disturbance or threatening violence. All they were doing was waiting for a friend to show up. It just so happens the friend showed up while the police was there and they still took the 2 black guys to jail. The irony of it all, the friend they were waiting for was a white guy.

There have been many times thru out my 63 years when I've waited in a booth at a restaraunt for somebody to show up and never had anybody hassle me while I was waiting. I was once in a Starbucks where I witnessed a man waiting at a table for another man to show up for a job interview Nobody said anything to him when he was sitting alone waiting. Soon after the other person arrived, they got in line for their drinks. I think scenarios such as those happen all the time. It doesn't make good sense why the Starbucks manager would be so riled he would be compelled to call the police. And another point against the manager, there were plenty of empty tables in that restaraunt, so it's not like the presence of 2 black guys were costing Starbucks any money.

The manager wouldn't even allow him to go to the bathroom. The manager showed either his ignorance or his stupidity, when you consider this country's history with Jim Crow laws and white only restaraunts and bathrooms. When nearly everybody has a camera on their phone, the manager should have known the whole situation can potentially cause him and Starbucks to receive tons of unwanted nationwide negative media attention.

I bet right now the manager is sitting at home crying in his beer and wishing he had simply waited for the guys friend to show up because it would have been so much easier and less stressful.

No disrespect to Philadelphia, but if this sort of thing is going to happen, I'm glad it happened in a Northern city. If it had been in a large Southern city, such as Houston, Atlanta, Memphis or New Orleans, folks everywhere would chalk it up as a Southern thing, it's just how they do things down there in the South.
Somehow from where you live, you magically transported yourself into this Starbucks location to witness the entire series of events that led to the image of 2 black Philly dudes being taken out of a business.

Yet, despite having transported yourself into this location during this incident, you still have it wrong. Umm, the restrooms are for customers (also known as people that spend money in a business, especially before using the business for its free offerings like using the restroom or wi-fi).

These gents shouldn't have asked to use the restroom before or after they sat down. They became non-customers since they weren't actual customers.

Why is it ''ironic'' that this alleged friend is white? Are white folks being present with black folks supposed to provide some kind of legitimacy to or for black folks?

Your post generally sets the canned narrative you have to see before the actual facts come out. Convictions and sentencing before fact finding. Thanks again President Obama (see also Baltimore City Prosecutor, one among many reckless government ''officials'').

Last edited by Kamms; 04-16-2018 at 11:04 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 01:18 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Somehow from where you live, you magically transported yourself into this Starbucks location to witness the entire series of events that led to the image of 2 black Philly dudes being taken out of a business.

Yet, despite having transported yourself into this location during this incident, you still have it wrong. Umm, the restrooms are for customers (also known as people that spend money in a business, especially before using the business for its free offerings like using the restroom or wi-fi).
I didn't have to magically transport myself anywhere. I seen the video of the incident. They weren't doing anything wrong or behaving in an inappropriate manner. I could see the empty chairs in the restaraunt. The manager blew the incident way out of proportion. It's his own fault. He sounds like a real drama queen.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:11 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
This hasn't come up yet, but why didn't the guys just order something to avoid this mess? A coffee is $2!

And I have seen posts about how these men were educated/ successful guys, you would think they know to just get a coffee or cookie while they wait. I have done that all the time when I use Starbucks bathrooms.

Again the fact that this story is top national news is saddening. There are so many actual problems in the world, like what is happening in Syria, yet people are focused on this.
I agree with this-there are much more important issues to worry about, especially the events and distortion of events in Syria.

With this video-if the gentlemen walked in and asked to use the bathroom without buying anything, and then sat down and refused to leave after being told no-it becomes more understandable why the Cops were called. It still doesn't make it right-but it becomes more "selective policy enforcement" than outright discrimination. I also wonder if the gentlemen ever made it known their intentions to eventually buy something or the fact they were meeting someone else.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:23 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

It went international.

Many Americans probably do not know where Syria is without looking it up and are unaware that it's a civil war that grew out of the Arab Spring uprising of 2011. But, I totally agree with you: people should be looking at atrocities around the world which are actually killing lots of innocent people.

Ernest Owens is, of course, mad as hell right now. I'm still waiting for him to explain why he didn't transfer to a HBC/U, like Howard, Moorehouse , Fisk, since Penn was such torture for him. Schools like that need him. But chances are he will never do anything for them. I have family members who went to Morgan State and Univ. of Maryland Eastern Shore(U
MES). They are great and proud institutions, which are majority black, where people get good educations.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:34 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
What you read then seems to have left out the alleged fact that one or both of these guys initially asked to use the restroom. To the manager, these became non-customers.

If they had simply gone in and sat down, most likely this situation would be a duplicate of you and your white middle aged friends.

The manager allegedly had been chased around the store recently after dealing with a ''sitter'' so why should she risk her life because she has to put with the Starbucks squatters.

What would you want your young adult son or daughter to do with some clientele in a Philly Starbucks. Confront some of these characters? Risking life and limb for working for a not great hourly rate and scraps from a tip jar? Living in Philly, there's no way I would want my kid/s working in a Philly Starbucks type store.

We'll see how this plays out on the race point regarding whether or not the manager made a reasonable decision; she wanted them out of that store, obviously.

These 2 commercial real estate agents stand to make lots of $$ from $tarbucks. The CEO of $tarbucks wants to meet these guys.

The manager is gone from there. I don't think she got fired. If it's who I think it is, I know her a little bit. She was a barissta at the 15th and Latimer store. Then she got the manager position at 20th and Market, then, apparently the manager position at 18th and Spruce, which, because of it being Rittenhouse, is a very high profile place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia