Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 01:44 PM

69 posts, read 165,606 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I are thinking about retiring to PA since they do not tax any retirement income (ssi, pension, 401k, ira). We currently live in Texas, but don't want to stay down here. We used to live outside of Pittsburgh, but are looking at eastern PA this time around.

Some of the things that appeal to us are proximity to the ocean and large metro areas (Philly, Baltimore, DC, even NY and Boston). We want to be within an hour of Philly.

We have just started researching, but I really want to get some opinions on these counties:
Chester, Bucks and Lancaster.

What really appeals to us is a larger lot (2-5 acres) with a view, away from neighbors, and in a town with some character/charm. Our plan is to build a house. We like to play golf, ride his motorcycles, eat out, hike, and hang out at home.

Can anyone here share some opinions on what life would be like in these areas? We're from New England, so we're accustomed to snow and cold weather.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 09:16 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
Hello Everyone,

My husband and I are thinking about retiring to PA since they do not tax any retirement income (ssi, pension, 401k, ira). We currently live in Texas, but don't want to stay down here. We used to live outside of Pittsburgh, but are looking at eastern PA this time around.

Some of the things that appeal to us are proximity to the ocean and large metro areas (Philly, Baltimore, DC, even NY and Boston). We want to be within an hour of Philly.

We have just started researching, but I really want to get some opinions on these counties:
Chester, Bucks and Lancaster.

What really appeals to us is a larger lot (2-5 acres) with a view, away from neighbors, and in a town with some character/charm. Our plan is to build a house. We like to play golf, ride his motorcycles, eat out, hike, and hang out at home.

Can anyone here share some opinions on what life would be like in these areas? We're from New England, so we're accustomed to snow and cold weather.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Certainly consider Bucks County (Doylestown, Newtown, among others). Also think about Lehigh Valley (forum newcomers sticky: Help for new and potential residents), a beautiful area to the north that is maybe 1 1/2 hrs from New York. Post replies to Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information. in the Philly forum.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:50 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
New York is only 90 miles from Philly, although I don't see that as a huge positive. Philly has a lot to offer from a cultural, culinary, historical, and other perspectives, but your post seemed to indicate it was farther than Baltimore, and DC. It is MUCH closer.

I am in Chester County, so of course biased towards that. Their are many locations with quick access to the PA Turnpike, Rt 202, 476, and even I-95, depending on where you are. Property taxes can be a bit expensive depending on the school district, but nothing like NJ, or NY in general. You aren't worried about kids in school, so that shouldn't matter.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:34 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
All these counties have beautiful areas and charming towns, but your budget will be important, as a 2-5-acre parcel of land will be expensive, especially as you get closer to the city. I am a Philly (suburb) native and think it's the most wonderful city anywhere!

Old 04-24-2018, 06:41 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Welcome Hammie.
I love the greater Philadelphia area for all the reasons you mentioned and as a soon to be retiree think it's ideal. I live in center city but I'm a native NY'er so I wanted city living.
I agree with Avalon, you're housing budget will be important.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:20 AM

1,388 posts, read 909,333 times
If you're looking in Bucks County for 2-5 acres, you're going to either have a multi-million dollar budget or get a little bit away from the Central Bucks towns (i.e. Newtown/Doylestown) and more into Upper Bucks, like in the Plumsteadville or Hilltown areas where it's less developed. There are very pretty areas up there and you have very nice little towns fairly close by, including Doylestown, Sellersville, and New Hope/Lambertville, as well as Lake Nockamixon, but it is a little over an hour to Philly from that far away, even in good traffic times.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:21 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,690 times
Nothing in Lancaster County will be within an hour of Center City Philadelphia. Not even within an hour of PHL unless you're driving -- over the speed limit -- at 3 a.m.

In Chester County, the area just west of Kennett Square might have what you're looking for. Though since you haven't mentioned a price range, that's hard to say.

To give you some perspective, Pocopson Township (east of Kennett Square) is about 45 minutes from Center City Philadelphia under the best possible circumstances. And that's before you start looking for a parking space.

Chester County is a GREAT place to live if you want to drive less than two hours to Philadelphia, Baltimore, the NJ Shore, the Delaware Beaches, Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake. Add another hour and you're in NYC, DC, the Poconos.

We agree with you that the non-taxed status of nearly all retirement income is a very attractive feature of living in Pennsylvania!

Old 04-30-2018, 10:24 AM

69 posts, read 165,606 times
Thanks so much for all of your replies!

Thought I'd share some more information so you can all help me some more!

We'd like to spend no more than $150k for a lot. Would consider as small as 1 acre, no more than 5. Want to keep our building costs under $350k.

Being near (within an hour) of a good hospital is important, as well as good medical care. What areas should I consider or avoid due to this criteria?

I think that Bucks County is probably out of our price range. We're leaning more towards Chester County. Would love to be in a more quaint, scenic town, with a low crime rate, and within a close proximity to shopping (groceries, etc).

Obviously would like to keep real estate taxes on the lower side. What towns have the highest taxes?

We are going to be in the area on May 13th through May 15th for a quick look around. Can you suggest places we should visit to get an idea of the area? Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a realtor, please send me a private message.

I will answer the questions in the link and will post shortly.

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2018, 10:33 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
The real estate/property taxes in Chester County will depend on the school district. For instance, Coatesville School District will be less expensive than Downingtown School District. There are good areas within this school district (not in the town of Coatesville) that are a bit more rural, but with quick access to shopping, health care, etc. East Brandywine, West Brandywine, Wallace, maybe Caln and West Caln townships may have property that has the balance in which you are looking but still close enough to Downingtown, and Exton for goods, and services.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:03 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
Thanks so much for all of your replies!

Thought I'd share some more information so you can all help me some more!

We'd like to spend no more than $150k for a lot. Would consider as small as 1 acre, no more than 5. Want to keep our building costs under $350k.

Being near (within an hour) of a good hospital is important, as well as good medical care. What areas should I consider or avoid due to this criteria?

I think that Bucks County is probably out of our price range. We're leaning more towards Chester County. Would love to be in a more quaint, scenic town, with a low crime rate, and within a close proximity to shopping (groceries, etc).

Obviously would like to keep real estate taxes on the lower side. What towns have the highest taxes?

We are going to be in the area on May 13th through May 15th for a quick look around. Can you suggest places we should visit to get an idea of the area? Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a realtor, please send me a private message.

I will answer the questions in the link and will post shortly.

Thanks!
I can't think of anywhere in Chester County that isn't within an hour of good hospitals and healthcare, and close to some sort of shopping. I mean, you're basically within an hour of the city, which has some of the best healthcare in the world, but there are certainly good hospitals in the suburbs as well.

It's a heckuva big area to do a "quick lookaround". Hopefully someone has turned you on to a local realtor who can help you narrow down your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia