Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 06:45 AM

3 posts, read 10,708 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm re-locating to the Philadelphia area and found a beautiful loft in Hagert street, one block away from Kensington Ave. I went there twice in the daytime and the area seemed quiet and safe to walk around in the direction of Fishtown but one block west and it's a complete 180 once you reach Kensington Ave. I just want to make sure that the location is safe to live in since I know a few spots are being bought out and re-built? Or if I should avoid this area completely?

Any input anyone can provide would be really appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 09:04 AM

Added more info!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny0305 View Post
Hi,

I'm re-locating to the Philadelphia area and found a beautiful loft in Hagert street, one block away from Kensington Ave. I went there twice in the daytime and the area seemed quiet and safe to walk around in the direction of Fishtown but one block west and it's a complete 180 once you reach Kensington Ave.

My friend and I are re-locating from N.J. and are unfamiliar with the area. We both are in our late twenties. I lived near the Trenton area in N.J. and felt safe walking around but I was also mindful of which areas to avoid. I've heard Kensington isn't the safest area but then also others have said that it is becoming safer. My concern is at night walking to and from my car so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would people recommend 2 twenty year old females living in that area? The realtor explained to us that the area is becoming safer since the surrounding area is being bought and converted to loft/apartment buildings.

I know living anywhere there is always a potential risk. Any input anyone can provide would be really appreciated!

Old 04-30-2018, 10:37 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,299 times
Why do you want to live in Kensington? Will your car be parked in a secure location?

Kensington is ground zero of the opioid epidemic in Philly which I think is getting worse (based on the reports in the media)

Old 04-30-2018, 11:18 AM

288 posts, read 244,615 times
The area is pretty desolate right now, with nothing around there. There are some new constructions popping up, but the momentum is slow. I would not live around there. If you are seeking that area because of the cheaper rent, the trade-off is lack of safety and walkable amenities.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:48 PM

I'm trying to find a 2 BDR apartment with W/D in unit and Central AC near the 95 due to my long commute to work. I was told to only check out Fishtown or Northern Liberties but I'm having a hard time finding apartments under 1450 with central air and washer and dryer. The loft I saw has all of that for 1400 dollars so that's why I thought I would consider living in that area.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:16 PM

377 posts, read 666,876 times
Take a look at this interactive Crime Map. You should be able to zoom in very close to your target.

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2020 at 02:30 AM..

Old 05-01-2018, 06:35 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
The area is pretty desolate right now, with nothing around there. There are some new constructions popping up, but the momentum is slow. I would not live around there. If you are seeking that area because of the cheaper rent, the trade-off is lack of safety and walkable amenities.
Yes, OP be mindful of this post because it is spot on.

Gentrification in Kensington is slow right now. Long way to go, imo. Fishtown, right next door, is a completely different story.

Since you want to be nearish to I-95, you might want to look further south in perhaps Pennsport in S. Philly. It's much safer, has okay shopping(two strip malls, including IKEA) and, likely, better parking.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:28 PM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yes, OP be mindful of this post because it is spot on.

Gentrification in Kensington is slow right now. Long way to go, imo. Fishtown, right next door, is a completely different story.

Since you want to be nearish to I-95, you might want to look further south in perhaps Pennsport in S. Philly. It's much safer, has okay shopping(two strip malls, including IKEA) and, likely, better parking.
I’ll second this. It sounds like the loft is a cool place and it also sounds like you’d very much like this to work out. However, it really isn’t worth it - you won’t enjoy the QOL there and quite frankly, it’s dangerous. I’m assuming you’ll be working north up 95. I made that commute all the way to Princeton for years and south philly is definitely an option you should consider. You won’t get as much house in a Pennsport or Queen Village, but you’ll enjoy your experience in Philly a LOT more. My advice is to forget the loft.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:54 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
what exactly is "new kensington"?

Old 05-08-2018, 09:13 AM

73 posts, read 80,625 times
I googled New Kensington and it seems to be more a community development corporation - trying to gentrify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia