Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 10:06 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No contest. But I'd live in CH over any location in PA.
I know this thread is YEARS old. But this comment above ^^ struck me as almost downright ignorant. But an individual is allowed to make his or her choice and have his/her opinion....Cherry Hill over ANY area in all of Pennsylvania?

If distance were no object.....I'd pick ANY town on the Main Line over Cherry Hill. Let's see...Ardmore, Radnor, Bryn Mawr or Wynnewood....or Cherry Hill? The Main Line wins every time. Heck even, Kennet Square or Broomall wins over Cherry Hill. NOT that Cherry Hill is bad, or anything like that. It's nice enough, but it's not ALL THAT.

Quote:
....it seems a bit more extreme than in NYC or DC...
When I moved to D.C. from Philly, I wondered where all the Italians were. It's like there were NO Italians. I know that's not literally true, but I was like where are they all? Finding an Italian deli was like looking for gold...and I STILL have found a GOOD one like there were in South Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 01:07 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

When I moved to D.C. from Philly, I wondered where all the Italians were. It's like there were NO Italians. I know that's not literally true, but I was like where are they all? Finding an Italian deli was like looking for gold...and I STILL have found a GOOD one like there were in South Philly.
Didn't a lot of them move right across the Delaware to Washington Twp, NJ?

There are still Italians in S. Philly around East and West Passyunk. Who do you think puts up all of the amazing winter time holiday light displays?

Old 08-10-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I know this thread is YEARS old. But this comment above ^^ struck me as almost downright ignorant. But an individual is allowed to make his or her choice and have his/her opinion....Cherry Hill over ANY area in all of Pennsylvania?

If distance were no object.....I'd pick ANY town on the Main Line over Cherry Hill. Let's see...Ardmore, Radnor, Bryn Mawr or Wynnewood....or Cherry Hill? The Main Line wins every time. Heck even, Kennet Square or Broomall wins over Cherry Hill. NOT that Cherry Hill is bad, or anything like that. It's nice enough, but it's not ALL THAT.

Tbh, there were three Little Italys that I'm aware of once upon time. One in N. Phila in Swampoodle. One in W. Phila. with people ultimately ending Up in Overbrook after migrating from neighborhoods further east. And the more well known one in S. Phila. Only portions of the S. Philly one remain.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:12 PM

135 posts, read 175,276 times
Nowhere.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:39 AM

134 posts, read 475,126 times
This thread is pretty ridiculous. There are plenty of Italians left in Philadelphia. If you want to see large Italian neighborhoods check out South Philly between 8th street-broad south of Washington with particularly large populations of Italians concentrated south of Snyder on both sides of Broad Street. However the further South you go the more Italian the neighborhoods get. Primary examples are around Oregon Avenue on both sides of Broad street including Packer Park, Girard Estates and the neighborhoods surrounding Moyamensing/Penrose avenue. Take a walk, bike ride or drive through the neighborhoods before jumping to conclusions.

Last edited by sweendog024; 08-12-2015 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-12-2015, 12:57 PM

^^ You're correct.
But -- there was a time when it was Italian from TASKER on down. SO it's not like -- uh, other groups haven't moved in.

I remember when blocks were busted, and other ethic backgrounds came in. When it first started south of Mifflin -- I was like "damn" as in surprised, shocked actually -- and some Italian flight started. And I don't blame them. Look at most of the area from Tasker to Passyunk now. There's NO comparison to how the houses were kept up with the gorgeous masonry and PRISTINE front steps/stoops. Some sidewalks are FILTHY, and houses are NOT kept up as much. Some are now down right run down. UGH. And 9th street, now? No comparison.

Have ALL Italian fled? Of course not. But let's not act like a WHOLE LOT didn't move out.

And were were some Italians also in the far northeast. But I'm intimately familiar with South Philly.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog024 View Post
This thread is pretty ridiculous. There are plenty of Italians left in Philadelphia. If you want to see large Italian neighborhoods check out South Philly between 8th street-broad south of Washington with particularly large populations of Italians concentrated south of Snyder on both sides of Broad Street. However the further South you go the more Italian the neighborhoods get. Primary examples are around Oregon Avenue on both sides of Broad street including Packer Park, Girard Estates and the neighborhoods surrounding Moyamensing/Penrose avenue. Take a walk, bike ride or drive through the neighborhoods before jumping to conclusions.
Correct but there used to be more Italians. Way more. They used be in more sections of the city than S. Philly.
They used to be in N. Philly and W. Philly too. The largest Catholic(mostly Italian) parish in Phila. was in W. Phila.: Our Mother of Sorrows at 48th and Lancaster Ave. Right across the street from is the gone, but not forgotten, was St Thomas Moore HS.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:32 AM

14 posts, read 20,292 times
Yes. "Our Mother Of Sorrows." (Enlightening name huh? lol) We lived at 48th & Thompson for a while then a few blocks up to 55th. They called that area "Little Italy", I fondly remember Mr. Vincent and his family at Vincent's Pizza at 50th & Thompson, as well as all of the Italian pubs, deli's, and neighborhood grocery stores. (It now has a sizable Jamaican/West Indian population.) Also further up around 62nd & Thompson to 75th was the "New Little Italy" as we called it in the early 80's. Even the South Side around 54th & Chester Avenue all the way up to 80th & Eastwick had a huge number of Italians back in the days. (It's now made of of a large number of African & Cambodian immigrants.)
Things change..

Old 08-13-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freethinker15 View Post
Yes. "Our Mother Of Sorrows." (Enlightening name huh? lol) We lived at 48th & Thompson for a while then a few blocks up to 55th. They called that area "Little Italy", I fondly remember Mr. Vincent and his family at Vincent's Pizza at 50th & Thompson, as well as all of the Italian pubs, deli's, and neighborhood grocery stores. (It now has a sizable Jamaican/West Indian population.) Also further up around 62nd & Thompson to 75th was the "New Little Italy" as we called it in the early 80's. Even the South Side around 54th & Chester Avenue all the way up to 80th & Eastwick had a huge number of Italians back in the days. (It's now made of of a large number of African & Cambodian immigrants.)
Things change..
My dad grew up at 58th-57th and Vine Sts in the 1920s/1930s. His family was the only black family on their
block. Everyone else was Italian.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Things change..
Yes they do. sometimes for the better, other times for the worse. When people move in who don't keep up their homes, I'd say that's for the worse. And that's happened in some of the parts of the city that we've been discussing where the demographic has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia