Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 03:06 PM

273 posts, read 317,527 times

Advertisements

I’m in Media, and I can’t comment on actual selling prices, but if they’re anywhere near asking prices, $350K isn’t going to buy you much in Media’s current real estate market.

Everyone has a different definition of “nice”, but it seems like the current going rate for a tired twin with ’70s paneling and an avocado kitchen or a mauve shower/bath is around $300-350K. Anything with some updates (new/refinished floors, remodeled kitchen, etc.) is likely over $400K and probably closer to $500K.

I know we’re not allowed to link property listings, but hopefully indirectly referencing a property is allowed: A twin in the borough was recently listed for sale as-is and “needing TLC"—photos make it look like an absolute disaster—and the asking price is about $300K.

So borrowing a old phrase from Gimbel’s, if you’re house shopping in Media and want to “select, not settle”, you’d better come with about a half a million-dollar budget. It’s a great town with great schools and transit access, as more people discover that, home prices continue to climb upward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 12:29 PM

13 posts, read 15,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briantroutman View Post
I’m in Media, and I can’t comment on actual selling prices, but if they’re anywhere near asking prices, $350K isn’t going to buy you much in Media’s current real estate market.

Everyone has a different definition of “nice”, but it seems like the current going rate for a tired twin with ’70s paneling and an avocado kitchen or a mauve shower/bath is around $300-350K. Anything with some updates (new/refinished floors, remodeled kitchen, etc.) is likely over $400K and probably closer to $500K.

I know we’re not allowed to link property listings, but hopefully indirectly referencing a property is allowed: A twin in the borough was recently listed for sale as-is and “needing TLC"—photos make it look like an absolute disaster—and the asking price is about $300K.

So borrowing a old phrase from Gimbel’s, if you’re house shopping in Media and want to “select, not settle”, you’d better come with about a half a million-dollar budget. It’s a great town with great schools and transit access, as more people discover that, home prices continue to climb upward.
Thanks. Will the market bust ?

Old 07-01-2018, 01:08 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phl_commuter View Post
I don't think we're headed for a bust, but we could see a correction down the road.

What I think may be more likely is that the gears of the housing market seize before the correction. It's not just, or even so much, that prices are headed skyward, but more that inventory is plunging. Nationwide, there's less than a month's supply on the market. That's partly because owners of existing homes are now reluctant to put them on the market because they fear they won't be able to afford a home on the next rung up the ladder because of the recent runup.

That could cause some havoc.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:12 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
And most Philadelphia suburbs never reached their pre recession peak, so I think many desirable suburbs (Media is a big one), will certainly continue to climb. Nothing drastic, but I could see those older twins and rowhomes inching toward the $500k mark over the next 5 years if trends in Media continue.

New construction in the borough has become pretty inflated though, especially if you find a rare brand new single family home.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:59 AM

48 posts, read 65,605 times
"That puts Morton, Swarthmore, Wallingford, Rose Valley and Media within your commuting reach. Whether you can find something in any of these communities for <$350k is another story. Wallingford-Swarthmore, Rose Tree Media and Marple Newtown all rate highly among this region's school districts. (Morton is separated from the rest of the district, but children there attend Wallingford-Swarthmore schools.)"

Just to clarify - Residents of Morton Borough are part of the Springfield School District. The four municipalities which make up the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District are Nether Providence Township (aka Wallingford), Swarthmore Borough, Rose Valley Borough and Rutledge Borough.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:24 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Havertown.

Haverford Twp. schools. Higher taxes. But it is why home prices have been a bit more attainable.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:59 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonegalGuy View Post
"That puts Morton, Swarthmore, Wallingford, Rose Valley and Media within your commuting reach. Whether you can find something in any of these communities for <$350k is another story. Wallingford-Swarthmore, Rose Tree Media and Marple Newtown all rate highly among this region's school districts. (Morton is separated from the rest of the district, but children there attend Wallingford-Swarthmore schools.)"

Just to clarify - Residents of Morton Borough are part of the Springfield School District. The four municipalities which make up the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District are Nether Providence Township (aka Wallingford), Swarthmore Borough, Rose Valley Borough and Rutledge Borough.
Thanks for the correction. I had the wrong disconnected borough.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:06 AM

13 posts, read 15,545 times
Thoughts on stucco ? Is stucco from 1950s bad ?

Old 07-06-2018, 09:00 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,677,377 times
Quote:
Thoughts on stucco ? Is stucco from 1950s bad ?
I saw a few bad posts on stucco. If you don't know how to maintain it, then I'd just avoid personally if you can.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:03 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,677,377 times
Bridgeport is a good place to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia