U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:27 AM

45 posts, read 86,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
wearing a mets jersey in philly is suicide
I would like to say this is true but it is not. Unfortunatly at a Phils/Mets game a good 25 - 35 percent off the fans are wearing Mets gear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 12:08 PM

282 posts, read 541,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Eh, I dunno. From what I've seen, Philly is no worse than any other passionate East Coast fanbase.
I don't know about that. Not just any fanbase has the distinction of booing Santa Claus....

We're harsh, we're rude and we're proud of it too@@@!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighBoundGeek View Post
I don't know about that. Not just any fanbase has the distinction of booing Santa Claus....

We're harsh, we're rude and we're proud of it too@@@!
Of course this is the MOST overplayed story ever. I think the ______ on ESPN don't know anything about the real story when they repeatedly say it. It was in I believe 1968 (40 years!)the Eagles were like 1-12 (one win and twelve losses). The Santa that was supposed to be there wasn't (don't know why) they pulled a guy dressed as Santa out of the stands at halftime who was apparently drunk and the fans booed him. Now does that really make the fans horrible when they boo the guy? (If Santa gave the crowd the finger, ESPN wouldn't say that they would just say the crowd booed Santa) When ESPN ALWAYS brings this situation up they never tell you why just that the Philly fans booed Santa.
Sorry this just annoys me so much. (Info on this story was in Philadelphia Magazine)

Last edited by Tone509; 04-04-2008 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: careful with the language

Old 04-03-2008, 02:50 PM

1,707 posts, read 3,478,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwads31 View Post
Of course this is the MOST overplayed story ever.
You should call Missinelli's new show on 950 espn and ask him to do a few minutes on it. I hear all the time 'that story is an urban legend and phony but I still don't get the specifics of it.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
You should call Missinelli's new show on 950 espn and ask him to do a few minutes on it. I hear all the time 'that story is an urban legend and phony but I still don't get the specifics of it.
It really just annoys me how much it is always referenced. I don't always hear how Chicago fans destroyed an ENTIRE baseball stadium in 1979 but we hear about this Santa Claus thing. It's unbelievable to me.

I wasn't around in 1968 so my info is not first hand but I did read about in Philadelphia magazine about 3-4 years ago.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:12 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,049,584 times
I'd say when the Mets come to town it's more like 15-20% of the fans are Mets fans. I know a number of Mets fans I've interacted with on sports message boards say it is easier for them to come to South Philadelphia than to go to Flushing, Queens.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:18 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,049,584 times
Bwads31 is close to accurate on his summary above:

*The incident occurred in 1968 at Franklin Field.

*The "first-string" Santa Claus got sick or something so the second-string Santa, who was young, thin guy, filled in.

*Second-string Santa was supposed to throw tickets into the crowd as Christmas presents, but his arm wasn't very strong so the tickets only got a few rows in.

*Eagles fans were further annoyed that the team, which started the season 0-11, blew its chance to draft O.J. Simpson (in his pre-white Ford Bronco days) by winning its next 2 (and ultimately, final 3) games.

*Presumably some fans were drunk (some things don't change).

*Some fans threw snowballs at second-string Santa Claus.

This story has been blown way out of proportion. On the other hand, Eagles fans (including one future mayor and governor Ed Rendell) threw snowballs that were more like iceballs at then-Dallas head coach Jimmy Johnson after a 1989 game at the Vet.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:43 AM

1,707 posts, read 3,478,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Bwads31 is close to accurate on his summary above:

*The incident occurred in 1968 at Franklin Field.

*The "first-string" Santa Claus got sick or something so the second-string Santa, who was young, thin guy, filled in.

*Second-string Santa was supposed to throw tickets into the crowd as Christmas presents, but his arm wasn't very strong so the tickets only got a few rows in.

*Eagles fans were further annoyed that the team, which started the season 0-11, blew its chance to draft O.J. Simpson (in his pre-white Ford Bronco days) by winning its next 2 (and ultimately, final 3) games.

*Presumably some fans were drunk (some things don't change).

*Some fans threw snowballs at second-string Santa Claus.

This story has been blown way out of proportion.
Thats hilarious, and it is blown way out of proportion nationally

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
On the other hand, Eagles fans (including one future mayor and governor Ed Rendell) threw snowballs that were more like iceballs at then-Dallas head coach Jimmy Johnson after a 1989 game at the Vet.
That on the other hand is not so nice.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:01 AM

1,853 posts, read 4,597,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Thats hilarious, and it is blown way out of proportion nationally

That on the other hand is not so nice.

Ed did not actually throw any snowballs. He bet a kid in the stands that he couldn't hit Johnson.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:24 PM

186 posts, read 353,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kings4cup View Post
I was on vacation last week checking out cities I'd consider relocating to after I graduate from college this May and I just have to say that you have a special city going for you.
Being from the LA area, Philadelphia has a negative connotation that it doesn't deserve.
People are thought to be cold and mean but I found that Philadelphians were some of the nicest people for a big city that I've ever met.
The city is so raw, it is what it is and doesn't try to hide it.
You got passionate sports fans (coming to see a Dodgers vs Phillies game this August!) and beautiful facilities.
The location is amazing, hour and fifteen minute train ride to NYC.
It's easily walkable and the public transportation was real solid.

Basically I'm just letting you guys know that your city is a real gem and take pride in being a Philadelphian. Don't let the pessimists and negative stereotypes bring you down because its unfounded.

Keep it up Philly!
I too would like to give Philly some praise. I love visiting your town. In fact, I make it a point to go at least once per year. I did a two yr stint in/around Philly back in 97-99 and ever since then have been totally mesmerized by the city. I am so surprised that it's charms have not been more expressed.

Philly to the outsider is outstanding. My opinion is that it has the best original food going for it. What's better than an Italian hoagie for lunch a cheesesteak for dinner and a water ice for a snack? Don't forget about the awesome pizza and pretzels too. Man, I can't wait to come visit this year!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia