U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 03:08 PM

21,166 posts, read 26,374,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Well I'm discouraged that you decided to resurface to reiterate that only you have the true perspective on PATCO and everyone else is ignorant.
I used it to commute, starting in '69. How about you? Were you aware that bus routes feed the stations, or that the PATCO line was behind the existence of the Gallery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 03:14 PM

226 posts, read 81,743 times
Well, I will have you know that I shook hands with Frank Rizzo in 1991 and those hands were very large...then he whispered in my ear that he built the Gallery just for me.

OK, that second part isn't true.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:06 PM

21,166 posts, read 26,374,628 times
Quote:
Well, I will have you know that I shook hands with Frank Rizzo in 1991 and those hands were very large...then he whispered in my ear that he built the Gallery just for me.

OK, that second part isn't true.

Rizzo was in a panic in the 70s because it was known that Philadelphians were taking PATCO to Haddonfield, then taking the bus to the Cherry Hill mall. That's why he insisted that James Rouse build the Gallery, so that there would be a Cherry Hill mall in Center City. Most people wanted the existing buildings left intact, then burrow through them to make a European style mall. Rouse had no urban experience. The closest his experience came was building Columbia, Maryland. Rizzo didn't care. He wanted the Cherry Hill mall.

By the time Rizzo was on a tear to get his very own suburban mall, Red Arrow had folded and TNJ was brought down to replace the Red Arrow buses and most bus service fed to and from PATCO, including bus routes to the malls.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:00 PM

942 posts, read 483,799 times
Quote:
Well I'm discouraged that you decided to resurface to reiterate that only you have the true perspective on PATCO and everyone else is ignorant.

I totally agree.

PATCO expansion within Philadelphia is not negative by any standards. True regional thinking would appreciate a PATCO extension to 30th st. for easy Amtrak access.

More Philadelphians take the 125 bus to King of Prussia Mall than doing the PATCO transfer to Cherry Hill Mall. As KOP is superior and an equal transit time.

I, in fact, guarantee it. NJ Transit buses are not reliable and also notorious for being unkind to pedestrians. As you wait for them on 6 lane highways. Which rarely exist in PA.

I guarantee you if you talk to people who live in S. Jersey along the PATCO line they would champion an extension to 30th street station.

No one from Pennsylvania is taking PATCO to S. Jersey to commute to the Cherry Hill Mall. This is not the 70s. Center City is THRIVING.

Rather Everyone from South Jersey is coming into Philadelphia by the droves. And appreciating the amenities. Cherry Hill to Philadelphia is alot closer to Amtrak than Cherry Hill to Trenton.

Regional thinking says. Extend PATCO to 30th st.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-04-2019 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Removed rude comments regarding another poster

Old Today, 01:55 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,508,854 times
I mean, in terms of the Subway Surface lines, it be great to see them extended to Delaware Avenue and thus have light rail in that area. Yet, I think the lines in their current form do an excellent job at getting people from West and Southwest Philly into the City.

Which leads me to my next point, how much more rail coverage does the West Philadelphia, University City are need?
Market Street Subway, all 5 subway surface routes, Amtrack 30th street station, etc.

Extending PATCO to the West is something that in my mind, purposeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia