Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 08:41 PM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro2985 View Post
Does anyone know if the outer regional rail stations are going to be turnstyleless and just use the honor system that you actually tap in and out?

Right now the readers are up in a bunch but no turnstyle is in place, this is how it is for most Japanese Pasmo entry points, and it pretty substantially increases throughput for the entry and exitways.
Only the five Center City Zone stations (Temple University to University City, inclusive) will have turnstiles installed. All the others will have readers on the platforms.

I think the decision not to have farecard vending machines at the outlying stations will be a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 12:41 AM

385 posts, read 401,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Only the five Center City Zone stations (Temple University to University City, inclusive) will have turnstiles installed. All the others will have readers on the platforms.

I think the decision not to have farecard vending machines at the outlying stations will be a mistake.
I felt this way also...farecard vending machines would be so much better and accessible for people. SEPTA's reasoning was because it would cost too much to upkeep and they are afraid of the machines being vandalized.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:15 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be so definite.

Yes, the BSL Navy Yard extension is a long shot, but there are people with some clout behind it.

The shame is that we probably will never see the Northeast subway, which really is needed.
Re: BSL extension. Who with clout? When? 10 years? More?

Old 07-24-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Key card holders with passes loaded on their cards can ride Regional Rail for free on weekends (a longstanding SEPTA policy for TransPass holders).

Ultimately, when those turnstiles go live, everyone riding Regional Rail will need a Key card. I assume that single-fare riders without Key cards will be able to purchase Quick Trip tickets to their destinations.
Since you will be a senior some day, if you are still living in the area, can you find out how regional rail intends to handle senior transit card holders who still purchase senior paper tickets($1) right now? What's the plan going forward?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Since you will be a senior some day, if you are still living in the area, can you find out how regional rail intends to handle senior transit card holders who still purchase senior paper tickets($1) right now? What's the plan going forward?
I know that seniors and those with disabilities who ride transit are supposed to be using the Senior Key Card photo cards that SEPTA began issuing last summer. They work exactly like regular Key cards, except the beep you hear the readers make is a three-tone beep that's different from the two short beeps in response to regular Key cards.

They're tapped at the turnstiles. I assume that Senior Key card holders will tap in and tap out on Regional Rail just like everyone else.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:56 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
I know that seniors and those with disabilities who ride transit are supposed to be using the Senior Key Card photo cards that SEPTA began issuing last summer. They work exactly like regular Key cards, except the beep you hear the readers make is a three-tone beep that's different from the two short beeps in response to regular Key cards.

They're tapped at the turnstiles. I assume that Senior Key card holders will tap in and tap out on Regional Rail just like everyone else.
Except there’s no monetary value to the senior cards. I saved my original key card which still has a few dollars on it for the regional rail trains.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Except there’s no monetary value to the senior cards. I saved my original key card which still has a few dollars on it for the regional rail trains.
Hmmm.

I have a friend who has one of those senior Key cards because he's officially classed as disabled.

He can reload value onto them just as you would with a regular Key card; he has to do it at a kiosk, though - I don't think he can use the website. The stored value lives in a Travel Wallet.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Hmmm.

I have a friend who has one of those senior Key cards because he's officially classed as disabled.

He can reload value onto them just as you would with a regular Key card; he has to do it at a kiosk, though - I don't think he can use the website. The stored value lives in a Travel Wallet.
Oh interesting. I didn’t know we could add money to the senior cards which of course makes total sense. I load my first key card online using the Travel Wallet. I should see if I can somehow transfer that money to it. But probably not. Not a big deal though. I usually carry both.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:

And you didn't answer my question. I was hoping you could tap your septa resources to find out.

Right now seniors with senior transit key cards( our rides are "free" as you know) are paying $1 for paper tix on regional rail(one way/ "one ride" fares). Since senior key card holders DO NOT need travel wallets what is the plan going forward to pay that $1 fare? How? In what way?

Old 07-25-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
And you didn't answer my question. I was hoping you could tap your septa resources to find out.

Right now seniors with senior transit key cards( our rides are "free" as you know) are paying $1 for paper tix on regional rail(one way/ "one ride" fares). Since senior key card holders DO NOT need travel wallets what is the plan going forward to pay that $1 fare? How? In what way?
According to the SEPTA website, you show your senior card and pay the $1 in cash. And/or keep a few dollars on a "regular" key card. Simple.

Last edited by Hannah5555; 07-25-2018 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia