Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 11:54 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
SEPTA split the 23 into two halves to reduce the frequency with which that happens.
Yeah, I'm aware. I used to take the 45 frequently, after it was split. That still doesn't solve the problem. The 23 gets backed up on the current route. And the 45 gets backed up pretty bad in Center City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 03:40 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Not that I want to voice the same issue in multiple threads, but how the streets function here don't make a lot of sense. A bus like the 23 really needs a dedicated lane and even ROW in some places. I remember when the 23 went to 12th and Oregon. I'd wait in CC for the bus, it would come 15 mins late, and then 3 buses back-to-back would show up all at the same time.
Showing my advanced age. I wish the 23 was still a trolley route. Now it's just another bus.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:56 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,410 times
I like Septa
Is it without issues? nope
Is it one of the best public transportation systems in the country. yep.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:26 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,309,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I like Septa
Is it without issues? nope
Is it one of the best public transportation systems in the country. yep.
I agree with you 500%. Some of the leadership could be a little more innovative. I think the Regional Rail key implementation could be a bit more innovative to outsiders. The system is really designed to frequent users. At this point in time it is not really an inter suburban system. Potentially in the future though it could be, with the right innovators.

But it truly is one hell of a system given its age (few people consider this) and how the majority of their capital funding had to go towards infrastructure maintenance up until the system was properly funded with Act 89 less than 5 years ago.

If you go to their website you will see they have quite an ambitious wish list of new projects with the new Act 89 funding.

They are known to be the most fiscally responsible mass transit agency in North America. And Act 89 is breathing new life into the system, they are just responsibly using funds and checking off items. One at a time.

Again Pennsylvania is now the 5th highest transit funded state in the nation. Act 89 was something both sides of the aisle came together on in Harrisburg nonetheless. Quite amazing.

Double Decker Rail Cars
New Siemens Locomotives
Norristown High Speed Line Extension
City Hall
Downtown Link

This is next on the list with Act 89 funding. $1B in trolley upgrades.

https://philly.curbed.com/2018/1/16/...olley-proposal

Go SEPTA.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:00 PM

188 posts, read 127,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

This is next on the list with Act 89 funding. $1B in trolley upgrades.

https://philly.curbed.com/2018/1/16/...olley-proposal
Can't wait for this. But Hopefully they keep the classic trolleys they use on Girard. Or reactivate route 23 with them.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:51 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times
SEPTA sucks
If you moved here from Houston, you wouldn’t think this.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:56 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
SEPTA sucks
If you moved here from Houston, you wouldn’t think this.
Most people who say that and/or believe that frequently don't know what they're talking about. The person who started this thread hates transit so, imo, it was borderline trolling from the outset.

One example I can think of of Septa's prowess was the complete rebuild of the western MFL infrastructure which included 6 new stations and new power to support it all. This happened while service disruptions were amazingly kept to a minimum.

The latest example of this is the work going on to replace the 15th St and City Hall Stations complex serving the MFL and BSL. Service so far has barely been interrupted.

Another one is a ton of track work going on on the NHSL. Delays are minor.

Septa, jmo though, does not get the credit they deserve when they execute projects like these.

It's right up there with how the city as a whole does not get the credit it deserves when it does things well.

Few people notice this stuff or make positive remarks about it. Well, some did on this thread, of course.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:42 PM

14,144 posts, read 9,035,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Most people who say that and/or believe that frequently don't know what they're talking about. The person who started this thread hates transit so, imo, it was borderline trolling from the outset.

One example I can think of of Septa's prowess was the complete rebuild of the western MFL infrastructure which included 6 new stations and new power to support it all. This happened while service disruptions were amazingly kept to a minimum.

The latest example of this is the work going on to replace the 15th St and City Hall Stations complex serving the MFL and BSL. Service so far has barely been interrupted.

Septa, jmo though, does not get the credit they deserve when they execute projects like these.

It's right up there with how the city as a whole does not get the credit it deserves when it does things well.

Few people notice this stuff or make positive remarks about it. Well, some did on this thread, of course.
I've been one of the cheerleaders, both here and in the general news media. I don't write about the subject much anymore now that real estate's my exclusive beat.

People gave me funny looks when I said SEPTA deserved that APTA award it got for "Best Large Transit System" in 2012. SEPTA won it primarily because it kept the system in good running order while it was still throwing off bolts using only duct tape and baling wire. As you and others here have pointed out, now that it has some Serious Money it can spend, it's spending it wisely (well, we can argue over the merits of the Route 100 KoP spur, but it's far from a boondoggle).

Old 07-29-2018, 11:05 PM

385 posts, read 400,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

Agree with all of this...i often have a debate with people who do not understand how things work. They grunt about SEPTA always getting new buses...it's like would you rather have a old dysfunctional vehicle ? Buses have a 16 year life span....but most of the things that SEPTA is fixing customers are not noticing. They seem to be focused on just on-time performance instead of the whole infrastructure aspect of things it seems from what i've seen. SEPTA always made ends meet with what they "HAD".

Old 07-29-2018, 11:50 PM

23,810 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Only the five Center City Zone stations (Temple University to University City, inclusive) will have turnstiles installed. All the others will have readers on the platforms.

I think the decision not to have farecard vending machines at the outlying stations will be a mistake.
I've been reading this thread thinking this. It's old technology but it's been working for PATCO since February 1969
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia