Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:32 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I also think Philadelphia needs to continue to diversify its amenities and housing stock. The most bustling exciting neighborhoods are the ones that have variety and not just rowhomes lined up. Northern Liberties and Fishtown are great examples of bustling districts, they are just separated from CC at this point, because its a rather dreary walk between there and CC.
Boy is this true. That's part of the issue that I and Hannah outlined. When it's just street after street of row homes, it's heavily residential and not much of a reason to visit. Makes the areas of the city that feel like big cities with appeal feel smaller. It's so disappointing to see versions of row houses being built for a full block. We need more apartments with nice street facing storefronts to increase the spread of amenities and excitement, mixing up residential areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 10:54 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Boy is this true. That's part of the issue that I and Hannah outlined. When it's just street after street of row homes, it's heavily residential and not much of a reason to visit. Makes the areas of the city that feel like big cities with appeal feel smaller. It's so disappointing to see versions of row houses being built for a full block. We need more apartments with nice street facing storefronts to increase the spread of amenities and excitement, mixing up residential areas.
Couldn't agree more. I am so disappointed when I see prime land in/ near CC turned into more rowhouses. A recent example is the vacant garage across from the Lombard Swim Club on Lombard St. Perfect spot for a 5-8 story mixed use building with apartments and ground floor retail, yet its becoming 10 rowhome mansions... that does nothing to grow or stretch activity southward. It is hard to infuse restaurants or shops into developments that are only houses.

And I am not advocating for Manhattan type development in every inch of the city, but there is no reason why the majority of new construction in dense neighborhoods shouldn't be mixed use/ mid rise structures.

Old City has done a nice job of introducing large projects in once quiet zones, 205 Race is a good example.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:56 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I only included DC because it was mentioned earlier. I haven't been there since I was 12. But again, the areas you mention are all within the boundaries of CC or greater CC. That is not a criticism; it is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I tend to eat in places that only have live music so my experience with restaurants here has been limited. That said, the food is almost always as good as the music .
I was just sharing some of my views

I also think you got attention when you claimed that DC was a "big" city in the leagues of NYC and Chicago. In the minds of DC residents they think they are equals to New York, but to logical outsiders, they are just another city.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:07 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
I was just sharing some of my views

I also think you got attention when you claimed that DC was a "big" city in the leagues of NYC and Chicago. In the minds of DC residents they think they are equals to New York, but to logical outsiders, they are just another city.
Yup, I know . Only included DC because it was mentioned earlier, I have NO first hand knowledge about anything DC related.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:15 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
If I said this ..... it would be thinking
Don't forget some green-space too helps aesthetically. New infill should have to do some. Especially sidewalks just big enough to accommodate some or set-back some totally new construction a couple feet.

Of course .... not the Philly way nor aids in developers profits. But there can be great results too. Not every street is going to be retail. Main streets will always be the usual location. NYC will remain unique in super-densities that support more on many streets.

Blocks of more solid walls of rows .... are going to be the common Philly perception. Especially outside of CC with areas that are exceptions. And of course the far Northern tier very suburban.

It is Philly's trademark even in gentrification. Other cities have lessor amounts to little in block after block of solid walls of rows. Doesn't make Philly lessor for it. But for some visitors.... less a preference and lacks higher interest for them. They are less likely to say -- oh this is really nice, or wow I'd live here. But of course, Philly can wow in areas too where the architecture stands out most and quaintness gets noted.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:35 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Sounding a bit like DaveP about the row house comments. Lol. You know perfectly well why we have so many.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I am so disappointed when I see prime land in/ near CC turned into more rowhouses. A recent example is the vacant garage across from the Lombard Swim Club on Lombard St. Perfect spot for a 5-8 story mixed use building with apartments and ground floor retail, yet its becoming 10 rowhome mansions... that does nothing to grow or stretch activity southward. It is hard to infuse restaurants or shops into developments that are only houses.

And I am not advocating for Manhattan type development in every inch of the city, but there is no reason why the majority of new construction in dense neighborhoods shouldn't be mixed use/ mid rise structures.

Old City has done a nice job of introducing large projects in once quiet zones, 205 Race is a good example.
I'm a huge fan of 205 Race St. The shame is that Philly's zoning allows for mixed use development, unlike most of America, and then more residential is built.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Sounding a bit like DaveP about the row house comments. Lol. You know perfectly well why we have so many.
Haha, well, I didn't use CAPS to emphasize my points. I do know why, but that's why CC feels like an island to some extent.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:

There are a ton of new/newish row houses in Old City. Walk around a bit more. And new ones, as well, in Society Hill, east of 2nd right above Walnut.

I love NY but on the other hand I don't want Philadelphia to look like NY.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Haha, well, I didn't use CAPS to emphasize my points. I do know why, but that's why CC feels like an island to some extent.
Well, we don't agree about a lot of stuff. I don't see CC as an island. I'm not in love with trees everywhere. And row houses are a huge part of what makes Philadelphia, Philadelphia, imo. I do include twins as a kind of row house example because of the common wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia