U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Philly look to add a third subway line?
Yes, it would be a good long-term goal 17 54.84%
Yes, get on it right away 11 35.48%
No, it's not necessary 1 3.23%
No, it's not feasible 2 6.45%
Wouldn't really matter either way 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:49 AM

20,109 posts, read 21,722,272 times

Advertisements

Integrate PATCO speedline into the system and then have it go further west until 22nd street where it turns north until it meets Pennsylvania Avenue where it will follow the existing rail right of way and possibly split to go north on 29th Street.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-10-2018 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 05:52 PM

903 posts, read 427,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
If it's the same tunnel it's supposed to be part of the Rail Park extension.

Tangential. I read an article today about how fairly uncompliant the NY MTA is with the ADA. Septa has made great strides there.

SEPTA still owns the tunnel. I have attended events with the rail park board and inquired on their planning.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:02 PM

20,493 posts, read 25,691,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Integrate PATCO speedline into the system and then have it go further west until 22nd street where it turns north until it meets Pennsylvania Avenue where it will follow the existing rail right of way and possibly split to go north on 29th Street.
Are you suggesting that SEPTA buy out PATCO, the Port Authority Transit Corporation? It's run by a 2 state commission. As I've said, there's nothing to stop SEPTA from abutting a line or a spur to PATCO. PATCO is subsidized by bridge tolls. How would that work with your idea?

Old 10-11-2018, 07:24 AM

20,109 posts, read 21,722,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Are you suggesting that SEPTA buy out PATCO, the Port Authority Transit Corporation? It's run by a 2 state commission. As I've said, there's nothing to stop SEPTA from abutting a line or a spur to PATCO. PATCO is subsidized by bridge tolls. How would that work with your idea?
That or they work out an agreement for fare split and make it into a single zone. With both using nfc cards that are technologically compatible, this could be doable.

The crux of it is that you have a rapid transit subway terminating in Center City and that kind of thing is horribly inefficient. A PATCO that heads further into Philadelphia, especially one that can bring transit to major institutions and redeveloping neighborhoods is far more efficient as a layout and better utilizing at least some existing infrastructure is more cost-effective than wholesale creation of a new line. Putting them all in the same farezone reduces a barrier to mass transit usage and ultimately makes for a more attractive system that can draw more users which then increases farebox recovery. It should ideally work as a system (including other systems like the light rail in NJ, regional rail, and the Atlantic City line) where the sum is much greater than its parts.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:24 AM

8,195 posts, read 4,395,735 times
Why don't some of the younger posters on this thread use some of your obvious analytical skills to think about solutions to the very real possibility that climate change will cause even more flooding than we already have from our rivers and creek systems? What would you do about it? And what would you propose?

Thinking about future transit is a good thought exercise though.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:21 PM

20,493 posts, read 25,691,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That or they work out an agreement for fare split and make it into a single zone. With both using nfc cards that are technologically compatible, this could be doable.

The crux of it is that you have a rapid transit subway terminating in Center City and that kind of thing is horribly inefficient. A PATCO that heads further into Philadelphia, especially one that can bring transit to major institutions and redeveloping neighborhoods is far more efficient as a layout and better utilizing at least some existing infrastructure is more cost-effective than wholesale creation of a new line. Putting them all in the same farezone reduces a barrier to mass transit usage and ultimately makes for a more attractive system that can draw more users which then increases farebox recovery. It should ideally work as a system (including other systems like the light rail in NJ, regional rail, and the Atlantic City line) where the sum is much greater than its parts.
How often have you used PATCO?

Old 10-11-2018, 12:24 PM

900 posts, read 1,052,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Why don't some of the younger posters on this thread use some of your obvious analytical skills to think about solutions to the very real possibility that climate change will cause even more flooding than we already have from our rivers and creek systems? What would you do about it? And what would you propose?

Thinking about future transit is a good thought exercise though.
Could we build silos somewhere to transport and to hold the water in, and then sell it to California and the west coast when they hit another dry season?

Old 10-11-2018, 02:14 PM

168 posts, read 62,057 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what your criticism is here but I use PATCO almost daily (live in CC and work in NJ). It operates as a heavy rail line, including great frequency (but with zoned fare) but since it terminates in CC, it is used primarily like commuter rail. I think this is what Oycumbler is getting at. The PATCO line would be used for intra-City travel (as opposed to just NJ to CC commuting) if it were extended through CC and in my mind, it wouldn't have to extend very far in order to function that way.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:05 PM

8,195 posts, read 4,395,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Could we build silos somewhere to transport and to hold the water in, and then sell it to California and the west coast when they hit another dry season?
Don't know whether you are joking or not.

Chances are they are going to have perpetual dry/fire seasons.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:33 PM

903 posts, read 427,846 times
Quote:
I have worked for the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission.

SEPTA purchasing PATCO has been on a regional shortlist for quite a while as PATCO is owned by the Delaware River Port Authority.

I think the MAIN motivator behind this was SEPTA's planning infrastructure was more robust to aid in adding additional lines. (SEPTA is the 5th/6th transit agency in the nation and they have the internal systems to do transformational work with PATCO).

But do not ask me how that would work.

In recent days though Act 89 has totally transformed SEPTA's priorities. And Patco acquisition is much lower on the list.

South New Jersey is underserved by transit.

I have no idea what this relationship is truly intended to be.

But it has been a SEPTA agenda for a while.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 10-11-2018 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or