Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 07:23 PM

7 posts, read 23,380 times

Advertisements

Hey Philly Friends,

We are relocating to the Philadelphia area. My husband will be commuting to Suburban Station daily and we have 3 children under 6 who will be entering the public school system.

My question to you is:

Q. Of all the towns, townships and school districts in and around the Greater Philadelphia Area, where would YOU choose to live if you had $650,000 to spend on a house? Why?

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2018, 12:25 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
I would choose any of the Main Line towns or close to them, though I don't know what $650K will get you these days. I don't have young kids but I know the school districts are good. I have lived in the Main Line town of Berwyn and loved it -- nice people, beautiful area, close to major highways and easy access into the city. For comparison, I have also lived in Norristown, Skippack, Lansdale, and Newtown Square. Berwyn was my favorite!

Old 10-18-2018, 05:26 AM

7 posts, read 23,380 times
Thank you!!!! This is helpful I think we can get something around 650,000 in Berwyn although we might be considered the poor neighbours! lol Berwyn and Wayne are near the top of the list.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:35 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Malvern area. I assume your husband is taking the train to Suburban Station?

Old 10-18-2018, 06:08 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,671 times
It'd probably help to make answers a bit more comprehensive, including replies about aspects of Philly life other than housing. Try posting replies to questions found at: Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information..

Old 10-18-2018, 06:49 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Media (19063) zipcode.

Offers the same if not better lifestyle compared to the Main Line, easy commute to Philadelphia and your budget will take you a bit further. And schools are equally excellent.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:51 AM

409 posts, read 370,436 times
It really depends on your location preferences:
  • If you need easy-access into Philadelphia: The Main Line
  • If you want the entire region at your fingertips: Blue Bell / Fort Washington
  • If you're willing to sacrifice proximity for value: Chester County

Edit: I just realized your husband will take the train into Philly often. In your case, it would be Main Line. $650k should get you a decent spread in Berwyn or Paoli.

Media/Swarthmore/Wallingford are nice and have train access, but Delaware County has a stigma about it that I have trouble shaking.

Last edited by Patmcpsu; 10-18-2018 at 12:08 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 12:03 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post

Edit: I just realized your husband will take the train into Philly often. In your case, it would be Main Line. Media/Swarthmore/Wallingford are nice and have train access, but Delaware County has a stigma about it that I have trouble shaking.
Stigma about what?

Old 10-18-2018, 12:12 PM

840 posts, read 693,815 times
Just curious (not being sarcastic) what is the stigma to Delco ? I've heard this before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post

Edit: I just realized your husband will take the train into Philly often. In your case, it would be Main Line. $650k should get you a decent spread in Berwyn or Paoli.

Media/Swarthmore/Wallingford are nice and have train access, but Delaware County has a stigma about it that I have trouble shaking.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:55 PM

409 posts, read 370,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Just curious (not being sarcastic) what is the stigma to Delco ? I've heard this before
My parents are both from Delaware County (Mom is from Springfield, Dad is from Drexel Hill) and I have lots of aunts/uncles/cousins who still live there.

There is a racial tension throughout Delco that's undeniable. Its eastern border is against west-Philly and its southernmost portion *is* Chester. Because of this, all the "white" school districts are paranoid about "outsiders sneaking their kids into our schools". If you look at the Media/Swarthmore/Wallingford proximity to Chester, the contrast between race and education is so vivid you can draw a line through it.

That racial tension doesn't exist on the Main Line, but that's primarily because racial diversity doesn't exist. I'm not saying that's an acceptable solution, but it's more of an ignorant bliss.

In short, Delco could use its diversity to turn it into a special little melting pot. But they don't.

*For the record, I live in a school district in Chester County that's 81% white, 13% asian and 1% black, so I'm just as guilty as the Main Liners.

**I'm always nervous writing about racial stuff on the internet, but just to be clear, my message is pro-diversity.

EDIT: It also doesn't help that my old high school principal became the superintendent at Upper Darby School District, only to get fired for being too progressive about race: http://www.philly.com/philly/educati...dent_flap.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia