U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 04:08 PM

410 posts, read 365,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Her problem is not lack of a place to stay but lack of money (There are thousands of properties in the area she can move into). I don't see how getting legal representation will address her financial situation. Continued stay is not in the best interests of her hosts.

There are numerous subsidized housing options out there, especially for the elderly. Legal services attorneys will be aware of these options and can help her navigate her options. It may ultimately be hopeless but someone competent should review her case. Of course it is not in the best interests of her landlords. Who said it would be? The landlords are still required to abide by the law for removing a tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 05:34 AM

912 posts, read 1,067,355 times
She could also look into shelters. Not ideal, but appropriate.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:44 AM

6,154 posts, read 6,619,995 times
Before we get to deep into leading this down the road to being critical of the landlord for wanting her to leave.....

OP do you know:
-- How long has this neighbor known she needed to move?

IF the landlord told her last week or even last month...OK the woman may need more time. That still doesn't mean she should get legal help with the intent of fighting to stay beyond what the law would require.

-- Where is this woman's family in all this? She has NO one she can move in with temporarily. (Forget the cats. They have to go.) Of course that person is taking the chance she won't leave there either without help, a push, assistance, etc.

Quote:
It would be thankless for the lady to refuse to move. The LL has helped her a lot over the years and the last thing she should do is refuse to leave or pay market rate for the apartment. This should not be treated like a tenancy.
Absolutely. This landlord has let her live there -- and with those cats -- for that little money.

Quote:
Does the landlord already have an ejectment order? For better or worse it can take a long time to actually remove a tenant from a property in Philadelphia. They can't eject her from the apartment without following the proper procedure.
Short of the required advance notice, the landlord in this case shouldn't have to defend or explain any other actions or factors in wanting her out. It's the owners' property. They've let her live there for next to nothing. Now it's time for her to go. Her lack of finances is not their problem.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:04 AM

1,050 posts, read 603,588 times
For $350 a month, she could find somewhere to stay on craigslist. Although at that price range you would have to sift through a lot of spam/fake listings.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...710073187.html

Old 10-30-2018, 09:48 AM

1,753 posts, read 487,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Before we get to deep into leading this down the road to being critical of the landlord for wanting her to leave.....

OP do you know:
-- How long has this neighbor known she needed to move?

IF the landlord told her last week or even last month...OK the woman may need more time. That still doesn't mean she should get legal help with the intent of fighting to stay beyond what the law would require.

-- Where is this woman's family in all this? She has NO one she can move in with temporarily. (Forget the cats. They have to go.) Of course that person is taking the chance she won't leave there either without help, a push, assistance, etc.

Absolutely. This landlord has let her live there -- and with those cats -- for that little money.

Short of the required advance notice, the landlord in this case shouldn't have to defend or explain any other actions or factors in wanting her out. It's the owners' property. They've let her live there for next to nothing. Now it's time for her to go. Her lack of finances is not their problem.
Unfortunately, I have recently witnessed this scenario. For whatever reason, the SSD that my neighbor was receiving wasn't enough to cover her rent. She'd been living there forever, so I suspect the management company probably raised it over the years to close to market which in my neighborhood for a studio is about $700.

So they gave her 3 months notice. She had no family. She was also mentally challenged enough that even though she could hold a conversation, she certainly wasn't capable of getting herself to a social services office. Neighbors offered to help, but in vain.

Finally after about 6 months they finally evicted her and last I heard she was in a shelter. A cautionary tale to be sure and very very sad.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:57 AM

29 posts, read 2,959 times
Update:

My senior neighbor told me she had a signed one-year lease (from the mother/original owner of the property) that lasted from 2002-2003.

Since then, she's lived at the current residence with NO renewed lease from the daughter/current landlady. My neighbor said she's kept all the receipts of monthly rental payments, going back to 2002.

The landlady is coming by the apartment on Friday, Nov. 2, 2018 to discuss drafing a "Letter of Intent" on my neighbor's behalf. My neighbor then plans to take this letter to a few senior centers in Mt. Airy to start the application process for emergency housing/permanent housing.

In the meantime, I've texted the address and phone number to the Senior Law Center (CC) and Community Legal Services of Philadelphia (CC and N. Philly offices) to her.

I also texted the phone number of Appletree Family Intake Center on Arch St. to her to see if they have emergency housing/vouchers.

Thanks, Kansas for your info about the legal services. It is most appreciated! Hopefully, everything will work out!

Old 11-01-2018, 12:54 PM

6,154 posts, read 6,619,995 times
I'm glad it seems the senior neighbor does plan to try to get out as soon as possible -- instead of trying to stay and squat in the house and force the owner to go through steps to have her forcibly removed.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:41 AM

4,118 posts, read 5,555,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Resourcer View Post
Update:

My senior neighbor told me she had a signed one-year lease (from the mother/original owner of the property) that lasted from 2002-2003.

Since then, she's lived at the current residence with NO renewed lease from the daughter/current landlady. My neighbor said she's kept all the receipts of monthly rental payments, going back to 2002.

The landlady is coming by the apartment on Friday, Nov. 2, 2018 to discuss drafing a "Letter of Intent" on my neighbor's behalf. My neighbor then plans to take this letter to a few senior centers in Mt. Airy to start the application process for emergency housing/permanent housing.

In the meantime, I've texted the address and phone number to the Senior Law Center (CC) and Community Legal Services of Philadelphia (CC and N. Philly offices) to her.

I also texted the phone number of Appletree Family Intake Center on Arch St. to her to see if they have emergency housing/vouchers.

Thanks, Kansas for your info about the legal services. It is most appreciated! Hopefully, everything will work out!
I'm impressed she texts. My Mom wouldn't even use a cell phone.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:17 AM

Location: I'm out searching for me... If you see me, let me know... ;--)
3,293 posts, read 1,724,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Resourcer View Post
Update:

Even with no lease, the landlord must go through the proper steps to evicting her tenant. Was she given a 30 days notice? When was she told about this?

Caution your neighbor not to sign a letter stating she'll move out in a week or two that's not fair. But if she did sign a letter stating that, she would have to move out then. Hopefully, the link with the legal help will help your neighbor.

I'm glad you're looking out for her and trying to help her. Blessings to both of you.

Last edited by Wild Flower; 11-02-2018 at 03:55 AM..

Old 11-12-2018, 10:36 PM

29 posts, read 2,959 times
Nov. 12, 2018 update:

My senior neighbor paid her October 2018 rent in full. She asked for an extension through Nov. 15, 2018, to which the landlady agreed. The landlady wrote a nice "Letter of Intent" for my neighbor and also offered the home's garage in which to store select belongings.

However, it is now Nov. 12 and my neighbor still hasn't secured housing. She's 76 and is handling her affairs, one at a time. She went to Suburban Station last week and received her Septa Senior Bus Pass ID. She also went to the Ogontz Penndot to have her state ID renewed. She took a cat and her kittens to ACCT a few weeks ago and another person picked up a cat from her for their home. I really wish she had asked for an extension right after Thanksgiving or Christmas to give her more time to move. She said she was afraid to do so, in fear of pissing off the landlady (or her monstrous husband).

One ray of hope: our local crossing guard told my neighbor a pastor along the 600 block of East Johnson St has rooms for rent. However, she couldn't recall his name or provide his actual house number along that block of Johnson St. I'm going to ask my friend (who just moved from the 600 block of Johnson St. over to the 6400 block of Chew Ave last year) if he knows this pastor. I really care for my senior neighbor and want to see her in a safe place. Per her request, I provided the number to Berkley Residence in Boston, the Y in Newark, and a few places in Feasterville, PA. She called these places, but none had availability or were priced beyond her budget. She is still looking to procure a housing voucher from an agency to help with rental costs in Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or