U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 04:10 AM

6,154 posts, read 6,619,995 times

Advertisements

You first posted on 10/27, the neighbor asked for "an extension" through 11/15.

Have you said when she was FIRST notified to leave and the deadline that she was given. (If you did, I missed it)
While I am NOT in favor of your neighbor fighting to stay beyond the time she is legally allowed -- I AM in favor of her being given a "reasonable" time frame to find other housing.

And less than a month isn't it. I believe ordinances in most case mandate a landlord give a tenant at least thirty days notice to vacate. So when your neighbor was first given official written notice to vacate is key.

Your neighbor has every intention of moving out....AND needs certain "assistance" shall we say. So in her case it's not unreasonable for her to use eviction protections to her advantage -- because IMO the landlord IS being a bit unreasonable....given how long they're let this entire situation go on...when it was to their advantage. NO doubt your neighbor was also part of the mutually beneficial arrangement.

And, IF all along the landlord had been clear that WHEN it's time for you to go it's going to be short notice so you need to be ready to leave, that would be one thing. Then it would have been on your neighbor to be ready to go on short notice. But that wasn't the case. In your neighbor's case 30 days its just not enough time.

Has she called any local groups or officials for...neighborhood community groups, her ward leader, city councilman's office...heck, Congressman's office. They might have staff that handle calls from senior citizens in need.

You're being so kind and thoughtful to try to hep her. I hope you're blessed for paying your kindness forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 08:10 AM

29 posts, read 2,959 times
Hi Selhars:

You said:

"Then it would have been on your neighbor to be ready to go on short notice. But that wasn't the case. In your neighbor's case 30 days its just not enough time."

I agree. In fact, I made it a point to my senior neighbor that it was not prudent to ask for just a two-week extension without first procuring alternate housing. The landlady is being pressured by her husband to complete renovations on the house; the contractors have been there every day in October and now November (including the weekends). They are making quite a mess to the front and back of the property with all the debris. The former tenants really tore up the second and top level of the house.

Anyway, the contractors will be working on the house easily into the beginning of January; they are waiting for my neighbor to vacate the basement, so they can get started on it after they complete the renovation to the upper floors.

Note: The landlady did offer to put my neighbor up in a room in North Philly, which would cost the landlady about $750 a month. My neighbor didn't want to be further indebted to the landlady, so she refused the offer. She fears it would cause a a new problem between the landlady and her husband if he found out about the offer. He has had "words" with my neighbor in the past; he doesn't like her and thinks she has overstayed her welcome. He just wants her out!

Last week, my neighbor joked that in a worst case scenario, she could ride Septa all day with her new bus pass until she finds a place to stay.

That broke my heart. I'm going to call some of the churches along Germantown Ave. this week to see if they have emergency housing.

My neighbor called Cindy Bass's offer last month and left a VM; they called back and gave her another number to call!

Should we call the Mayor's office for help?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:41 AM

1,050 posts, read 603,588 times
Rather than riding the train all day, has she considered working to supplement her income?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Resourcer View Post

Last week, my neighbor joked that in a worst case scenario, she could ride Septa all day with her new bus pass until she finds a place to stay.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:55 AM

12,470 posts, read 27,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Rather than riding the train all day, has she considered working to supplement her income?
Did you miss the part that she's 76 years old?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:36 PM

6,154 posts, read 6,619,995 times
Quote:
Should we call the Mayor's office for help?
Sure call anyone, and everyone, who might know someone who could help.

Quote:
the contractors have been there every day in October and now November (including the weekends). .....
Anyway, the contractors will be working on the house easily into the beginning of January;
As an aside of course, you could build a NEW house in that time. Are they taking EVERY room down to the studs and sub-floor? Geez.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:48 PM

Londoner:

Though she was trained in classical music, she sometimes worked as a back-up singer to a few well-known soul groups in the late '60s, early '70s. She once had music and church connections in Boston and New York City, but all of her close contacts have since died. Her dad was once an important figure in the Allen AME church in Jamaica, NY, but her past contacts within that church have either retired to another state or died. (I've tried to look up the names of friends she's given to me, without luck so far.)

Her parents and only sister predeceased her. Her one ex-husband passed away. Another ex may or may not still be alive. She never had kids with either man (opting to focus on her singing career), so it's just her.

She's regaled me with stories from her past; she sometimes states that if she could just get herself settled, she could possibly teach music to kids. I am not one to squash her dreams, so I just smile and listen to her stories. I think deep in her heart, she misses her old friends and just wants to live out the rest of her life in safety and peace.

I'm going to call Cherelle Parker's office on Wadsworth Ave. to see if they have any resources/advice.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:14 PM

Selhars:

That house has had drama, especially over the last two years. The middle apartment was rented to a 60-ish woman whose 30-ish son had many fits of anger due to his K2 (synthetic marijuana) addiction. He would often come home, blaring his music from his car at 2, 3, 4:00am in the morning! Also, he would fight with his girlfriend whenever she visited. You could hear their screaming all up and down our back driveway!

His mother had to call the cops on him numerous times, as he would tear up the apartment and threaten her with violence. The mother eventually threw him out and later left the apartment herself, without notifying her son as to her whereabouts. She begged my senior neighbor NOT to divulge her new location. Damn, isn't that something? Scared of one's own child! All of this drama from the middle apartment disturbed my neighbor's tranquility and scared her cats.

The top floor tenant, "A," just stopped paying rent and utilities; one night, she just took off without notice/making back payments. She hasn't been seen since.

As a result, the whole house is torn up! One of the contractors (who did repairs in my own house in August), told me the middle apartment "stank to high heaven." There was considerable damage to the bedroom walls, floors, bathroom. This is not a quick "patch up" job. The three contractors assigned to the house still have a lot to do before they go down to the basement to fix that up. I can only imagine how much money the landlady has put out to get that house market-ready!

I care for my senior neighbor, but I won't go inside her basement apartment, as it has mold, mice, cat smells, falling plaster, and a rotted screen door that my neighbor has to stuff newspapers underneath to keep out the draft/mice. (I have pictures of the screen door.)

I have to call it as I see it: the landlady can be classified as a slumlord! That's why I've been using the Internet to find resources for my neighbor; it's cold out here now and that basement apartment is not fit for continued habitation!

Old 11-13-2018, 03:29 PM

My neighbor called me on Nov. 13, 2018 at 3:30pm.

She is going to ask the landlady for ANOTHER extension into December, to give her time to check out some rooms for rent in Center City. The costs quoted to her were in the $650-$750 range for shared bath facilities. She stated she doesn't want to share a bath, but hey, she can't be choosey with the few options handed to her at this time.

In the meantime, she asked me to call The Women's Shelter in Bensalem (https://womensanimalcenter.org/about-us/staff-directory), to see if they will take in her five cats. I did call, but when a recording came on, I opted to email the shelter. I inquired if they could give her a senior discount, as the normal surrender fee is $50 per cat. I'm waiting for an emailed response.

I told my neighbor to focus on her own living situation and use the current savings she has to pay for moving costs and projected rental fees. She thinks she can spend $250 on surrendering the cats, $350 for November's rent, close to $2,000 for the new place's first/last month rent, plus moving expenses to the new place. It's just too much!

I'll keep my fingers crossed the landlady agrees to the extension (even though, as I stated earlier, the basement apartment is not fit for continued habitation). If she does, she will have to amend the Letter of Intent on behalf of my senior neighbor.

I called Cherelle Parker's office today and left a message for the office to call me back. I want to know if they have housing vouchers for my neighbor. With her social security at just $720 a month, she can't afford a $750 per month apartment.

Last edited by The_Resourcer; 11-13-2018 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: explanation

Old 11-14-2018, 01:20 AM

4,118 posts, read 5,555,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Resourcer View Post
My neighbor called me on Nov. 13, 2018 at 3:30pm.

She is going to ask the landlady for ANOTHER extension into December, to give her time to check out some rooms for rent in Center City. The costs quoted to her were in the $650-$750 range for shared bath facilities. She stated she doesn't want to share a bath, but hey, she can't be choosey with the few options handed to her at this time.

In the meantime, she asked me to call The Women's Shelter in Bensalem (https://womensanimalcenter.org/about-us/staff-directory), to see if they will take in her five cats. I did call, but when a recording came on, I opted to email the shelter. I inquired if they could give her a senior discount, as the normal surrender fee is $50 per cat. I'm waiting for an emailed response.

I told my neighbor to focus on her own living situation and use the current savings she has to pay for moving costs and projected rental fees. She thinks she can spend $250 on surrendering the cats, $350 for November's rent, close to $2,000 for the new place's first/last month rent, plus moving expenses to the new place. It's just too much!

I'll keep my fingers crossed the landlady agrees to the extension (even though, as I stated earlier, the basement apartment is not fit for continued habitation). If she does, she will have to amend the Letter of Intent on behalf of my senior neighbor.

I called Cherelle Parker's office today and left a message for the office to call me back. I want to know if they have housing vouchers for my neighbor. With her social security at just $720 a month, she can't afford a $750 per month apartment.
Oy vey, the cats again? I thought they were gone! And aren't they feral cats?

God bless you for everything you're doing for this woman. I hope if I ever get to that point, someone cares about me as much as you care about her.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:11 PM

Avalon:

She treats the cats as family, as she never had children. She gets testy whenever I propose options for the cats (like surrendering them to Morris, SPCA, Banfield, ACCT or just leaving them behind to fend for themselves, since they are outdoor cats).

She's afraid they will be killed in either scenario if not adopted by another family. I told her about the Working Cat Program at the Women's Animal Shelter in Bensalem, and that brightened her mood a bit. But this is a woman who has spent more money on these cats than on her own health. They are like Human kids to her. I'm just worried about her state of mind when she finally moves into a new place that forbids pets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or