Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 05:34 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,808,161 times

Advertisements

Well we are three and a half days in, just walked from the Museum of Art down the parkway at the early sunset to City Hall (we already got our LOVE shot a couple of days ago) and on to the hotel in about a half hour and we’ve both decided that this is without a doubt our favorite city in the country.

I know we are on a little vacation high but we are definite urban connoisseurs and know a great city when we’ve seen one. Not just a great city to visit but a city that we would desire to live in more than any just about any other city. The only cities of consequence that I haven’t been to is New Orleans, Miami and Chicago (my husband has been to Miami and New Orleans), and while we would have a great time in New Orleans and Miami we would never ever want to live in either of those two cities and I know (and certainly my husband knows me) I wouldn’t find either of those cities better than Philadelphia. That leaves Chicago which of course as an architect it’s without question I’m gonna love that city, but I’ll just leave it to that visit to see if it trumps Philly.

That’s not to say that there aren’t some great smaller cities still out there that we would (and do) both love but as far as a big city we are fully engaged to Philadelphia.

Speaking of engagements the wedding was stunning. The venue was the Free Library and the ceremony was held in the classical architectural perfection of the lobby with us looking out over Logan Square (its a circle?). The ravishing bride descending the white marble staircase from the back and the ridiculously handsome groom, a combat veteran from tours of the Afghanistan war, in full Marine Blues and rows of ribbons standing ram rod straight. They are the kind of couple whom even in street clothes photos of them would be in picture frames you buy. The 2nd floor had the initial reception and it felt like a museum, full of love and cocktails and tray passed hors d’oeuvres and happy people. The penthouse ballroom with its huge terrace overlooking the stunning skyline of Philadelphia at night was breathtaking!

We’ve hit up several museums, a couple of historic architecture tours, walked down to see the rusting SS United States (my idea and not a great one but still enjoyed the riverfront until we got to backside of Walmart), met a local who works for a city councilman with that great Philly skyline as a simple linework tattoo on his inner bicep- excited to add the recently completed tallest building to it. Had a delightful dinner at Talula’s Garden on the rainy Friday night and ended up at One Tipping Place (where the bride and groom had their first date and later proposed) which we loved, Rich the bartender is awesome. We tried to get in the Ranstead Room but weren’t hip, young or something enough to get the call back after we put our name in, even with our beautiful young niece with us. Speaking of, what is it with all the hidden bar fronts? You guys don’t make it easy to clamor on into your cool bars haha. Got into the Wanamaker building but right when we were getting a great spiel from a local women who worked there for decades and was regaling in some great stories some crazy fire alarm or something forced everyone out the door.

So tonight I think its clarified milk punch and dinner at Banks and Bourbon unless you suggest otherwise. Tomorrow looks to be a great rainy day which we are excited for and our flight isn’t until 6:00 PM so we’ll be takin in another couple of museums, Barnes Foundation and another Philly Cheesesteak. I’ll be looking over the previous recommendations to finish things up right.

LOVE YOUR CITY! If we don’t move here we will forever be coming here at least once a year for the rest of our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 07:37 AM

273 posts, read 204,902 times
Glad you had such a great experience. Come back again soon!

Old 11-05-2018, 09:10 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,669,857 times
OP, if you are still around you will love Chicago. But it's a terrific testimonial that you visited a place you had not been to before and came away so impressed.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:05 PM

409 posts, read 364,818 times
If you like Philadelphia, and haven't been to Chicago yet, I am willing to bet you'll be impressed by Chicago.

Philly and Chicago are very similar cities. Philly has more history, but Chicago has more "nice things" like airport transportation, architecture, waterfront, and a slight edge on restaurants/nightlife.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:08 PM

9,340 posts, read 9,200,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
If you like Philadelphia, and haven't been to Chicago yet, I am willing to bet you'll be impressed by Chicago.

Philly and Chicago are very similar cities. Philly has more history, but Chicago has more "nice things" like airport transportation, architecture, waterfront, and a slight edge on restaurants/nightlife.
This is the only one where I disagree. I find both Philadelphia and Chicago to be the most architecturally significant cities in the US (outside of New York).

I personally think Philadelphia has a lot more architectural gems within its respective downtown area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia