U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 16,766 times
Default Moving to Norristown, PA - Need some advice, please help...

I'm planning on moving to Curren Terrace, an apartment complex @ 1011 New Hope Street. Any advice or info about this part of Norristown? I'm not at all familiar with the city, but all I've read so far about it sounds very scary. My intent is to live there for about a year, while working on purchasing a home in any suburb near KoP where I'll be working. I'll be moving with my wife and our eight year old daughter. Any info or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 12,263 times
hi norry, i'm also in the process of moving with my husband and 7 yr old daughter.. our family intentions are very similiar in that we plan on living in an apartment and then buying a house.i have been advised not to go into norristown and from my research on the schools, although it seems very diverse the scores don't seem to represent a very progressive school. for example on greatschools.net and schoolmatters.org they don't score very highly on their state exams and according to their school report cards they have not met the AYP.

Additionally I have quite a few family members in montgomery county and all are in education like myself. they've all advised me strongly against Norristown.. so now i've refocused my search on the colonial school district (plymouth,whitemarsh,conshochocken) and abington (jenkintown,abington huntingdon valley and roslyn) in fact there is an amazing complex in huntingdon valley a korman community.. which was absolutely gorgeous.. too bad they only had 2 bedrooms and we need a 3..

Good luck!!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:19 AM

25,156 posts, read 30,831,750 times
That part of Norristown is just fine. It's the kind of neighborhood where people are always out walking their dogs, etc. I don't, however, know anything about the specific apartment complex.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 AM

5,079 posts, read 8,609,139 times
I'm sorry and I'm sure I'll catch heck for this but as a long time PA resident (Horsham). Norristown is a pitt and I would never move there or raise my kids there. You can find outlying areas that are much better. Just my honest opinion.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:43 AM

2,866 posts, read 4,894,405 times
I'll second Ohiogirl. You're talking about the more suburban outskirts of Norristown, not the scary inner part. You shouldn't have many problems with crime. Not so sure about schools though.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:06 PM

25,156 posts, read 30,831,750 times
The Norristown school district does seem to have a higher percentage than neighboring districts of special needs kids etc., which not only presents a challenge to the district's overall scores, but also chews up a lot of the district's resources. That certainly is not the fault of the kids that need those resources; it's just the way it is.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:46 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,869,056 times
I know where the location is, and as other people have said, this is a generally safe area. In fact, I first thought that this was Plymouth, not Norristown. I would def feel safe living there, and I worked right down the road from your future home. I never had any qualms about working late, as this is a highly residential area, and not in the scary part of Norristown (which is quite far from you). You should not worry about living there, although I will agree that Norristown SD is not the best...

Old 05-09-2008, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 9,321 times
I just joined this site just so I could make a post. I have been in Norristown my 26 years of living. I have seen some very interesting things happen in the area, which is down the street from the apartments. That area is really not that bad I walk my daughter almost every day and I walk past the apartments, I usually pass a few dog walkers and we exchange greetings. There is a park and a track just down the street to the back of the apartments. There are a lot of kids in the area. As for the school system, I survived and I wouldn't harm a fly. They have many great teachers that have been in the district for years. Good luck with your decision!

Old 05-09-2008, 05:07 PM

240 posts, read 410,729 times
where is the scary part of Norristown?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:25 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,232,972 times
The part that's spelled "N-o-r-r-i-s-t-o-w-n". But seriously, living there is one thing, subjecting your child to the schools, a whole other kettle of fish. Best to enroll her in Catholic school so she gets the best education in the safest environment possible. I would really worry about the impact of the other kids going to school with her...there are parts of Norristown that are ghetto with a capital G...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia