U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 07:11 AM

8,387 posts, read 4,525,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Yeah, I'm not buying it. I mean what is there to hate? The weather is fairly moderate, the city is big but not TOO big, the healthcare is top-notch, great restaurant and arts scenes, it's a passionate sports town, has a lot of history and beautiful architecture, is not all that expensive compared to other areas of the country, is right in the middle of NYC and D.C. and only two hours to the Jersey shore. I'll have to be on the lookout for any of these Negative Nellies to see what their gripes are.

Oh, MarketStreetEl, I love the featured property in Philly Mag, but could you make it longer? There are never enough photos of the renovated properties. So please work your magic!
The issue, at least on this board, is the transplants believe that folks like you or me( I have lived in the Phila area my entire life; I'm 69), don't really appreciate all of the wonderful benefits of living here as much as they do. That's laughable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
^^^
MarketStEl

This is great! And yes I was confusing Germantown with Chestnut Hill

I’ll look further into some of the deep resources of information you are and have been providing.

Thanks!

We are celebrating a wonderful rainy storm in San Diego, so much so we made a fire in the fireplace after a walk in the sprinkles last night - both of us excitedly texting each other during work yesterday and Thursday about the waves of rain as it made its way through - that’s how much we miss weather lol.
FYI, The northwest part of the city is beautiful. Tons of trees and includes Wissahickon Park which is an extension of Fairmount Park. Lots of folks are, generally, blown away that it's part of the city. Morris Arboretum is also in Chestnut Hill. The neighborhoods are Germantown( yes, it was settled by Germans), East and West Mt Airy, Chestnut Hill, Roxborough, Manayunk, and East Falls. Every year Revolutionary War reenactors reenact the Battle of Germantown.

Believe it or not we have had drought here but nothing like out west. We've also had snowless winters.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:42 AM

3,842 posts, read 1,852,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Yeah, I'm not buying it. I mean what is there to hate? The weather is fairly moderate, the city is big but not TOO big, the healthcare is top-notch, great restaurant and arts scenes, it's a passionate sports town, has a lot of history and beautiful architecture, is not all that expensive compared to other areas of the country, is right in the middle of NYC and D.C. and only two hours to the Jersey shore. I'll have to be on the lookout for any of these Negative Nellies to see what their gripes are.

Oh, MarketStreetEl, I love the featured property in Philly Mag, but could you make it longer? There are never enough photos of the renovated properties. So please work your magic!
I've been told I should keep the photos to about 8 to 10 max, but maybe I can revisit this.

The industry reads me. They want Joe and Jane Homebuyer to read me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The issue, at least on this board, is the transplants believe that folks like you or me( I have lived in the Phila area my entire life; I'm 69), don't really appreciate all of the wonderful benefits of living here as much as they do. That's laughable!
Not really a direct experience, but a stat for you two True Believers to chew on. This comes from the foreword to Marc Stein's book "City of Sisterly and Brotherly Loves," about LGBT activism in Philadelphia before Stonewall (I put the author, who started his research into this book while a history graduate student at Penn, in touch with one of the sources he used). I don't seem to have the book handy (which means it may still be at my ex's place), so I'm paraphrasing.

In the foreword, Stein explains the difficulties he had in getting his book off the ground. One of them was this: He didn't like Philadelphia all that much. (He's not a native, and he is now on the faculty of York University in Toronto.) Then he ran across a newspaper article that reported on a survey that found that 60 percent of all the Philadelphians who responded to it said they would rather be living somewhere else, and at that, he decided he fit right in. After that, he wrote, the city grew on him as he continued his research, and he even came to love it.

Shoot, I was dragged here kicking and screaming myself. I really loved living in Boston. But this place grew on me real quick, and I didn't need to consult a survey for that to happen.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Not really a direct experience, but a stat for you two True Believers to chew on. This comes from the foreword to Marc Stein's book "City of Sisterly and Brotherly Loves," about LGBT activism in Philadelphia before Stonewall (I put the author, who started his research into this book while a history graduate student at Penn, in touch with one of the sources he used). I don't seem to have the book handy (which means it may still be at my ex's place), so I'm paraphrasing.

In the foreword, Stein explains the difficulties he had in getting his book off the ground. One of them was this: He didn't like Philadelphia all that much. (He's not a native, and he is now on the faculty of York University in Toronto.) Then he ran across a newspaper article that reported on a survey that found that 60 percent of all the Philadelphians who responded to it said they would rather be living somewhere else, and at that, he decided he fit right in. After that, he wrote, the city grew on him as he continued his research, and he even came to love it.

Shoot, I was dragged here kicking and screaming myself. I really loved living in Boston. But this place grew on me real quick, and I didn't need to consult a survey for that to happen.

Yes, you've mentioned this stuff before. I don't need to reminded, okay? Lol.

Clearly my experiences, along with how see Avalon sees things and/or has experienced things among localites, are different.

I suppose it sounds like you are trying to invalidate our point of view or what we have said.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:50 PM

4,689 posts, read 7,155,812 times
Germantown and it’s surroundings actually look very nice taking a little closer look. I really like that profile you wrote on it MktStEl - the photo of everyone taking advantage of the restaurants moving out into the streets a few nights a year reminds me of our neighborhood here, where we have quarterly Walkabouts where all the local shops, restaurants and pubs are open for the evening showcasing the commercial village vibe of it- we just had one on Saturday.

Also Mt. Airy looks like it is worth a look. Man, and when you get out of Center City you can get a lot more for your money if stay away from the few grand old houses in the area. That $650k figure was really just kind of flipping the other, similar post- we would hope we get something decent for far less than that it it looks like if you go a few short miles out you can. We could handle a quick 1/2 ride on the rails into the city for more urban fun and hang out with the locals in the commercial districts there most of the time.

He suggested RE sites are very helpful- thanks again!

Old 12-04-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Germantown and it’s surroundings actually look very nice taking a little closer look. I really like that profile you wrote on it MktStEl - the photo of everyone taking advantage of the restaurants moving out into the streets a few nights a year reminds me of our neighborhood here, where we have quarterly Walkabouts where all the local shops, restaurants and pubs are open for the evening showcasing the commercial village vibe of it- we just had one on Saturday.

Also Mt. Airy looks like it is worth a look. Man, and when you get out of Center City you can get a lot more for your money if stay away from the few grand old houses in the area. That $650k figure was really just kind of flipping the other, similar post- we would hope we get something decent for far less than that it it looks like if you go a few short miles out you can. We could handle a quick 1/2 ride on the rails into the city for more urban fun and hang out with the locals in the commercial districts there most of the time.

He suggested RE sites are very helpful- thanks again!
I mentioned Overbrook Farms. It's another neighborhood you might want to look at. The houses are mostly amazing and it is a very green neighborhood.

The problem with Germantown (and I like the NW part of the city) is that you home equity will not increase very much over time. If you intend to buy property it's something you might want keep in mind.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:05 AM

586 posts, read 357,254 times
Quote:
The sense of community we have here and is now an angle in this post is a powerful driver in our assessment and is honestly the most important parameter to us.

We were welcomed by the octogenarians as neighbors on both sides of us as the slightly nervous gay couple buying our first house when we moved in as warmly as with the Navy pilots across the street with their fun and beautiful wives with whom we all became fabulous friends.

There has been the typical changes, deaths, divorces and moving away that is inevitable in any neighborhood over the years but we are still in contact with those Navy pilots and families over 20 years later. The family a couple doors down (it turns out our house was built as the wedding present for the daughter of the original owner) with the four girls, the youngest, six, when we moved in - she was in our business immediately - now in her twenties with her photographer boyfriend are still super close with and all of her sisters. We regularly brought over meals to the elderly neighbors for years who now have died off, now, new fun neighbors have just moved in- we are still bringing food over. I recruited a cute couple I met at an open house 10 years ago, telling them that the canyon cul-de-sacs were the magical places to be. I revealed to them the house a few doors down from ours, custom built in the early fifties by a couple now in their 90s and failing, they listened and bought the house 18 months later and now we are the best of friends and we are best buds with their 18 month old son so much so that we just installed a verboten lawn in the back just to have him come over more often. We are also best friends with the former marine and his adorable wife two doors down that moved in 10 years ago, I designed their kitchen and lower level, he built us a deck- trade. The couple with whom we were great friends with divorced and we took under our wing the husband who ended marrying a wonderful woman and now have two kids that we have grown up with and are “Guncles” to. We went to their wedding in Mexico, he married us in our garden( in the ‘08 window, 21 years after we’ve been together), I designed for them a master bedroom suite off their small, but beautiful 100 y.o California Craftsman just to ensure that they would stay as our neighbors as their family overtook their house.
This sounds wonderful and it's rare in this day and age to have this kind of community among neighbors! I truly don't understand why you want to move! Lol.

That said, we would love to have you on this coast!

Old 12-04-2018, 02:16 PM

3,842 posts, read 1,852,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

I suppose it sounds like you are trying to invalidate our point of view or what we have said.
No, I'm not.

But I am saying that historically, it has been a minority view among locals.

But Philadelphians are also paradoxical in several ways. It was my ex, who considered this place hopelessly parochial, who decided I should move here rather than he move to Boston because I took insufficient interest in his career.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
No, I'm not.

But I am saying that historically, it has been a minority view among locals.

But Philadelphians are also paradoxical in several ways. It was my ex, who considered this place hopelessly parochial, who decided I should move here rather than he move to Boston because I took insufficient interest in his career.
Most of the gay man I know in the city, past and present, have had some kind of connection to the arts in some fashion whether it was music or fine arts/visual arts. It doesn't/didn't seem like they thought Philadelphia was all that parochial.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:46 PM

4,142 posts, read 5,571,538 times
This discussion reminds me of something that made me laugh recently. It was on "Real Housewives of Orange County" (yes, I sometimes watch trashy reality TV, but in this case it's because I used to live in OC and I love seeing all the scenery). Now, I have to tell you, when I lived out there, my experience was that Californians didn't care about anything else than their own world. If you said you were from Philadelphia, they had no interest in anything about it, even just as a matter of small-talk. Not putting them down, that's just how it is. So in this one episode of RHOC, which involves wealthy housewives living the glamorous life, one of the ladies has her mother come to visit. The mother still lives in Ohio somewhere. At one point, they're at a party and the mother is blathering on to her daughter's friends with how great Ohio is, how much she loves living in Ohio, yadda yadda. Of course their eyes are glazing over. It was just funny to me, like "Lady, if you think these people care one whit about Ohio...."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or