U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 07:16 AM

6,191 posts, read 6,642,855 times

Advertisements

Is there a thread on gas stations in this city?

When I visit the Mount Airy/Cedarbrook area I don't pass ANY cheap gas stations. People there are paying though the nose for gas. Geez. Everyone I know there gets their gas outside the city.

Of course, I don't know those areas well. So if there IS a cheap gas place, I certainly don't pass it on my main routes.

Other than Wawa (which isn't as cheap as it used to be) Philly doesn't have that many cheap gas places (that I know of.) Thank goodness I can get to Delaware from time to time.

I suppose it's all about supply and demand, like any other product or commodity. But, darn it, I'm not glad I'm not captive to places in the city. God forbid if I had to get gas in most part of this town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 07:34 AM

3,199 posts, read 2,698,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

When I visit the Mount Airy/Cedarbrook area I don't pass ANY cheap gas stations. People there are paying though the nose for gas. Geez. Everyone I know there gets their gas outside the city.

You can blame Act 89 of 2013 (a product of the corrupt PA legislature- signed by Gov. Corbett), which raised the PA gas tax to the highest level in the USA. A good chunk of that increase goes to SEPTA. And here we have an admission that "Everyone... gets their gas outside of the city" (in New Jersey or Delaware?) leaving the rest of the state to subsidize SEPTA. Most towns in the PA hinterlands are not served by intercity bus services and if you don't have a car, you are out of luck. The legislature should have at least allowed for an intercity bus subsidy for rural areas.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:15 AM

True, gas is cheaper in some neighboring states.
But IF the gas tax is state wide equally, then the fact that gas is cheaper outside the city, in its surrounding suburbs, is NOT the fault of the gas tax. Is it?

Don't get me wrong. I don't go to DEL or NJ (which is still a little cheaper but just not worth the toll anymore), just to get gas. BUT, if I know I'm going those places, I sure as heck make sure I'm as close to "E" as I can get to fill up.

Last edited by selhars; 11-26-2018 at 08:29 AM..

Old 11-26-2018, 11:37 AM

1,052 posts, read 607,565 times
OP is saying gas prices are higher in the city (than in the suburbs).

@OP, it's not just gas prices but just about everything else. Living in the city comes at a premium. Save for property taxes, I can't think of anything that is cheaper in the city than in the suburbs/exurbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You can blame Act 89 of 2013 (a product of the corrupt PA legislature- signed by Gov. Corbett), which raised the PA gas tax to the highest level in the USA. A good chunk of that increase goes to SEPTA. And here we have an admission that "Everyone... gets their gas outside of the city" (in New Jersey or Delaware?) leaving the rest of the state to subsidize SEPTA. Most towns in the PA hinterlands are not served by intercity bus services and if you don't have a car, you are out of luck. The legislature should have at least allowed for an intercity bus subsidy for rural areas.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:29 PM

^^ Sure enough. Which is why I do almost no shopping in the city.
I just noticed that the gas prices I saw in Mt. Airy were higher than in SW.
I passed gas stations in NW Philly and was like, "damn, these gas prices are crazy."

Old 11-26-2018, 02:47 PM

5,325 posts, read 1,549,834 times
highest gas tax in the USA. Pennsylvania

Old 11-26-2018, 04:11 PM

156 posts, read 92,682 times
Try

https://www.gasbuddy.com

To find cheap gas !

Old 11-26-2018, 05:04 PM

1,052 posts, read 607,565 times
In addition to road tolls for those who's commute includes the turnpike and/or the bridges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
highest gas tax in the USA. Pennsylvania

Old 11-26-2018, 05:07 PM

13,977 posts, read 7,554,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
^^^^^This. It seems both R's and D's wanted this, as it was a Bi-Partisan bill (co-sponsored by an R, and D) then signed by a Republican Governor. It is now $.58/per gallon which is as stated above the highest in the U.S.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:42 PM

4,892 posts, read 12,250,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^This. It seems both R's and D's wanted this, as it was a Bi-Partisan bill (co-sponsored by an R, and D) then signed by a Republican Governor. It is now $.58/per gallon which is as stated above the highest in the U.S.
If you are in Delaware it pays to fill up. Can save 40-50 cents a gallon. They just built a couple new gas super gas stations on the PA/Del line to keep up with demand(Wawa + Dash-IN. They are always jam packed with cars mostly from PA. Its a madhouse there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or